Players who Filed for Arbitration

hf101

Players filed for Salary Arbitration as of yesterday's deadline.  Most notable are those who's teams are struggling with the salary cap as with the Red Wings and Rangers.   Salary Arbitration hearings begin July 20 - Aug 4 if teams do not meet an agreement prior to the scheduled hearing.

• Avalanche Matt Nieto
  • Blues Colton Parayko
  • Bruins Ryan Spooner
  • Buffalo Sabres Johan Larsson, Nathan Beaulieu, and Robin Lehner
  • Canucks Reid Boucher and Michael Chaput
  • Coyotes Jordan Martinook
  • Flames Micheal Ferland
  • Golden Knights Nate Schmidt
  • Islanders Calvin de Haan
  • Jets Connor Hellebuyck
  • Kings Kevin Gravel
  • Lightning Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson
  • Oilers Joey LaLeggia
  • Penguins Conor Sheary and Brian Dumoulin
  • Predators Viktor Arvidsson, Austin Watson and, Marek Mazanec
  • Rangers Mika Zibanejad
  • Red Wings Tomas Tatar
  • Senators Ryan Dzingel and Jean-Gabriel Pageau
  • Wild Mikael Granlund and Nino Niederreiter

I've always wondered what does it REALLY mean when a player files for arbitration.

--Does it mean that player and the team simply cannot come to an agreement on a deal?

--Or does it mean simply that a GM has something in mind for an offer, but just has not gotten around to it (usually because other matters were more pressing) and he puts the player on "the back burner" and allows arbitration to take place to ease some of the contract workload off his plate?

--Perhaps its even a strategic play by a GM.  They KNOW what they want to offer the player, they think the player may not accept that offer, but also know the player hasn't had the best season, so arbitration will award an amount comparable to other players who had similar "down" years....and it is usually something that the team would consider "team friendly".

That last one is the one I believe Steve Yzerman is employing.

Both Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson, did not have the best years last season. 

Yzerman is always wary of the cap and probably has a number in mind for the players.

Rather than offering then having the player reject the offer based on their mediocre seasons, he lets the case go to arbitration where he will either have more time to deal with the player agents, or arbitration will award each player a salary that is suited to the sort of season they had.

All speculation on my part, of course, but I also wonder if any of these scenarios cause 'bad feelings' between players and teams, or is this just "doing business as usual" for both parties.

Anyways, some players on this list may do well with arbitration due to the seasons they had, while others, like Palat and Johnson, may have to settle for less for the same reasons.

I think Niedderreiter and Granlund may do well as both had break out type seasons for themselves at this point in their careers.

Rangers' Mika Zibanejad also had a very nice season, as most CERTAINLY did the Predators' Viktor Arvidsson.

Red Wings' Tomas Tatar with a 25 G, 45 point season? Not his best, but not bad either. He may end up with a similar salary to what he was making already.

The Sens' Pageau regressed slightly from his previous year (though I seem to remember him coming up with some important goals for his team at points last season).

Then we have guys like the Jets' Connor Hellebuyck and the Isles' Calvin De Haan, who both had ok seasons (in De Haan's case, one of his better ones production wise to this point in his career)...yet their numbers are still sorta middling overall.

Which should lead to an interesting decision regarding salary.

So arbitration....bad thing, good thing, does it depend on the case, or just business as usual and players will just let the agents and GM's hammer it out while they focus on the ice?

@TropicalFruitGirl26   As I understand  it this only applies to the RFA's on the team. Any RFA"s that the team wants to keep are given "qualifying" offers to hold their place in the organization.  I think if they are not given
qualifying" offers, then they become UFA's. If a "qualifying" offer is made,  a couple of things can happen.  

1) The player can jump for joy at the offer and re-sign.

2) Another team can make a better offer to the RFA with an offer sheet, at which point if the RFA accepts it, the original team can either match the offer and keep him, or let him go to the new team and get compensation in the terms of draft picks.

3) The player can ask for arbitration in order to get more on his contract than the teams "qualifying"offer. At that point the team makes it case for the contract and the player makes his case.  The arbitrator then decides what the contract value will be.   I think when the arbitrator decides it is only for one year.  But during this process, if it is not handled well, hard feelings can come up if the team basically says "Heck this guy sucks and is only worth this much".

I think there may be a fourth choice, if the players is not offered anything from another team, if he declines the "qualifying" offer, he basically sits for the year, 

24 minutes ago, nossagog said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26   As I understand  it this only applies to the RFA's on the team. Any RFA"s that the team wants to keep are given "qualifying" offers to hold their place in the organization.  I think if they are not given
qualifying" offers, then they become UFA's. If a "qualifying" offer is made,  a couple of things can happen.  

1) The player can jump for joy at the offer and resign.

2) Another team can make a better offer to the RFA with an offer sheet, at which point if the RFA accepts it, the original team can either match the offer and keep him, or let him go to the new team and get compensation in the terms of draft picks.

3) The player can ask for arbitration in order to get more on his contract than the teams "qualifying"offer. At that point the team makes it case for the contract and the player makes his case.  The arbitrator then decides what the contract value will be.   I think when the arbitrator decides it is only for one year.  But during this process, if it is not handled well, hard feelings can come up if the team basically says "Heck this guy sucks and is only worth this much".

I think there may be a fourth choice, if the players is not offered anything from another team, if he declines the "qualifying" offer, he basically sits for the year, 

Worth noting that none of those who filed last year actually "went to trial". :VeryCool:

Players often file for arbitration to put a clock on negotiations. Rarely does it actually get to a hearing, and it doesn't mean anything as far as how players and management feel about each other.

Thanks guys.

Certainly makes things more clear for me.

Sounds to me then, that arbitration cases can vary wildly depending on the player and team in question.

It can be something that DOES cause a sort of rift, or it can be business as usual and just used as other channels to determine fair value of a contract.

I was a bit worried about the two Bolts players at first because I thought they may been asking for "the moon" coming off bad seasons and Yzerman might have chuckled at the notion.

I can't see Yzerman purposely low balling a player, but I can certainly see him NOT wanting to hand out a large contract based on who the player is rather than what he has done.

Like I said, neither Palat nor Johnson had particularly good seasons as we've seen both those guys do much, much more in the past.

Yzerman, I would imagine, would like to keep these guys on at a fair price, but also not harm the team's ability to have flexibility come trade deadline time.........or if certain other contracts (Girardi and/or Kunitz come to mind) don't work out as well as the GM would have liked.

In keeping with teams I follow, I wonder what Minnesota will be doing about Granlund and Niedderreiter.

I know Granlund, before Minny gave him his 'bridge deal' was asking for something in the 6M+ range.

The Wild weren't ready to offer him that at the time.......and I am still not sure, even though he had a good season, whether he is worth that much still.

Niedderreiter probably comes out with something like what was given TB's Alex Killorn....something in the 4M range per.

They are similar players, who play similar roles for their teams.....that is to say, top 9 player who will get some PP time as well, while scoring at a reasonable clip, and providing some grinding if need be.

Archived