Predators In The News

Former Predators defenseman Kevin Klein officially retires from the NHL. A great team player, hard worker and underrated defenseman. Trading Klein for Michael Del Zotto was one of the few mistakes David Poile has made as a GM. 

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/new-york-rangers-defenseman-kevin-klein-announces-retirement/c-290320772

14 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

Former Predators defenseman Kevin Klein officially retires from the NHL. A great team player, hard worker and underrated defenseman. Trading Klein for Michael Del Zotto was one of the few mistakes David Poile has made as a GM. 

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/new-york-rangers-defenseman-kevin-klein-announces-retirement/c-290320772

The ironic thing here is, at the time, many felt Nashville got the better end of that deal.

No doubt Michael Del Zotto and Kevin Klein are two completely different types of defensemen, but if I remember correctly, more people felt Nashville getting MDZ's offense with just a bit of defense was better than getting a "slower" Klein with little to no offense.

Of course, things didn't work out that way, and MDZ was soon moved on elsewhere, while Kevin Klein, while going through a few injuries as a Ranger, was basically a solid guy for them during the time he was available to them.

I guess you could call it a 'win' on the trade front between NY and Nashville in that particular case?

But moving on from the teams, and to the players themselves, MDZ may still have the last word, as Klein is now retired, and Del Zotto has a chance for redemption, either as a member of the Vegas Knights, or, if he does well there and the Knights miss the playoffs (very likely), he gets traded to a contender and can try for a Cup then.

But overall, yes, former Pred Klein turned out to be very underrated and a significant loss for NY on defense in his retirement.

Maybe at the time some fans around the league thought the Preds won that trade, but most of the hardcore fans in Nashville knew we lost right away. Klein was super underrated offensively, he even transitioned to RW when he was trying to break into the league because it didn't seem like he'd ever be able to crack a defensive lineup that had Timonen, Weber, Suter and Hamhuis. 

But what was really the killer in that trade, was that Klein wanted to be a Predator. This was right after Suter lied his way out of town, and Weber signed the offer sheet. Klein actually signed for a bit of a discount and talked about how much he loved Nashville and being a Predator and he wanted to sign and ensure that he stayed. Then Poile ends up trading him, or basically throwing him away since we chose not to re-sign MDZ after 25 games. 

The only thing I could say positive about it, was that it came at a time when Poile didn't seem to be able to make adjustments, he and Trotz were trying to save their jobs at the time. Trotz didn't make it, and you have to think one of the factors was that he couldn't adjust and integrate a player like Del Zotto. I bet that MDZ would have been a much better pickup in Laviolette's system. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2017/08/23/nashville-predators-tv-radio-broadcast-teams-undergo-changes/589882001/

Stu Grimson is out as color commentator on the TV broadcast, he will be replaced by Chris Mason. This is a HUGE positive for the Preds broadcast, Stu is a nice guy and he obviously knows the game from a grinder/enforcer standpoint, but he was just not good at broadcasting it and he too often championed the 4th line guys without much to offer in the way of analysis on skilled players. Chris Mason always did in-game interviews from the bench when he was the backup goalie and he's slowly been taking on more and more broadcast opportunities with the organization over the years. I think he's going to be fantastic. Willy Daunic remains on play-by-play, a former Vanderbilt basketball player, he was terrible when he started the job but has slowly improved into something passable, he's a likable guy too so that helps, I think having Mason in the booth will boost him even further.

On radio Brent Peterson is stepping away, most likely due to a progression of his Parkinson's disease. Brent was so knowledgeable about the game and gave amazing insights, he struggled to get the words out but they were well worth listening to. He is going to be replaced by Hal Gill, I have no idea how well Gill will do with the role but I can't imagine anyone would be able to falter next to Pete Weber who is a play-by-play god. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ESPN Ranks Predators as No. 1 Franchise in All Sports!!!   :plus1:

Not just in the NHL but of ALL SPORTS.

ESPN's Ultimate Standings compiled fan surveys and financial analysis to determine which franchises give back the most to fans. Customer service, ticket prices, social media engagement, website and app accessibility and usage were just some of the categories listed as to why the Predators received the top spot.

https://www.nhl.com/app/predators/news/espn-ranks-nashville-predators-as-no-1-franchise-in-all-sports/c-292203746

:goodjob:

Bridgestone Arena also won Arena of the Year... again, lol 

If there's one thing that Craig Liarpold did right, it was getting things started with a culture of "Ridiculous Customer Service". From day 1 the arena experience has been fantastic. 

• hf101 pinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 9:30 AM, Honest Bender said:

A place to share Predators news articles which don't necessarily deserve their own thread.

tolvanen-1040x572.jpg

Predators break precedent with fully-loaded contract for Tolvanen

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/predators-break-precedent-fully-loaded-contract-tolvanen/

Preds going for it this year. I have to say it may not be a popular move but i agree they are loading up!!!!

They win a Cup it will be worth burning a year of his entry level deal.........someone else tell me it's not!!!!!!!!

• pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Archived