Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
FriendlyGuitarist

NHL's best/top shooter

Who do you say is the NHL's best shooter? This is someone who knows when to shoot instead of passing the puck to a team mate. For me I would say it is Alex Ovechkin.

This year I think Laine from the 'peg becomes the best shooter.

He has maybe the top release in the league...just filthy, if not the quickest and hardest shot in the NHL it's top 2.

Plus I like that he plays with a little chip on his shoulder, he didn't like being drafted behind Matthews.

I like P Kane's nose for scoring too, he's great at changing the angle of his release at the last second. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This year I think Laine from the 'peg becomes the best shooter.

He has maybe the top release in the league...just filthy, if not the quickest and hardest shot in the NHL it's top 2.

Plus I like that he plays with a little chip on his shoulder, he didn't like being drafted behind Matthews.

I like P Kane's nose for scoring too, he's great at changing the angle of his release at the last second. 

Totally agree, that shot of Laine's is just wicked. He can pick a corner with just the size of the puck open....consistently. Just one of those kids with a God given shot. He actually reminds me a bit of Mike Bossy. 

Edited by jammer2

I'd like to nominate either Anaheim's Rickard Rakell or Nashville's Viktor Arvidsson.

Both those guys had career years and their production rivaled that of Laine.

But also, both Arvidsson and Rakell shoot with very good accuracy, particularly from the mid to close ranges.

Seems to me, whenever either of those two got a clean shot at the goalie or they got into a one on one with a netminder, more often than not, they came out on top.

Rakell in particular, seems to have a very good accurate shot no matter where on the ice he happens to be.

According to last season's stats, he had a shooting % of nearly 19%, while overall, hitting the net on all his shots nearly 68% of the time.

Pretty impressive, especially for a guy who spent most of his time on the 2nd line with Ryan Kesler as opposed to the top line with Getzlaf and Perry.

14 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'd like to nominate either Anaheim's Rickard Rakell or Nashville's Viktor Arvidsson.

Both those guys had career years and their production rivaled that of Laine.

But also, both Arvidsson and Rakell shoot with very good accuracy, particularly from the mid to close ranges.

Seems to me, whenever either of those two got a clean shot at the goalie or they got into a one on one with a netminder, more often than not, they came out on top.

Rakell in particular, seems to have a very good accurate shot no matter where on the ice he happens to be.

According to last season's stats, he had a shooting % of nearly 19%, while overall, hitting the net on all his shots nearly 68% of the time.

Pretty impressive, especially for a guy who spent most of his time on the 2nd line with Ryan Kesler as opposed to the top line with Getzlaf and Perry.

Laine's shot is still the best I've seen. Quickest release, hardest/fastest, deadly accurate.

Can't really disagree with any of the guys mentioned above except Ovechkin (he shoots way too much and at times when he shouldn't).  But, here is my thought.  The player with the most goals in the least amount of shots has the best/most accurate shot.  In other words, the highest shooting percentage.  It's the only way to quantify this.  That player is T.J. Oshie.  33 goals in 143 shots for a 23.1% shooting percentage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Laine's shot is still the best I've seen. Quickest release, hardest/fastest, deadly accurate.

It really is an honour to watch the kid play/shoot. The fun part is the Jets are slowly building an offensive juggernaut, and Laine is gonna be front and center. The speed and skill of the Jets offensive core is going to present very bad mismatches for opposing teams. The tighten up that defense and goaltending they are gonna be legit contenders for a decade or so. 

Did you like the Kulikov signing for the Jets?  I thought the whole thing was a waste. To long, to much money for a guy who stunk the joint out in Buffalo last year. His last few years on the Panthers were not exactly awe inspiring either. They did not need this guy.

Short term it might take playing time away from Josh Morrisey, who looked better and better as the year wore on. Long term, it may block the arrival of Logan Stanley, who was a BEAST in the Memorial Cup. I've always been critical of Logan, but I'm seeing some REAL progress and a potential NHL star at some point. I think the Jets really hit on this one. 

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

It really is an honour to watch the kid play/shoot. The fun part is the Jets are slowly building an offensive juggernaut, and Laine is gonna be front and center. The speed and skill of the Jets offensive core is going to present very bad mismatches for opposing teams. The tighten up that defense and goaltending they are gonna be legit contenders for a decade or so. 

Did you like the Kulikov signing for the Jets?  I thought the whole thing was a waste. To long, to much money for a guy who stunk the joint out in Buffalo last year. His last few years on the Panthers were not exactly awe inspiring either. They did not need this guy.

Short term it might take playing time away from Josh Morrisey, who looked better and better as the year wore on. Long term, it may block the arrival of Logan Stanley, who was a BEAST in the Memorial Cup. I've always been critical of Logan, but I'm seeing some REAL progress and a potential NHL star at some point. I think the Jets really hit on this one. 

Agreed on the potential Jets' offense.

Re: Kulikov, I'm inclined to agree on too much. Hopefully he can still play. I think the Jets had trouble in the trade market: at least two trades for D-men were scuddled by No Trade clauses, maybe more. They got what they could in the FA market.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Agreed on the potential Jets' offense.

Re: Kulikov, I'm inclined to agree on too much. Hopefully he can still play. I think the Jets had trouble in the trade market: at least two trades for D-men were scuddled by No Trade clauses, maybe more. They got what they could in the FA market.

The whole thing to me feels like a square peg in a round hole. Even with the departures of Brad Stuart who they let walk away (smart move btw) and depth defenseman Paul Postma heading to Boston as a UFA, they had respectable depth. 

1)Jacob Trouba

2)Dustin Byfuglien

3)Josh Morrissey

4)Tyler Myers

5)Toby Enstrom

6)Ben Chariot...

I don't see Kulikov better than ANY of the top 4 I listed, SO....the Jets are paying 4.3 mill annually for 3 years for a bottom pairing D-man???  That is a waste of cap space, especially when they have kids who could have filled that spot. I guess if you are STINKY in Buffalo, there is only one way to go, huh? 

Those are 5 SOLID d and I have always liked Chariot as a depth guy, heart and soul type who shows up for every game!

I know the Jets are high on this Poolman kid, who has a shot to make an impact this coming training camp. 

Logan Stanley is one year away, but WILL be an NHL dman, I think he grew and inch and is now 6'8...think he is done now...LOL!

Don't know much about Julian Melchiori, but he played a few games for the Jets last year and is big at 6'5. 

Some say Poolman might have made it this year, so the Jets effectively blocked him by signing Kulikov.....they will regret this deal, mark my words. 

Edited by jammer2

46 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The whole thing to me feels like a square peg in a round hole. Even with the departures of Brad Stuart who they let walk away (smart move btw) and depth defenseman Paul Postma heading to Boston as a UFA, they had respectable depth. 

1)Jacob Trouba

2)Dustin Byfuglien

3)Josh Morrissey

4)Tyler Myers

5)Toby Enstrom

6)Ben Chariot...

I don't see Kulikov better than ANY of the top 4 I listed, SO....the Jets are paying 4.3 mill annually for 3 years for a bottom pairing D-man???  That is a waste of cap space, especially when they have kids who could have filled that spot. I guess if you are STINKY in Buffalo, there is only one way to go, huh? 

Those are 5 SOLID d and I have always liked Chariot as a depth guy, heart and soul type who shows up for every game!

I know the Jets are high on this Poolman kid, who has a shot to make an impact this coming training camp. 

Logan Stanley is one year away, but WILL be an NHL dman, I think he grew and inch and is now 6'8...think he is done now...LOL!

Don't know much about Julian Melchiori, but he played a few games for the Jets last year and is big at 6'5. 

Some say Poolman might have made it this year, so the Jets effectively blocked him by signing Kulikov.....they will regret this deal, mark my words. 

Yeah, I've heard the same about Poolman. I think he's close, but likely needs a year in the AHL. Still, you make a good point.

I like Chairot too. He's got a canon actually, don't know if you know that.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I've heard the same about Poolman. I think he's close, but likely needs a year in the AHL. Still, you make a good point.

I like Chairot too. He's got a canon actually, don't know if you know that.

Yeah, I have seen Chariot unload the cannon. You are right though, most fans don't know, cause he does not shoot nearly enough. I'd like to see him get at least 3 or 4 a game, as long as he gets it on net or is not sacrificing a smarter play. 

If things go the way I think, Morrissey is on the cusp of stardom. He bloomed a tad late, but this guy shows flashes of being electric. What an awesome skating stride he owns!! Suburb vision and smarts also....like off the charts wicked. He is gonna be something once he gets fully accustomed to the league. 

14 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Can't really disagree with any of the guys mentioned above except Ovechkin (he shoots way too much and at times when he shouldn't).  But, here is my thought.  The player with the most goals in the least amount of shots has the best/most accurate shot.  In other words, the highest shooting percentage.  It's the only way to quantify this.  That player is T.J. Oshie.  33 goals in 143 shots for a 23.1% shooting percentage.

That shooting percentage is almost double his career number. In other words, last season was a fluke. That doesn't make him the best sniper in the league. 

Laine only has one season under his belt...but his shooting % is about 4 over Oshies career. At 18. On a much worse team than Oshie plays on.

Ovechkin does shoot way too much. His team would fair better if he wasn't such a goal suck.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That shooting percentage is almost double his career number. In other words, last season was a fluke. That doesn't make him the best sniper in the league. 

Laine only has one season under his belt...but his shooting % is about 4 over Oshies career. At 18. On a much worse team than Oshie plays on.

Ovechkin does shoot way too much. His team would fair better if he wasn't such a goal suck.

There is no doubt that Laine has an incredible shot. But I don't think you can compare their career numbers at this point. Too much difference in sample size.  :notfair:

10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Yeah, I have seen Chariot unload the cannon. You are right though, most fans don't know, cause he does not shoot nearly enough. I'd like to see him get at least 3 or 4 a game, as long as he gets it on net or is not sacrificing a smarter play. 

If things go the way I think, Morrissey is on the cusp of stardom. He bloomed a tad late, but this guy shows flashes of being electric. What an awesome skating stride he owns!! Suburb vision and smarts also....like off the charts wicked. He is gonna be something once he gets fully accustomed to the league. 

Yeah agreed on all this. Just back to Kulikov, one of things you have to factor in is he's LH. This has been a problem for the Jets, the whole Trouba not wanting to play on his back hand side thing. They clearly wanted to solve since the other guy they clearly tried to acquire - Emelin - is also LH.

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah agreed on all this. Just back to Kulikov, one of things you have to factor in is he's LH. This has been a problem for the Jets, the whole Trouba not wanting to play on his back hand side thing. They clearly wanted to solve since the other guy they clearly tried to acquire - Emelin - is also LH.

This makes sense, the RH/LH thing. It really does matter comfort wise for dmen. Thing is, Logan Stanley shoots left and has quite the rocket on him. He arrives in the fall of 2018 (fairly sure about that, one more year in the O and he's good IMHO). All round, Logan Stanley is quite close to Kulikov in terms of overall skill set. Who knows, I could see Enstrom moving on and Logan and Kulikov being on the team at the same time. 

Off topic, but these are big years for Armia and Nic Petan.....and to a lesser extent, Kyle Connor. I think Kyle is SO damn talented, they will not be able to hold him back, he's a permanent Jet probably after Christmas. 

20 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

There is no doubt that Laine has an incredible shot. But I don't think you can compare their career numbers at this point. Too much difference in sample size.  :notfair:

I agree. But using one year of Oshies that is double his usual % is every bit as unfair. If he's not doing that every year, he clearly isn't that guy.

Posted (edited)

Tarvares or benn is the best.

Edited by musky

Posted (edited)

Just taking a look at the all time list of NHL's best ever shooting percentage for career...some surprises, and some expected....Craig Simpson....would have NEVER guessed that. Charlie Simmer and Mike Bossy in the top 5, yeah, seen that coming...Yvon Lambert another big surprise but then "nifty Ricky" Middleton is not a surprise...I've always thought Blaine Stoughton was underrated, although maybe a product of the no defense era of the 80's....like seeing the magic man in there, Kent Nillson never gets talked about enough. If you EVER thought Illka Sinasalo would appear on this list ahead of Wayne Gretzky, props....LOL!

NHL Leaders

• Share & more
    • Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • Strip Mobile Formatting
    • Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
Rank Player Years SPCT

Hidden Content

1985-95 23.66

Hidden Content

1974-88 22.34

Hidden Content

1980-91 21.41

Hidden Content

1977-87 21.18

Hidden Content

1972-82 19.85

Hidden Content

1974-88 19.69

Hidden Content

1973-84 19.52

Hidden Content

1979-87 19.42

Hidden Content

1987-00 19.41

Hidden Content

1985-97 19.30

Hidden Content

1972-82 19.28

Hidden Content

1979-95 19.21

Hidden Content

1979-88 19.16

Hidden Content

1980-98 19.13

Hidden Content

1955-78 19.09

Hidden Content

1984-06 18.99

Hidden Content

1980-95 18.96

Hidden Content

1984-02 18.85

Hidden Content

1981-93 18.78

Hidden Content

1980-93 18.77

Hidden Content

1973-87 18.56

Hidden Content

1999-16 18.56

Hidden Content

1982-95 18.47

Hidden Content

1986-09 18.45

Hidden Content

1975-94 18.44

Hidden Content

1983-96 18.39

Hidden Content

1987-96 18.38

Hidden Content

1980-90 18.16

Hidden Content

1980-89 18.03

Hidden Content

1981-97 18.01

Hidden Content

1976-88 17.97

Hidden Content

1976-86 17.87

Hidden Content

1977-94 17.86

Hidden Content

1963-79 17.85

Hidden Content

1980-92 17.79

Hidden Content

1987-99 17.79

Hidden Content

1976-90 17.77

Hidden Content

1978-91 17.76

Hidden Content

1981-92 17.72

Hidden Content

1995-12 17.68

Hidden Content

1963-77 17.67

Hidden Content

1972-85 17.63

Hidden Content

1978-92 17.61

Hidden Content

1979-99 17.57

Hidden Content

1983-98 17.56

Hidden Content

1986-96 17.55

Hidden Content

1977-85 17.48

Hidden Content

1960-81 17.45

Hidden Content

1979-94 17.44

Hidden Content

1986-07 17.40

Hidden Content

1998-11 17.32

Hidden Content

1983-93 17.30

Hidden Content

1974-88 17.26

Hidden Content

1980-90 17.17

Hidden Content

1968-77 17.17

Hidden Content

1983-89 17.14

Hidden Content

2008-17 17.11

Hidden Content

1990-02 17.08

Hidden Content

1982-95 16.99

Hidden Content

1979-92 16.95

Hidden Content

1985-99 16.95

Hidden Content

1987-00 16.89

Hidden Content

1986-06 16.86

Hidden Content

1992-01 16.83

Hidden Content

1972-83 16.83

Hidden Content

1978-89 16.82

Hidden Content

1978-90 16.76

Hidden Content

1979-94 16.72

Hidden Content

1970-87 16.63

Hidden Content

1979-87 16.54

Hidden Content

1981-93 16.53

Hidden Content

1969-85 16.45

Hidden Content

1969-83 16.45

Hidden Content

1979-04 16.45

Hidden Content

1973-84 16.43

Hidden Content

1980-99 16.41

Hidden Content

1981-92 16.37

Hidden Content

1980-88 16.34

Hidden Content

1987-07 16.33

Hidden Content

1996-12 16.32

Hidden Content

1979-86 16.32

Hidden Content

1971-85 16.27

Hidden Content

1981-89 16.21

Hidden Content

1978-87 16.17

Hidden Content

1989-04 16.16

Hidden Content

1964-78 16.15

Hidden Content

1978-87 16.11

Hidden Content

1981-95 16.11

Hidden Content

1992-07 16.09

Hidden Content

1984-95 16.07

Hidden Content

1975-85 16.04

Hidden Content

1980-96 16.02

Hidden Content

1980-92 15.97

Hidden Content

1975-89 15.97

Hidden Content

1989-06 15.95

Hidden Content

1979-85 15.92

Hidden Content

1980-86 15.92

Hidden Content

1973-81 15.91

Hidden Content

1971-91 15.90

Hidden Content

1982-02 15.90

Hidden Content

1982-95 15.89

Hidden Content

1983-03 15.88

Hidden Content

1964-83 15.87

Hidden Content

1999-15 15.87

Hidden Content

1979-89 15.86

Hidden Content

1980-99 15.79

Hidden Content

1975-88 15.77

Hidden Content

1981-96 15.76

Hidden Content

1982-92 15.76

Hidden Content

1975-85 15.74

Hidden Content

1980-95 15.73

Hidden Content

1984-02 15.70

Hidden Content

1979-94 15.69

Hidden Content

1981-92 15.67

Hidden Content

1978-92 15.67

Hidden Content

1990-07 15.66

Hidden Content

1990-06 15.66

Hidden Content

1983-96 15.64

Hidden Content

1988-09 15.64

Hidden Content

1971-85 15.61

Hidden Content

1973-82 15.56

Hidden Content

1990-07 15.55

Hidden Content

1961-79 15.53

Hidden Content

1993-06 15.49

Hidden Content

1973-85 15.48

Hidden Content

1977-87 15.47

Hidden Content

1987-96 15.44

Hidden Content

2009-17 15.43

Hidden Content

1956-74 15.40

Hidden Content

1993-06 15.40

Hidden Content

1974-85 15.35

Hidden Content

1970-81 15.35

Hidden Content

1978-93 15.35

Hidden Content

1978-91 15.30

Hidden Content

1970-81 15.27

Hidden Content

1984-01 15.26

Hidden Content

1973-85 15.25

Hidden Content

1991-10 15.24

Hidden Content

1975-85 15.23

Hidden Content

1994-03 15.22

Hidden Content

1983-97 15.22

Hidden Content

1986-06 15.20

Hidden Content

1985-98 15.19

Hidden Content

1971-82 15.18

Hidden Content

1996-07 15.18

Hidden Content

1980-98 15.17

Hidden Content

1975-84 15.16

Hidden Content

1977-89 15.15

Hidden Content

1983-94 15.11

Hidden Content

1988-11 15.10

Hidden Content

2009-17 15.08

Hidden Content

1982-92 15.07

Hidden Content

1992-14 15.07

Hidden Content

1973-84 15.06

Hidden Content

1974-84 15.06

Hidden Content

1980-97 15.05

Hidden Content

1983-06 15.04

Hidden Content

1992-08 15.00

Hidden Content

1983-97 14.99

Hidden Content

1981-96 14.98

Hidden Content

1987-02 14.98

Hidden Content

2003-17 14.98

Hidden Content

1987-03 14.95

Hidden Content

1963-78 14.91

Hidden Content

1988-99 14.86

Hidden Content

1991-02 14.86

Hidden Content

1965-82 14.86

Hidden Content

1978-87 14.84

Hidden Content

1974-88 14.83

Hidden Content

1980-93 14.78

Hidden Content

1984-02 14.78

Hidden Content

1981-91 14.76

Hidden Content

1974-81 14.73

Hidden Content

1979-93 14.72

Hidden Content

1993-08 14.72

Hidden Content

2005-17 14.71

Hidden Content

1994-11 14.71

Hidden Content

1981-99 14.70

Hidden Content

1985-02 14.70

Hidden Content

1983-94 14.69

Hidden Content

1991-02 14.67

Hidden Content

1978-88 14.64

Hidden Content

1959-73 14.63

Hidden Content

1981-04 14.62

Hidden Content

1969-83 14.62

Hidden Content

1986-00 14.61

Hidden Content

2006-15 14.61

Hidden Content

1979-90 14.59

Hidden Content

1984-99 14.59

Hidden Content

2007-17 14.58

Hidden Content

1978-89 14.58

Hidden Content

2007-17 14.55

Hidden Content

1979-93 14.54

Hidden Content

1973-89 14.52

Hidden Content

1983-94 14.51

Hidden Content

2001-15 14.50

Hidden Content

1975-89 14.49

Hidden Content

1972-87 14.48

Hidden Content

2003-14 14.48

Hidden Content

1979-90 14.46

Hidden Content

1999-17 14.42

Hidden Content

1984-99 14.37

Hidden Content

1984-98 14.37

Hidden Content

1979-97 14.34

Hidden Content

1977-84 14.34

Hidden Content

1970-85 14.34

Hidden Content

1979-93 14.29

Hidden Content

1979-88 14.29

Hidden Content

2005-17 14.27

Hidden Content

1999-11 14.27

Hidden Content

1969-80 14.27

Hidden Content

1985-04 14.26

Hidden Content

1990-07 14.25

Hidden Content

1974-87 14.23

Hidden Content

1976-87 14.20

Hidden Content

2006-17 14.19

Hidden Content

1974-88 14.17

Hidden Content

1975-82 14.12

Hidden Content

1997-15 14.12

Hidden Content

1957-76 14.12

Hidden Content

1987-02 14.11

Hidden Content

1978-85 14.11

Hidden Content

1986-96 14.11

Hidden Content

1990-03 14.10

Hidden Content

1985-00 14.10

Hidden Content

1992-10 14.09

Hidden Content

1978-88 14.08

Hidden Content

1971-85 14.07

Hidden Content

1993-10 14.07

Hidden Content

1979-90 14.07

Hidden Content

1999-13 14.07

Hidden Content

1994-06 14.06

Hidden Content

1998-13 14.06

Hidden Content

1995-10 14.06

Hidden Content

1977-89 14.06

Hidden Content

2001-13 14.05

Hidden Content

1968-82 14.05

Hidden Content

1982-06 14.05

Hidden Content

1990-09 14.05

Hidden Content

1990-07 14.05

Hidden Content

1963-81 14.04

Hidden Content

1965-81 14.03

Hidden Content

1967-78 14.00

Hidden Content

1963-81 13.99

Hidden Content

2001-16 13.99

Hidden Content

1977-92 13.99

Hidden Content

1977-83 13.97

Hidden Content

1982-00 13.97

Hidden Content

1980-93 13.97

Hidden Content

1987-03 13.97

Edited by jammer2

On 7/9/2017 at 5:12 AM, flyercanuck said:

I agree. But using one year of Oshies that is double his usual % is every bit as unfair. If he's not doing that every year, he clearly isn't that guy.

It's one year against one year, head to head!?!  How is that not fair???

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

It's one year against one year, head to head!?!  How is that not fair???

Because when you look at his shooting %, last year is way off the mark from every other year. Way off. In other words, a fluke.

14/18/12/19/7/21/19/26/33...do those really look like the numbers of the leagues best sniper? Ovechkin for example has more goals in his last 4 seasons than Oshie has in 9.  Every team is trying to stop him, and Backstrom. That leaves Oshie lots of time and space.

The guy wasn't even a top ten goal scorer last season...even with a shooting percentage double his usual mark. If we're going strictly on %, Samuel Henley scored on 100% of his shots last season. That's also his career shooting percentage. Amazing...innit?  :IDunnoSmiley:

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Because when you look at his shooting %, last year is way off the mark from every other year. Way off. In other words, a fluke.

14/18/12/19/7/21/19/26/33...do those really look like the numbers of the leagues best sniper? Ovechkin for example has more goals in his last 4 seasons than Oshie has in 9.  Every team is trying to stop him, and Backstrom. That leaves Oshie lots of time and space.

I can't argue with any of that. Actually, I'm having a hard time arguing for Oshie to begin with.  

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If we're going strictly on %, Samuel Henley scored on 100% of his shots last season. That's also his career shooting percentage. Amazing...innit?  

Oshie scored 33 times the number of goals that Henley scored.  Who would you rather have on your team? Sam Hanley or TJ Oshie?

My argument is that the player that scored the most goals on the least amount of shots is the best shooter.  I think I even spelled that out in my first post in this thread. Would you expect Craig Simpson to be the all-time shooting percentage leader?  

53 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I can't argue with any of that. Actually, I'm having a hard time arguing for Oshie to begin with.  

Oshie scored 33 times the number of goals that Henley scored.  Who would you rather have on your team? Sam Hanley or TJ Oshie?

My argument is that the player that scored the most goals on the least amount of shots is the best shooter.  I think I even spelled that out in my first post in this thread. Would you expect Craig Simpson to be the all-time shooting percentage leader?  

I agree shooting percentage should factor in. (So should linemates and the team you play on). I threw in Henley because Oshies last season was an outlier...as was Henleys single game.

I'd prefer to call the best shooter in the league the guy who does it consistently. I just don't think Oshie is that guy.

My choice for the best shot would be Shea Weber hands down. I am partial to big beastly defensemen and his slapper would put the fear of god into anyone. There is nobody in the game whose shot I enjoy more than his.

among forwards I like guys who are a bit different, Larkin for the Wings was dreadful last year but he has made a habit of scoring from almost impossible angles almost behind the goal line even. He needs to shoot more as he is very accurate but that will come with time.

The number one forward as far as I am concerned shooting wise is Marchand in Boston. Love him or hate him the man is a risk taker and shoots accurately from anywhere. He has a hard accurate shot and can fire with power and accuracy while on the move even which is a rare talent.

• Like 1

Well, everyone has their own opinion on who and how to measure who the best shooter is.  And I'm not sure any of them are wrong (or right for that matter).

• Like 2