The Quebec Nordiques Should Get Back Their Hockey Team

arshakandriasov

When the NHL decided to move the Quebec Nordiques to Denver, one of the best rivalries in history of any sport ceased to exist. Whoever remembers the Quebec Nordiques playing against the Montreal Canadiens will immediately say that their battles were on par with the best of them. In other sports, like baseball for instance, an obvious bitter rivalry one would think of is the New York Yankees versus the Boston Red Sox. But, once the puck was dropped (sometimes even before the puck dropped on some instances), I cannot think of any more bloodier battles than the Nords and the Habs.

Being that these two teams were located on the same province really brought their emotional bitterness to a high level. The Montreal Canadiens were an established team, a history that is only rivaled by the Yankees. The Quebec Nordiques were an up and coming bunch of players that wanted to eat away at the proverbial pie. They drafted well and just needed some great goaltending to win. The Habs usually had incredible players partly due to their history. So much blood was spilled during these heated battles.

The Quebec Nordiques have incredible fans. They bring signs to other stadiums hoping to get back their wonderful team. I love the bravado with which they show their support. To this day, I cannot imagine how shortsighted the NHL higher-ups were by discontinuing a talented team that would eventually win a Stanley Cup as the Colorado Avalanche the next year Quebec relocated.

Understandably, timing was everything. Nobody knew that the Montreal Canadiens and their franchise goalie Patrick Roy would part ways. If Quebec existed, there was no way in hell that the Habs would trade a future Hall of Famer to their divisional foes. Because Colorado was representing the Western Conference, Montreal (an Eastern Conference team) traded Roy away for basically pine nuts as it turned out. Colorado won the Stanley Cup in their first year as a franchise. How unfair…

I don’t mind having the Avalanche around. Denver deserves an NHL team with their great tradition in College hockey. But, there are definitely several teams I can think of who could relinquish their team and nobody would mind.

Hopefully, I will get to see a correct judgement done by a commissioner that botched up the move to Arizona. He must have learned his lesson with the Winnipeg Jets, right?

@arshakandriasov

Hello and :welcome:

This Topic will get tweeted automatically via this site so I removed the embedded link. 

I think it is just a matter of time before Quebec again has a team.  2-3 years would be my guess.  Bettman accepted both bids, but Vegas will need to get established before they undergo another expansion draft.  I think it is also possible a team may relocate there but again it will take a couple of years.

There are a couple of other discussions around the site on this topic too and I'll link them after I search for them.

7 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Is probable to have the Avs relocate back to Quebec in a few years? Then an expansion team in Denver to replace them! 

Unfortunately this will cause another imbalance! 

I don't think this will happen.

Sure, Colorado is terrible now, but overall, I think Denver is a great hockey market.

Even now, with the team struggling the way it is, they get decent attendance, the fans are loud for the home team, and they still get a good number of national games.

If the team can ever figure out how to be a powerhouse once again, it will just further solidify them as a permanent NHL market.

If the NHL is thinking relocation to fill a spot in Quebec, then I think there are other teams that would be moved well before the Avs are.

The usual suspects, for various reasons....The Coyotes with their arena issues, the Panthers with their attendance issues (yea, this was the same team that drew just over 4K fans for a game against the Senators, remember?), or the Islanders with their arena and mismanagement issues.

Even the Vegas Knights, after all the hoopla has died down, may be a candidate for relocation sooner than later if the team has prolonged struggles and the transient fans find other things to do.

I always hate to see a market lose a pro team, but those mentioned could very well be moved to satiate Quebec's desire for a team.

Avalanche are staying put though, IMO.

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't think this will happen.

Sure, Colorado is terrible now, but overall, I think Denver is a great hockey market.

Even now, with the team struggling the way it is, they get decent attendance, the fans are loud for the home team, and they still get a good number of national games.

If the team can ever figure out how to be a powerhouse once again, it will just further solidify them as a permanent NHL market.

If the NHL is thinking relocation to fill a spot in Quebec, then I think there are other teams that would be moved well before the Avs are.

The usual suspects, for various reasons....The Coyotes with their arena issues, the Panthers with their attendance issues (yea, this was the same team that drew just over 4K fans for a game against the Senators, remember?), or the Islanders with their arena and mismanagement issues.

Even the Vegas Knights, after all the hoopla has died down, may be a candidate for relocation sooner than later if the team has prolonged struggles and the transient fans find other things to do.

I always hate to see a market lose a pro team, but those mentioned could very well be moved to satiate Quebec's desire for a team.

Avalanche are staying put though, IMO.

It was a thought! 

I'm  hoping that Vegas and Arizona stay put! I think Barroway  (Totes owner) is actually trying to put a competitive team on the ice! In 2017 draft he did draft a goalkeeper but did select 5 demean 2 center and 2 wingers! I forget if they drafted a netminder in last year's draft. I  will give them 5 years! Let's hope that they solve the Arena issues soon! 

I believe that Quebec City will be the next expansion city if no one relocates there first!

Of course there's also Seattle pushing for a team, which is one state I'm really surprised doesn't have a team already. They've been waiting for some time, so I wouldn't be surprised that when expansion (or relocation) is an issue again it would be a battle between Quebec and Seattle. It'll be interesting to see where this goes to be honest, as both cities have a good case for a team.

2 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

Of course there's also Seattle pushing for a team, which is one state I'm really surprised doesn't have a team already. They've been waiting for some time, so I wouldn't be surprised that when expansion (or relocation) is an issue again it would be a battle between Quebec and Seattle. It'll be interesting to see where this goes to be honest, as both cities have a good case for a team.

I believe the problem in Seattle is a stadium. The one the Supersonics played in, needs renovating and the City is waiting for a N.B.A. team to worry about that!

On 7/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, hf101 said:

@arshakandriasov

Hello and :welcome:

This Topic will get tweeted automatically via this site so I removed the embedded link. 

I think it is just a matter of time before Quebec again has a team.  2-3 years would be my guess.  Bettman accepted both bids, but Vegas will need to get established before they undergo another expansion draft.  I think it is also possible a team may relocate there but again it will take a couple of years.

There are a couple of other discussions around the site on this topic too and I'll link them after I search for them.

Put an expansion team in Quebec makes a 17-15 imbalance. Who would move West to balance the league? (If no one relocates!)

Archived