Canes sign Slavin to 7yr deal

The Carolina Hurricanes have signed defenceman Jacob Slavin to a seven-year, $37.1 million contract extension.

Full story: Here

I don't know much about this guy but it seems like he's going to be quite good to have a contract like that. He is only 23yrs old too so he'll still be in his prime for his next big contract.

36 minutes ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

The Carolina Hurricanes have signed defenceman Jacob Slavin to a seven-year, $37.1 million contract extension.

Full story: Here

I don't know much about this guy but it seems like he's going to be quite good to have a contract like that. He is only 23yrs old too so he'll still be in his prime for his next big contract.

I've watched Slavin play a bit, as I tune in on occasion to Canes games.

From what I've seen, he is looking like he will project to a steady defensive defenseman, but with a pinch of offense, and he seems to play pretty intelligently for a player his young age....that should only get better with experience.

Is a defensive defenseman who scores a bit worth 5.3M per? I don't know. Off the top of my head, I would say that type of D-man should probably be in the 4M or so range max, but perhaps Carolina feels this guy can do (and will be capable of more) enough to justify the 5+M.

The Hurricanes got a 4th round gem here.  Considering he is only 23, scored 29 shorthanded points last year and was the 2nd best defenseman in the league last season in takeaways, all with a Plus (+/-) of 20 on a team that did not make the playoffs is likely worth this contract.  To me, it sounds as if the Canes have invested wisely in their new #1-2 defenseman 

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

The Hurricanes got a 4th round gem here.  Considering he is only 23, scored 29 shorthanded points last year and was the 2nd best defenseman in the league last season in takeaways, all with a Plus (+/-) of 20 on a team that did not make the playoffs is likely worth this contract.  To me, it sounds as if the Canes have invested wisely in their new #1-2 defenseman 

Yup. Maybe they want to build their defense around him. They really want to commit to him. I'm sure he'll be on the 1st line in no time.

9 hours ago, hf101 said:

scored 29 shorthanded points last year

Huh where did you get that??

He scored 4 shorthanded points last year 1 goal 3 assist.

He had 26 even strength points and 4 points on the PP (all assists).

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Huh where did you get that??

He scored 4 shorthanded points last year 1 goal 3 assist.

He had 26 even strength points and 4 points on the PP (all assists).

Yeah my bad, you are correct.  Must have been from a fake news site, or before I had my morning coffee.   :scratcheshead:

Archived