Preds 20th season logo!

4 minutes ago, FriendlyGuitarist said:

The logo looks pretty cool. I can't believe I was 11yrs old when the Preds first played in the NHL.

What do you all think of this logo? I'm assuming it's their logo for center ice.

I like that a lot.

It will have to grow on me. Right now it reminds me of the Wise potato chip logo with an Owl's eye. 

BTW, not to take a personal shot at anyone here. But I know many fans of more traditional teams still view the Predators as an expansion team. But think about this, did you view the Flyers as an expansion team in 1997? They were 30 years old at that time. We're a mere 10 years away from the Predators hitting 30, and it will be here in the blink of an eye!

LOL....I'd have to agree the anniversary logo reminds of the chip logo...have a look...haha.

Wise.jpg

Don't feel bad though, HB...it took me awhile to get used to the new Lightning logo when it was unveiled. Reminded me of the flippin Gaterade logo at first....but yes, it has grown on me....though I still can't completely get on board with the Maple Leaf colors...

tampa-bay-lightning-logo.jpg gatorade.gif

As for "expansion status", I am not sure if there is an official criteria, but IMO, a team ceases to be an expansion team when one of two things happen (or both):

1--The team has been around for at least 10 years.

2--The team has become competitive, I.E., has at least made the playoffs, I dunno, let's say twice within those 10 years, and at least vying for a playoff spot at other times.

So, by my criteria, a team can stop being an expansion team by Year 5 for instance, if they made the playoffs in their 2nd and 4th years for example and were in the mix for a spot (though not qualifying) other times.

Also, a team stops being an expansion team by Year 11....even though they may not have qualified for a playoff spot at ANY time during the previous 10 years.

To me, 10 seasons is the magic number....now if the team STILL hasn't made the playoffs at least once by then, then they just may be a slow developing and/or a poorly run organization, but no longer, an expansion team.

I mean really...10 seasons should be long enough to draft, develop, and ice established players on the ice and basically put yourself on the NHL map.

So Nashville certainly is NOT an expansion team given they've made the playoffs many times already (including West Champs last year) and the fact they've been around for 20 seasons now.

As for how the "traditional hockey market fan" views them, I wouldn't worry.

Most forward thinking fans just view the NHL as just that...the highest level pro hockey league in the world, regardless of where a team may be located.

Some though, particularly the northern, long established franchise fan, may ALWAYS view a non traditional hockey market as perhaps expansion or at the very least, not quite in the same league as their franchise.

That seems silly to me, as a fan of a Southern based (and successful!) franchise in the Lightning...but also, one who supports a bonafide hockey market in St. Paul, Minnesota.

But to each their own, and I wouldn't worry how others view the Preds if I were you.

Best way a team like the Preds can keep sticking it to the unrelenting 'traditionalist' who believes hockey shouldn't be below the US's Mason Dixon Line is to keep being successful. ;)

Congrats to Nashville on 20 years of hockey....the most recent ones being the best they've ever been.

3 hours ago, Honest Bender said:

It will have to grow on me. Right now it reminds me of the Wise potato chip logo with an Owl's eye. 

BTW, not to take a personal shot at anyone here. But I know many fans of more traditional teams still view the Predators as an expansion team. But think about this, did you view the Flyers as an expansion team in 1997? They were 30 years old at that time. We're a mere 10 years away from the Predators hitting 30, and it will be here in the blink of an eye!

HAHA very funny i hadn't noticed till you said something...but yeah...you're right...so now not as cool...

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Congrats to Nashville on 20 years of hockey....the most recent ones being the best they've ever been.

I'll always carry a chip on my shoulder after dealing with the sale of the Preds to Jim Balsillie and the amount of "traditional" market trolls that we dealt with throughout that process!

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Don't feel bad though, HB...it took me awhile to get used to the new Lightning logo when it was unveiled. Reminded me of the flippin Gaterade logo at first....but yes, it has grown on me....though I still can't completely get on board with the Maple Leaf colors...

Dang, I never noticed how much the Lightning logo looks like the Gatorade logo.  But I definitely saw the Wise Owl.  

My theory for the 20th-anniversary logo was.....   "To keep your Eye on the Prize"

Looking at it more closely.  The left-hand side of the predator's logo looks to be the same shape as the eyebrow with the canine tooth.

44 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Dang, I never noticed how much the Lightning logo looks like the Gatorade logo.  But I definitely saw the Wise Owl.  

My theory for the 20th-anniversary logo was.....   "To keep your Eye on the Prize"

Looking at it more closely.  The left-hand side of the predator's logo looks to be the same shape as the eyebrow with the canine tooth.

Tellin ya, Jefe...all creativity in the NHL seems to have gone the way of the goon...almost non existent. Heh.

Crazy thing is, if you Google or Bing NHL logo concepts and/or team sweaters, there are some REAL nice creative minds out there.

Why aren't teams hiring those guys or gals?

I never thought the Lightning looked like Gatorade, I mean there's only so much you can do with a bolt of lightning anyway but the Gatorade is only two tiers and it's thicker. I still see the original Lightning logo, just streamlined a bit. Obviously the original uniform and logo are better, they should have never ditched the black. But if the Leafs never existed, the Bolts uniform now would really be top notch.

Archived