Roenick has some words for Giroux

hf101

"If I was sitting in front of Claude Giroux right here today, I would say, 'You need to make amends and you need to have a bounce-back season and show everybody why you have been one of the better players over the last five years and last year was just a bad-luck situation. This team is going to run on Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds and Jake Voracek.

"If Claude is watching right now, I love you to death, put it back together, show everybody why you're one of the best competitors in the game and get back up into that top-scoring aspect. And don't worry about slumps and don't worry about what people think of you, just be Claude Giroux. And if he does that, this team is going to prosper."

-Jermey Roenick

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/jeremy-roenick-claude-giroux-he-lets-everything-get-his-mind

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hf101 said:

"If I was sitting in front of Claude Giroux right here today, I would say, 'You need to make amends and you need to have a bounce-back season and show everybody why you have been one of the better players over the last five years and last year was just a bad-luck situation. This team is going to run on Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds and Jake Voracek.

"If Claude is watching right now, I love you to death, put it back together, show everybody why you're one of the best competitors in the game and get back up into that top-scoring aspect. And don't worry about slumps and don't worry about what people think of you, just be Claude Giroux. And if he does that, this team is going to prosper."

-Jermey Roenick

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/jeremy-roenick-claude-giroux-he-lets-everything-get-his-mind

I usually stop reading at "Jeremy Roenick" but that there is some good advice.

Yes stop worrying about the outside world you're always going to have critic till you walk away from the game and they still are going to bitch about how you walk away...

...it's no different than all the critics bitching about Hexy taking Frost at #27....you think Ron gives a F**K he has a job to do and he is listening to his corner and going by his plan??

Because at the end of the day he is going to do it his way regardless who likes it or approves it. Clod take notes!

Clod needs to stop listening to others besides his coaches/gm and teammates.

STAY THE F**K OFF SOCIAL MEDIA FOR ONE!

HANDLE YOUR BUSINESS!!!

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

Time to ask g for a list of teams he would go to ....

get something while you can ..

I get it, but I think probably won't happen just yet.

I still think some kind of package involving Giroux and Tavares would be worth considering.  I think unlikely given their intradivision, but...

Putting that aside, I would assume we're looking for player(s) and pick(s) or prospect(s) back, right?   I think there are people on here that would have an aneurysm if it were just for picks--even a first overall.

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

Time to ask g for a list of teams he would go to ....

get something while you can ..

yeah, **** that guy. he's just the team's best player.

you think a 1st, and a prospect gets it done ?

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And a Big Bang Theory Blueray set.  Sure, why not?

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I get it, but I think probably won't happen just yet.

I still think some kind of package involving Giroux and Tavares would be worth considering.  I think unlikely given their intradivision, but...

Putting that aside, I would assume we're looking for player(s) and pick(s) or prospect(s) back, right?   I think there are people on here that would have an aneurysm if it were just for picks--even a first overall.

Islanders would never trade Tavares for Giroux, especially if Giroux doesn't return to a 70 point player. They also wouldn't trade him to a team in the same division. 

Tavares is also overrated 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

B21 is right too...I usually stop at Jeremy Roenick.

You are wise beyond your years...which is saying alot because apparently you are pretty old. :cheers:

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I agree with your entire post, but this line is dead on.

I think he's a great player, but the media and lots of fans like to label him a "generational talent" (ie: like Crosby and McDavid), and it comes from him getting exceptional status to play in the OHL earlier and being hyped as a #1 draft pick. He's never lived up to his supposed potential though.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I agree with your entire post, but this line is dead on.

Over rated he is but he has score 30+ goals at least 3 times (top 38 one season ago).

Wonder what his best season would look like with Jagr on his wing?

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Over rated he is but he has score 30+ goals at least 3 times (top 38 one season ago).

Wonder what his best season would look like with Jagr on his wing?

I have two problems with him and both might be affected by the overhype/generational talent thing. 

1) he rarely plays a full season. I don't mean physically. He just doesn't show up until the second half of the season. If he played out of the gate like he does in the second half, the islanders would be a bit better. 

2) So far, he doesn't really seem to make his line mates better. I was hard on Okposo for not being better with Tavares, but it's possible that Okposo wasn't the problem. Similar with Anders Lee. 

Because of #2, I think you actually have a decent idea regarding Jagr. At least Jagr of a couple years ago (and possibly still). Someone who can create space and make Tavares better rather than putting the onus on Tavares to make the line better. 

Tavares is a good player. I think he's better than Giroux. But he's not a "generational talent." 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I have two problems with him and both might be affected by the overhype/generational talent thing. 

1) he rarely plays a full season. I don't mean physically. He just doesn't show up until the second half of the season. If he played out of the gate like he does in the second half, the islanders would be a bit better. 

2) So far, he doesn't really seem to make his line mates better. I was hard on Okposo for not being better with Tavares, but it's possible that Okposo wasn't the problem. Similar with Anders Lee. 

Because of #2, I think you actually have a decent idea regarding Jagr. At least Jagr of a couple years ago (and possibly still). Someone who can create space and make Tavares better rather than putting the onus on Tavares to make the line better. 

Tavares is a good player. I think he's better than Giroux. But he's not a "generational talent." 

Tavares skating is not good enough for him to be "generational" And that term gets thrown around way too much...some people like to call the top pick every year generational. Tavares is a franchise type player. He's just not close to generational.

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Maybe if we give up OUR 1st and a prospect to get someone to take him!

Claude just doesn't seem to have the time he used to have on the ice.  Looks like he's lost a step or two too many (injuries and mileage) and the league has gotten quicker.  His linemates don't draw much attention away from him.  I hope he's working on his skating (i.e.m explosiveness) and getting quicker this offseason.  If he can improve those areas, he will see an uptick in performance.  But at 29 years old and almost 10 full years in the league, it will be interesting to see if he can do that.

if what outsiders say bothers him, that's a bit troubling.

Coming into the season in shape and healthy will be a huge boost for him. He and Ghost should not have played so soon after offseason surgery i think. But that is water under the bridge. 

Giroux will need all the people on board rowing in unison......those who ain't rowing need to be jettisoned overboard...

...this voyage has no room for passengers!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Coming into the season in shape and healthy will be a huge boost for him.

Not enough.  Has to improve quickness and speed.  Being healthy will help, but he has to work at improving on where he has been in the past.  Even two years ago, after the wrist injury, he looked to have lost some quickness.

Giroux will need all the people on board rowing in unison......those who ain't rowing need to be jettisoned overboard...

...this voyage has no room for passengers!!!

Not just Giroux.  The whole team needs to be in unison - including Giroux.  Too many times he looked uncommitted, particularly on the defensive end.  Lots of "upright" skating through the neutral zone on a backcheck.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:13 AM, RJ8812 said:

Or maybe he just isn't that good anymore?

Let's hope that isn't the case

We shall see, but I don't think last year had anything to do with Giroux being too old or over the hill or unable to come back.

I think he wasn't recovered from his surgery and then he got hurt in the Worlds and tried to play through it.  Probably not doing any additional damage, just slowing his return to his full self.

Other players who went through that surgery talk about it taking over a year to feel like themselves again.  Claude got rocked less than 3 months after his surgery and took a week off.

Aside from that, The team was SOOOOO bad defensively that Hakstol gave up scoring goals (they were 2nd best in the league in the early going) completely in order to prevent the deluge of goals they were giving up.  It only kind of worked.  They still gave up more goals than they scored, but at least it was closer.  They just stopped scoring outright.

If Hakstol can get a more balanced set of Defensive pairing to play that position better and control the puck in their own zone more and shut down attacks efficiently, then maybe the team can get back to scoring like they did at the beginning of the season (and got close to doing at the end of the season as well).  

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it changes, but this team didn't have the offensive problems the numbers suggest.  They had defensive problems that Hakstol hid by bringing all his forwards back into their own zone every shift.  

Compound to that the fact that Giroux (by his own admission) couldn't move the way he was used to moving for 3/4 of the season and you've got a recipe for a really really bad season.

Hopefully he feels better and the Defense covers their own butts a bit more and ALL the forwards, Giroux included can break out a bit more. 

The eyeball test alone really seemed to suggest that Claude was feeling better by the end of last season.  He was moving so much more freely and juking and jiving and skating so much more freely than the majority of the year.  Enough that I have plenty of reason to think he won't be nearly as unproductive. 

6 minutes ago, vis said:

Not enough.  Has to improve quickness and speed.  Being healthy will help, but he has to work at improving on where he has been in the past.  Even two years ago, after the wrist injury, he looked to have lost some quickness.

Not just Giroux.  The whole team needs to be in unison - including Giroux.  Too many times he looked uncommitted, particularly on the defensive end.  Lots of "upright" skating through the neutral zone on a backcheck.

I think the upright skating you're talking about is directly related to the injury and what Claude himself described as just not being able to do things like he normally did.  Things were healed, but that doesn't mean recovered.  Recovery can take longer.  Especially with abdominal stuff.  

It wasn't that he wasn't trying or wasn't committed, it's that he'd go to do what he always did and it just wasn't there.  To my eyes and by his own admission it looked to be coming back by year's end.  

Maybe he should have sat for the duration, but he wasn't hurt and not playing wasn't going to make him recover faster.  The body can be funny.

Let's hope that's what's going on on, at least with him.  The Defense and Hakstol are the big question marks for me far more than Giroux.  

Archived