Flyers and Oct, the first 11 games

jammer2

What a wickedly hard schedule to open the season. We will find out everything we need to know about the Flyers playoff chances in the opening month, 

First up, a TOUGH road trip to open the year. A huge 4 game road trip...

1)@ San Jose

2)@ LA

3)@ANA

4)@NSH

The one positive factor is that West swing can be taxing on teams, so getting it when you are fresh at the start of the year is an advantage. But some tough match up's in there....

Next up, the new seasons first homestand....4 games and only one kinda easy one, FLA....

5)WASH

6)FLA

7)NSH

8)ANA

The Stanley Cup finalists twice in the first few weeks, and ANA twice also....wow. 

2 game road trip to the Province of Ontario

9)@OTT

10)@TOR

Those two are tough....AND it's the only game we play in TOR this year, on Sat night on Hockey Night in Canada. We play TOR 3 times, the last 2 are home games for Philly. 

1 game left in Oct, finally a kinda sorta easy game 

11)ARZ

Quite the baptism by fire for our 4 or maybe even 5 rookies!! 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/team/schedule/_/name/phi/philadelphia-flyers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

First up, a TOUGH road trip to open the year. A huge 4 game road trip...

1)@ San Jose

2)@ LA

3)@ANA

4)@NSH

Yeah can't much harder than that to start the year off.

The only positive i have is there have been a lot of change on both sides of the puck so no telling how it is going to go.

Guessing going .500 out of that would be a ok to start. 

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Guessing going .500 out of that would be a ok to start. 

I was thinking the same thing, squeezing out a .500 record in Oct would be fine with me!!   There might be some growing pains in that first month, an influx of kids, the need for the roster to mesh with a lot of new d pairings and lines. If we do finish a few games under .500 for Oct, it may not be a primary indicator of just where the Flyers might finish. 

One thing for sure, if we kick butt and win 7-9 of those games, watch out!!

Just now, jammer2 said:

I was thinking the same thing, squeezing out a .500 record in Oct would be fine with me!!   There might be some growing pains in that first month, an influx of kids, the need for the roster to mesh with a lot of new d pairings and lines. If we do finish a few games under .500 for Oct, it may not be a primary indicator of just where the Flyers might finish. 

One thing for sure, if we kick butt and win 7-9 of those games, watch out!!

One thing the Flyers must do besides improve their overall 5 on 5 play is win more games on the road.

Mason struggled to do this i hope Elliot can help improve in this area.

It will really help if he can beat the Devils something Mason surely couldn't do.

Jeez I looked at that schedule and my head went back and my face looked like I just bit into a Lime on steroids. Damn that is a rough schedule to start the year.

Indeed trial by fire we shall see what this teams got.

0-11 in October.  Season over.  Who are next year's top picks?

Truthfully, that is very rough.  And I do have a hard time seeing a game that's winnable on paper.  I don't think they will hit the panic button if they get off to a bad start, nor should they.  However, that depends on how they actually play in those games and how they react to what will likely be an ugly W/L record coming out of October.

8 minutes ago, vis said:

Truthfully, that is very rough.  And I do have a hard time seeing a game that's winnable on paper.  I don't think they will hit the panic button if they get off to a bad start, nor should they.  However, that depends on how they actually play in those games and how they react to what will likely be an ugly W/L record coming out of October.

So as i claimed i'm the optimist. So your turn to claim the pessimistic one. Don't feel bad you're not alone here.

And please don't say you just being objective.

We all know the @fanaticV3.0 is the only one capable of doing that.

17 minutes ago, vis said:

Considering how many times they go 0 or 1 for October, it's actually not a bad prediction.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So as i claimed i'm the optimist. So your turn to claim the pessimistic one. Don't feel bad you're not alone here.

And please don't say you just being objective.

We all know the @fanaticV3.0 is the only one capable of doing that.

Your sarcasm detector broken?

Seriously, though, do you see them coming out of October above .500?

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I'm guessing something like 3-6-2.

Probably more like it.  I can see them catching SJ or another team slipping in their home opener.  I could see them winning vs. Pittsburgh as well because they seem to play them tough most games.  

3 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Considering how many times they go 0 or 1 for October, it's actually not a bad prediction.

It was mainly a joke (I really don't see them going 0-11), but I think that's a very hard schedule.  But not something they can't overcome over the course of the rest of the season.  

I certainly don't see them going over .500 over that stretch.  I like @brelic's thinking above.

Just now, vis said:

Your sarcasm detector broken?

No i wasn't just referring to one post. I'm referring to many. Show me one where you boast or post something about a Flyer that is positive.

I don't claim to have read everyone one of your post but from what i have it is just mostly what negative stuff and what bad could happen.

No reason to apologize. I lean in the other direction mostly. Nothing wrong with either. And no matter what we'll get flack for either as well. I get call a kool aid drinker no biggie. Both have good points at times.

9 minutes ago, vis said:

It was mainly a joke (I really don't see them going 0-11), but I think that's a very hard schedule.  But not something they can't overcome over the course of the rest of the season.  

I certainly don't see them going over .500 over that stretch.  I like @brelic's thinking above.

I know, so was my reply. Mostly.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No i wasn't just referring to one post. I'm referring to many. Show me one where you boast or post something about a Flyer that is positive.

I don't claim to have read everyone one of your post but from what i have it is just mostly what negative stuff and what bad could happen.

No reason to apologize. I lean in the other direction mostly. Nothing wrong with either. And no matter what we'll get flack for either as well. I get call a kool aid drinker no biggie. Both have good points at times.

Better do it @vis. Otherwise, you risk your fan card being taken away.

WINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWIN

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Show me one where you boast or post something about a Flyer that is positive.

You really want to go down that road?

I mean, in the Couturier thread alone, I said multiple times that he's a good third line center (I'm sure you will find something negative about that, though).  Was certainly happy with his improved play toward the end of the season.

I've even defended, to a degree, Hakstol's use of goalies and even the benching of Konecny and Ghost.  And the usage of MacDonald, which damn near nobody does.

Certainly have commented that I am looking forward to the youth taking over.  And have praised Hextall's drafting.

Oh, and I just said I don't think the early October schedule is something they can't overcome the rest of the season.

To name a few...

But, sure, paint me as only a pessimist and negative poster since:

- I think Couturier should be a 3C instead of a 2C

- I think Giroux needs to be much better for this team to rise

- I think Eliott and Neuvirth aren't an upgrade

- I think they will have growing pains defensively with two more young guys on the blueline

- I think the kick the can approach is getting a little wearying

- I think Hakstol still has a lot to learn

- I think this is still a bubble playoff team, at best.

Not sure any of that is unreasonable.

Edited to add:

- Any thoughts on the question above about whether they come out of October above .500?  

- Any thoughts on my questions about Giroux in the other thread?

Or are you just going to call me a pessimist?

2 minutes ago, vis said:

You really want to go down that road?

I mean, in the Couturier thread alone, I said multiple times that he's a good third line center (I'm sure you will find something negative about that, though).  Was certainly happy with his improved play toward the end of the season.

I've even defended, to a degree, Hakstol's use of goalies and even the benching of Konecny and Ghost.  And the usage of MacDonald, which damn near nobody does.

Certainly have commented that I am looking forward to the youth taking over.  And have praised Hextall's drafting.

To name a few...

But, sure, paint me as only a pessimist and negative poster since:

- I think Couturier should be a 3C instead of a 2C

- I think Giroux needs to be much better for this team to rise

- I think Eliott and Neuvirth aren't an upgrade

- I think they will have growing pains defensively with two more young guys on the blueline

- I think the kick the can approach is getting a little wearying

- I think Hakstol still has a lot to learn

- I think this is still a bubble playoff team, at best.

Not sure any of that is unreasonable (at least not to a pessimist).

Ok.

On 7/18/2017 at 2:51 PM, vis said:

Agreed. Assuming the 2 rooks are Morin (I think he's ready, just needs a solid camp) and Sanhiem(a PLUS skater in his own right) this team will get from point A to point B much quicker....imagine the passing lanes that Morin can cut off with that outstanding reach?....yet another plus.  Another area that will also improve is the defensive zone break out, Sans will really help there. The break out was just plain putrid at times last year. There will most certainly be a learning curve with 1/3rd of the defense being so green. At least when stuff does eventually click in, the team speed is improved. It's all about the skating these days, be great at it, or be left in the dust. 

For myself, the real thrill will be Myers inevitable call up. My gut says no matter how he does in camp, he will see action with the Phantoms to start out. I do believe he will force the Flyers hand and maybe even bypass Hagg for the first injury call up. His skating is elite, to say the least. He should be top 10% of dmen skaters in the NHL.. He has gears and vision that are scary. 

Prediction....the Flyers starting goalie will be neither Elliott or Neuvy in April. I think one of the kids gets an injury call up, outright steals the job and does not look back. 

Just thinking about having Provs, Ghost, Myers, Sans and Morin on the same team makes me wanna pee my pants and not even change after. ....ha ha. 

59 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Agreed. Assuming the 2 rooks are Morin (I think he's ready, just needs a solid camp) and Sanhiem(a PLUS skater in his own right) this team will get from point A to point B much quicker....imagine the passing lanes that Morin can cut off with that outstanding reach?....yet another plus.  Another area that will also improve is the defensive zone break out, Sans will really help there. The break out was just plain putrid at times last year. There will most certainly be a learning curve with 1/3rd of the defense being so green. At least when stuff does eventually click in, the team speed is improved. It's all about the skating these days, be great at it, or be left in the dust. 

For myself, the real thrill will be Myers inevitable call up. My gut says no matter how he does in camp, he will see action with the Phantoms to start out. I do believe he will force the Flyers hand and maybe even bypass Hagg for the first injury call up. His skating is elite, to say the least. He should be top 10% of dmen skaters in the NHL.. He has gears and vision that are scary. 

Prediction....the Flyers starting goalie will be neither Elliott or Neuvy in April. I think one of the kids gets an injury call up, outright steals the job and does not look back. 

Just thinking about having Provs, Ghost, Myers, Sans and Morin on the same team makes me wanna pee my pants and not even change after. ....ha ha. 

Well from what i have read (like i said not my words) Sanheim still needed to work on somethings from a defensive standpoint just clean up somethings before he is seen in the NHL.

So maybe by mid season he will have done that.

However there is still the chance he has studied/watched film or utilized one of the many ways to get better during the offseason to impress the coaching staff/GM and convince them he is ready.

Guess we'll see come camp/preseason.

I think for now Morin and Hagg ate ready.

Unlesd they take a step back this preseason.

On 2017-07-22 at 8:57 AM, jammer2 said:

Solid prediction. I'm fairly confident both Elliott and Neuvy will turn out to be complete duds. It won't be hard for one of the youngins to take the reins and run.

22 hours ago, elmatus said:

Solid prediction. I'm fairly confident both Elliott and Neuvy will turn out to be complete duds. It won't be hard for one of the youngins to take the reins and run.

For as long as I can remember, Elliott has been super streaky. If he starts out badly, fans will call for his head forever....lol. Plus, as I pointed out to start the thread, the first month has some REAL tough stretches. To start out, there is 4 games on the road, the dreaded West Coast trip. That's difficult anytime, but this specific road trip will have 2 rookie dmen playing their very first NHL games..LOL! It's gonna be super tough for Elliott to have a .500 record after Oct, but if he does not, the fans will turn quickly and viciously. 

What would be wonderful and win the hearts of Flyer fans forever is for Ells to go on one of his hot streaks to start the year, like 3 straight shut outs to start things out.  Fans would worship the ground he walks on...for a few minutes anyways. . I've seen this guy roll out multiple shut outs many, many times...just as many times as I've seen him get totally bombed for many games in a row. 

8 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

For as long as I can remember, Elliott has been super streaky. If he starts out badly, fans will call for his head forever....lol. Plus, as I pointed out to start the thread, the first month has some REAL tough stretches. To start out, there is 4 games on the road, the dreaded West Coast trip. That's difficult anytime, but this specific road trip will have 2 rookie dmen playing their very first NHL games..LOL! It's gonna be super tough for Elliott to have a .500 record after Oct, but if he does not, the fans will turn quickly and viciously. 

What would be wonderful and win the hearts of Flyer fans forever is for Ells to go on one of his hot streaks to start the year, like 3 straight shut outs to start things out.  Fans would worship the ground he walks on...for a few minutes anyways. . I've seen this guy roll out multiple shut outs many, many times...just as many times as I've seen him get totally bombed for many games in a row. 

I do hope Elliott proves me wrong. Somehow, I have a feeling he will struggle this year. He's getting older for one, and unless the kids come in and blow us all away, there's a very good chance the Flyers defense this year is going to be all shades of green. Elliott has some good years, but those years were playing for teams with an experienced and solid defensive corps and -- particularly during his best years in STL -- a defensively minded systems coach. The current Flyers are a very different beast.

To be fair, I think most goalies would struggle with the Flyers defense as it's likely to be in 2017-18. It's not just Elliott.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, vis said:

I think Washington is overrated and will struggle next year.

I don't think LA will be a very strong team either...Will NSH have a hangover from the playoff run ? maybe early in the season.

I have no idea what to think about San Jose , I know the Ducks are still big and tough..

I think the Leaf and Senators will be tough outs, Toronto has a lot of skill in their top 9. The Senators have Karlsson and that's almost enough to beat a good Pens team.

I think the Flyers surprise and play that schedule to .500, I won't flip out though if they're 2-9 and playing competitive hockey but not getting results. 

The flip out will come if they appear listless, slow and stupid, then, fire and trade all the things.

Archived