Flyers and Oct, the first 11 games

jammer2

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The flip out will come if they appear listless, slow and stupid, then, fire and trade all the things.

I think your assessment is bang on, and I have nothing of value to add at all. I just wanted to quote this part.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-07-22 at 10:01 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Well from what i have read (like i said not my words) Sanheim still needed to work on somethings from a defensive standpoint just clean up somethings before he is seen in the NHL.

So maybe by mid season he will have done that.

However there is still the chance he has studied/watched film or utilized one of the many ways to get better during the offseason to impress the coaching staff/GM and convince them he is ready.

Guess we'll see come camp/preseason.

I think for now Morin and Hagg ate ready.

Unlesd they take a step back this preseason.

I find Hagg to be an interesting case. Some years ago, he was considered a very good find, then suddenly he wasn't performing at all and became questionable at best for a couple years, now since last season he's returned to being favoured. I honestly haven't watched him enough to have a great deal to say about him. I just find the chatter surrounding him to be interesting given all the flipping and the flopping over the years.

54 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I find Hagg to be an interesting case. Some years ago, he was considered a very good find, then suddenly he wasn't performing at all and became questionable at best for a couple years, now since last season he's returned to being favoured. I honestly haven't watched him enough to have a great deal to say about him. I just find the chatter surrounding him to be interesting given all the flipping and the flopping over the years.

I think the only thing wrong with Hagg is lack of flash and dash. He plays a composed, steady, cerebral game that can often be mistaken for lack of effort or at least plodding. The kids he is competing with for a roster spot, all have something on him. Sanheim is a better skater and better offensively and Morin is bigger and meaner. Myers is also a vastly superior skater. The kid would be ranked higher in a different teams prospect pool. One thing for sure, he better bring his A game to training camp. I'm sure he will get a look this year, even if he is sent down to start out. It would be shocking to see him make the team right out of camp though. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I think this paragraph is exhibit A for letting young players develop out of the spotlight. 

Hagg is 6'2". He skates well, he's smart, he has a good shot and better than average first pass. 

He projected to be the quintessential "steady Swede" TM Podien25 good teams seem to have in their top 4.  

I think there were questions about his "motor' or "compete level" when he first came over to North America. He played cautiously for a long time and because he's pretty smart and things appear to come effortlessly to him; he got the "lacks compete level/bad motor" rap which may have not been accurate. My take on Hagg is he's reaching his potential and having the time and space to do that in Lehigh Valley is the reason his name is among the top D-prospects.  Young guys need time, not everyone is ready for the NHL at 18/19 and only the generational guys step in and play well at that age. 

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

No two prospects develop at the same time and rate some take time and coming over from Europe learning the difference in size rinks along with a different system takes time.

He has been on some not so talented teams in the AHL.

Has been through coaching changes.

And last year was his 1st year with an actual coach to coach up the Dmen. And he has had many many different partners on the blueline for the Phantoms.

He has all the tools tough and physical and skates well and brig some size 6-2 and i heard up to 212 pounds now.

All he needs is a chance and someone to coach him up and let him go through his growing pains like Ivan did.

Then we'll see.

Boy, it is tough. But I think this will be a "Three-Season," pre-Thanksgiving, Turkey Day to All Star, post-All-Star.  I have little hope up front, then the line-juggling will damp down....and maybe (hopefully), we see a really positive glimpse of a new era.  

I think Hagg's compete level was a concern even before he got to the AHL.  I recall some quotes from his coach in Sweden or maybe Terry Murray to the effect that he had NHL-caliber skill, but questioning whether he would develop NHL-level compete/desire.  In any event, he's at a point where he should make the team if for no other reason than to see if he truly can be an NHL player.

On 7/17/2017 at 5:19 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah can't much harder than that to start the year off.

The only positive i have is there have been a lot of change on both sides of the puck so no telling how it is going to go.

Guessing going .500 out of that would be a ok to start. 

In light of the schedule, if they have a poor start, I'm not going to get all upset or down on them just yet.  That's a lot of tough established teams to go up against for a young team just coming together.  

I already have a LOT of dates circled on the ol' calendar....

Dates the Flyer picks come to town....LOTS of scouting to do this year!!

1)Morgan Frost (3 visits)...Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds...plays in Windsor on...Oct 05th-17, Feb 24th-18 and Mar 08th-18F

2)Isaac Ratcliffe (2 visits)...Guelph Storm...Sept 24th-17 and Feb 08th-18

3)Matthew Strome (1 visit)....Hamilton Bulldogs...Nov 02nd-17

4)Makism Sushko (2 visits) ....Owen Sound Attack...Nov16th-17 and Mar 15th-18

5)Anthony Salinitri (3 visits) ..Sarnia Sting....Oct 15th-17, Jan 11th-18 and Feb 01-18

6)Connor Bunnaman (1 visit)  Kitchener Rangers...Sept 26th-2017...

It's WAY early, but anyone with any questions or wants me to watch a particular skill etc, all you gotta do is ask!1

Yeesh....can't remember the last time the Flyers had EDIT...*6*  drafted players in the "O".....gonna be fun!!

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I already have a LOT of dates circled on the ol' calendar....

Dates the Flyer picks come to town....LOTS of scouting to do this year!!

1)Morgan Frost (3 visits)...Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds...plays in Windsor on...Oct 05th-17, Feb 24th-18 and Mar 08th-18F

2)Isaac Ratcliffe (2 visits)...Guelph Storm...Sept 24th-17 and Feb 08th-18

3)M

Don't forget to scout Bunnaman (Rangers) his last year in juniors too.

Anthony Salinitri with Sarnia as well....we're counting on you man!

And while you're at it check Strome out with Hamilton and Sushko with Owen Sound.

Man you're gonna be busy!!!!

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't forget to scout Bunnaman (Rangers) his last year in juniors too.

Anthony Salinitri with Sarnia as well....we're counting on you man!

And while you're at it check Strome out with Hamilton and Sushko with Owen Sound.

Man you're gonna be busy!!!!

Some times I hit submit before I'm done the post, so if I lose stuff, I can back-track....but I did forget about Bunnaman, which is crazy cause he's one of my absolute favs. 

It seems that the message given to the Flyers during the exit interviews was to return in September prepared for a fast start to the 2017 season. Gostisbehere mentions it in his interview with NHL tonight.

I don't understand why some think the defense is going to be in a lot of trouble with two rookies on it. Fact is, Hagg is going on his 4th pro season and Morin is going to be starting his 3rd. They got considerable time in the AHL to play and hone their skills, so it's not like they're coming out of junior. These are youngsters that are prepared to make the jump. Honestly, I don't foresee any difficulties and if there are, it will be easily correctable. These are guys who have great hockey IQ, physical ability and smarts. If anything, because nobody is expecting these guys to do anything, they have zero pressure on them and their performance will not suffer as a result. 

On 8/12/2017 at 2:38 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't understand why some think the defense is going to be in a lot of trouble with two rookies on it. Fact is, Hagg is going on his 4th pro season and Morin is going to be starting his 3rd. They got considerable time in the AHL to play and hone their skills, so it's not like they're coming out of junior. These are youngsters that are prepared to make the jump. Honestly, I don't foresee any difficulties and if there are, it will be easily correctable. These are guys who have great hockey IQ, physical ability and smarts. If anything, because nobody is expecting these guys to do anything, they have zero pressure on them and their performance will not suffer as a result. 

Theyre gonna get burned at first,but that's how you learn. 

But it does happen, let's remember, everyone gets burned.  From Provo to Burns, you see it happen all the time. It's. It an easy job. Doesn't mean they suck. 

I'd rather have three rookies and a Provo and Ghost on the team that might improve than vets like Mac and Manning who won't.  

And i defend those two and consider them realistically serviceable in this league.  But I'm done with serviceable.  The future is nOw. 

On 7/28/2017 at 11:06 PM, Howie58 said:

Boy, it is tough. But I think this will be a "Three-Season," pre-Thanksgiving, Turkey Day to All Star, post-All-Star.  I have little hope up front, then the line-juggling will damp down....and maybe (hopefully), we see a really positive glimpse of a new era.  

God if Hakstol doesn't stop juggling the Fwds, I'm gonna get really frustrated.  You know their skill sets.  Give them time to figure each their out Hax-hole!

sorry, too far?

K-squared:

My gut says he will have to damp down the juggling to show he's learned from two years of NHL experience. That said, the infusion of new talent means a lot of reality testing.  If Giroux is down.....even more.

Howie

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 5:19 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah can't much harder than that to start the year off.

The only positive i have is there have been a lot of change on both sides of the puck so no telling how it is going to go.

Guessing going .500 out of that would be a ok to start. 

A single point out of the Ducks game tonight and yeah, your .500 prediction will come true. A very respectable start, considering the taxing schedule, no matter what happens tomorrow. Plus, we got that wicked West Coast swing out of the way. 

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

A single point out of the Ducks game tonight and yeah, your .500 prediction will come true. A very respectable start, considering the taxing schedule, no matter what happens tomorrow. Plus, we got that wicked West Coast swing out of the way. 

A brutal stretch coming up too...

At Ottawa, at Toronto (who just handed LA it's first regulation loss this year) home for the Yotes (who always are trouble) at Chicago at St. Louis (where former Flyers is waiting to score a hat trick on Elliot)....

I was way off on the start.  Was totally expecting a slow start given the schedule, rookies being mixed in and new goaltending.  Very pleasantly surprised.  Things would have been really ugly had they had the start I was thinking they would.

There are very few pushovers in the NHL anymore. Even the expansion Knights ice a decent amount of talent.

The Flyers are a pretty good team, I've been kind of surprised by Weal...that kid has some "it" to his game. When he's been out of the lineup the team isn't as dynamic... I hope he can hold up (healthwise) over the course of the season, he's a nice player.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

There are very few pushovers in the NHL anymore. Even the expansion Knights ice a decent amount of talent.

The Flyers are a pretty good team, I've been kind of surprised by Weal...that kid has some "it" to his game. When he's been out of the lineup the team isn't as dynamic... I hope he can hold up (healthwise) over the course of the season, he's a nice player.

Good observation. Love his compete level. It rubs off. 

A coach the other day, might have been Maurice, was commenting on how the young guys bring the energy of the whole club up. It's a critical component in the new NHL.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Weal is the happy ending to the whole bad Schenn (JVR STILL scoring tons of goals in TO...worth WAY more than Luke) and Vinny era, who was a **** show from day one in Philly. Who did the Flyers select with the 3rd they got back in this deal?...looks like an easy win for the Flyers at this point. Decent stuff back for a salary dump made necessary by poor management. 

12 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Weal is the happy ending to the whole bad Schenn (JVR STILL scoring tons of goals in TO...worth WAY more than Luke) and Vinny era, who was a **** show from day one in Philly. Who did the Flyers select with the 3rd they got back in this deal?...looks like an easy win for the Flyers at this point. Decent stuff back for a salary dump made necessary by poor management. 

Carsen Twarynski.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Carsen Twarynski.

hmmm, odds are long that he makes it, tons of forward prospects ahead of him....BUT still, a respectable prospect, think he played on the USA World Jr's team.....nothing to sneeze at. 

Archived