Would you make Justin Williams Captain?

hf101

Would you make Justin Williams the next Hurricanes Captain?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make Justin Williams the next Hurricanes Captain?

Justin Williams return to the Hurricanes is the good for a number of reasons not only for himself to stay on the East Coast, but also for the Hurricanes as he brings his skills, Stanley Cup history, and leadership to a team that is on the up and coming with young talent.  However, this team has played without a captain since Eric Staal was moved at the trade deadline in February of 2015.

At 35, Williams has a 2-year contract, meaning that his role as a possible captain wouldn't be long term.    He has only worn  the "A" on occasion and never the "C" but he will definitely be a part of the leadership group for next year regardless of a letter on his sweater.

If you were Ron Francis would you choose for Justin Williams to be the next captain of the Hurricanes?

I used to believe that ownership or the head coach should nominate or name a captain....but the more I realized that leadership on a team isn't defined by the letter on the jersey, the more I began to think that the guy who wears the 'C' should be the guy that the players themselves, in the locker room, nominate as the guy who should represent them as the liason to the officials and the fans as "Captain".

Seriously. That's it.

Let the players decide who that is.

If they feel Williams, though he is just returning and not there long term, is the guy, then fine.

But the Canes' players may have someone else whom they've already acknowledged as de facto leader in the locker room.

Maybe it's Jordan Staal who has been with the team for at least 4 or 5 seasons already.

Maybe at 25, it's defenseman Justin Faulk, or perhaps Jeff Skinner, also just 25, but he has been a Cane since he was a teenager and can be now considered a "young veteran".

Up and down the lineup, the Hurricanes surely are a young group and Justin Williams does fit the role of "greybeard" on this squad.

If the players want to defer to his NHL and playoff experience that wouldn't be a bad thing.

The bottom line is, I think the players should decide.

But at the end of the day, true leadership will come from more places than just the guys wearing the letters.

17 hours ago, hf101 said:

Justin Williams return to the Hurricanes is the good for a number of reasons not only for himself to stay on the East Coast, but also for the Hurricanes as he brings his skills, Stanley Cup history, and leadership to a team that is on the up and coming with young talent.  However, this team has played without a captain since Eric Staal was moved at the trade deadline in February of 2015.

At 35, Williams has a 2-year contract, meaning that his role as a possible captain wouldn't be long term.    He has only worn  the "A" on occasion and never the "C" but he will definitely be a part of the leadership group for next year regardless of a letter on his sweater.

If you were Ron Francis would you choose for Justin Williams to be the next captain of the Hurricanes?

Excellent question.

I say yes.

There are only 3 on the squad with Cup Ward, Kruger and him.

So since i'm not crazy about making a goalie a Captain i say Justin wins in a landslide.

I'm not sure if it makes sense(if management has the say).  He's gonna be 36 when the seasons starts and you have him signed for two years, which may be the end of his career.    Most of the Carolina fans probably don't even remember him from his first stint there as its been almost 10 year past.   He's a great leader, but to put the C on someone just coming in, and probably won't be there long just doesn't make sense to me.  

They put an investment into Staal through 2023, build your base around some whose going to be there for a while.  

If the players choose and THEY pick him, then fine, that's their choice. 

On 7/18/2017 at 6:02 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Excellent question.

I say yes.

There are only 3 on the squad with Cup Ward, Kruger and him.

So since i'm not crazy about making a goalie a Captain i say Justin wins in a landslide.

I  not sure if a goalkeeper is allowed to be a captain! I believe that it's in the rule book or bylaws or something on that line!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

I  not sure if a goalkeeper is allowed to be a captain! I believe that it's in the rule book or bylaws or something on that line!

They can be Captain but they can't wear the C and can't do many of the on ice functions.

I believe Vancouver did this with Luongo at some point. Or was it Florida?

• 5 months later...

Justi n Williams has turned into one of the all time clutch players in NHL history. Right up there at the top in Stanley Cup Playoff OT goals. Who would not want somebody like that to be their captain?  A less vicious, less physical version of another all time great playoff performer, Claude Lemieux. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 12:00 AM, hf101 said:

I voted no. I can't begin to understand any reason to substantiate making him captain. I don't dislike him but I don't understand it. 

The only possible reason that makes sense is:  if not him, who? 

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I voted no. I can't begin to understand any reason to substantiate making him captain. I don't dislike him but I don't understand it. 

The only possible reason that makes sense is:  if not him, who? 

Maybe previous captain Staal?

I like the move. He's got history with the team, respect of his teammates, backing of the coach, and is obviously known to the fanbase.

Probably should have gotten it last year.

Only real question is how long he'll be captain, being in the last year of his deal and all...

Just now, radoran said:

Only real question is how long he'll be captain, being in the last year of his deal and all..

It isn't as if no other team has had a captain for a year before...     :flyers:

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Maybe previous captain Staal?

I like the move. He's got history with the team, respect of his teammates, backing of the coach, and is obviously known to the fanbase.

Probably should have gotten it last year.

Only real question is how long he'll be captain, being in the last year of his deal and all...

Yeah, Staal. I was kind of assuming he'd been ruled out if we were talking about Williams. Staal is the obvious to me except for the duration of his contract

Archived