Bubble boy has more "injury" issues.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

He could have shingles 

Highly unlikely as shingles generally affects older adults.  There have been cases with younger patients, but it is much rarer.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Highly unlikely as shingles generally affects older adults.  There have been cases with younger patients, but it is much rarer.

Danny Syvret had it a few years ago during the season 

3 hours ago, B21 said:

So now there are THREE injury categories in the NHL....

Upper Body

Lower Body

Facial Infection

Good to know.

blackhawks cap syndrome... aka "Flesh eating autoimmune equipment allergy. "

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Danny Syvret had it a few years ago during the season 

yup I remember..like I said, it can happen in younger adults, its just not very prevalent.... most cases are in the older adults  ....

rate-of-shingles-graph.jpg

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

yup I remember..like I said, it can happen in younger adults, its just not very prevalent.... most cases are in the older adults  ....

rate-of-shingles-graph.jpg

I drew the short straw. Chicken pox when I was 8 and a weaker bout when i was 17.  And shingles at 34.  Good times! 

But that's 34 and this kid is 18. It's more likely chicken pox than shingles and I don't think it's that. 

If it's for quarantine purposes, gotta figure viral rather than bacterial, right? 

Impetigo is a pretty good guess and plausible,  but I'm going with HFMD because of its viral nature. 

What do you think? 

8 hours ago, King Knut said:

the MRSA aspect is a bit scary.  It's cropping up more and more.  This was a LONG time ago now, but I remember when they were afraid Michael Renberg might actually lose his hand when a scratch became infected with Locker room bacteria (presumably in his glove or on his skate laces). 

terrifying.   Of course that may just have been the Maple Leafs crack training and med staff though ;)

We've had MRSA in our house. The meds were expensive as hell. Everyone has been symptom free for a couple years now, but we were kind of panicked when first diagnosed. 

I just thought I'd post the obvious and that it is off-season and Patrick has not missed a game.

We are talking off-season practice here -- off-season practice.  :blink[1]:

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I drew the short straw. Chicken pox when I was 8 and a weaker bout when i was 17.  And shingles at 34.  Good times! 

But that's 34 and this kid is 18. It's more likely chicken pox than shingles and I don't think it's that. 

If it's for quarantine purposes, gotta figure viral rather than bacterial, right? 

Impetigo is a pretty good guess and plausible,  but I'm going with HFMD because of its viral nature. 

What do you think? 

HFMD (Hand foot mouth disease) is a good guess too, but that is only really prevalent in  children age 5 or younger.  However, as with shingles, there are always exceptions to the rule.  My poor son had the most severe form of HFMD I have ever seen this past December when he was 8.  Poor kid...start out with a a single rash and within 48 hours his whole body was nothing but one big red mess of a rash.  His poor face ballooned out and everything.  He spike a 104 fever and I decided, time to take him to ER for a definitive diagnosis.  Spoke with the Pediatric Hospitalist, whom I knew because of paging her during the course of my job at the hospital) and after about a good 35 minute exam, came to a 85% certainly that it was the worst case of HFMD she has ever seen.  And yes you are correct, it is a viral infection.  In the case of my son, not only was his face affected, but he had it all over his hands / arms / and very severe on his back and chest.  Unlike Patrick, which I think mentions it is only a facial infection.  There is no mention that it is affecting his back / arms / torso.

Given the limited about of information, if I had to make an educated case, I would say a good possibility he has is Impetigo (caused by bacteria...Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus.with some more recent reported cases caused by Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA). 

If his condition is of a viral nature, then I would R/O (rule out) Impetigo and go with the suggestion made earlier of potential Shingles (since that is cause by the Herpes Zoster virus). Though it would be uncommon at age 18.  Sorry, Rux, I feel bad what you endured in your lifetime.  Another reason I am potentially ruling out Shingles, is because Shingles also affects other parts of the body besides the face.  The torso is a highly common area for Shingles to develop.

The least likelihood of my guesses would be HFMD.  Simply given the nature that this condition generally afflicts children under age 6 and there is no mention that this condition is affecting any other part of his body other than his face.

Given the limited amount of info, my guess would be a severe form of Impetigo.

10 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Another reason I am potentially ruling out Shingles, is because Shingles also affects other parts of the body besides the face

Yeah, that was my hesitation with guessing shingles, too. Mine was torso and did not spread. Oddly, I've known two people recently who were only face who were shocked to hear mine wasn't (I was equally shocked the other way). 

I like impetigo if it's MRSA involved. Thankfully, the MRSA here was never face, but impetigo wasn't involved either. 

I think it's as good a guess as any and MRSA gives it the viral ingredient. 

Life:  yeah. Not at the same time, thank God, but one kid with MRSA and the other with WPW. 

Ain't parenting grand? 

10 hours ago, pilldoc said:

HFMD (Hand foot mouth disease) is a good guess too, but that is only really prevalent in  children age 5 or younger.  However, as with shingles, there are always exceptions to the rule.  My poor son had the most severe form of HFMD I have ever seen this past December when he was 8.  Poor kid...start out with a a single rash and within 48 hours his whole body was nothing but one big red mess of a rash.  His poor face ballooned out and everything.  He spike a 104 fever and I decided, time to take him to ER for a definitive diagnosis.  Spoke with the Pediatric Hospitalist, whom I knew because of paging her during the course of my job at the hospital) and after about a good 35 minute exam, came to a 85% certainly that it was the worst case of HFMD she has ever seen.  And yes you are correct, it is a viral infection.  In the case of my son, not only was his face affected, but he had it all over his hands / arms / and very severe on his back and chest.  Unlike Patrick, which I think mentions it is only a facial infection.  There is no mention that it is affecting his back / arms / torso.

Given the limited about of information, if I had to make an educated case, I would say a good possibility he has is Impetigo (caused by bacteria...Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus.with some more recent reported cases caused by Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA). 

If his condition is of a viral nature, then I would R/O (rule out) Impetigo and go with the suggestion made earlier of potential Shingles (since that is cause by the Herpes Zoster virus). Though it would be uncommon at age 18.  Sorry, Rux, I feel bad what you endured in your lifetime.  Another reason I am potentially ruling out Shingles, is because Shingles also affects other parts of the body besides the face.  The torso is a highly common area for Shingles to develop.

The least likelihood of my guesses would be HFMD.  Simply given the nature that this condition generally afflicts children under age 6 and there is no mention that this condition is affecting any other part of his body other than his face.

Given the limited amount of info, my guess would be a severe form of Impetigo.

As a retired surgeon I ALWAYS relied on Pharmacists. Thank you PD.

33 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

As a retired surgeon I ALWAYS relied on Pharmacists. Thank you PD.

Always glad to have another forum member who worked in the medical field on here,   What was your specialty?  I currently work in the OR at the hospital here in Lancaster.  We opened up the OR Pharmacy Satellite about 11 years ago.  I have been the primary point person there ever since.  I really enjoy my job as I have numerous opportunities to observe a variety of cases.  Besides working real close with the Anesthesia Dept I have worked closely with numerous surgeons helping plan their preference cards for numerous IV solutions / irrigations they use for their particular cases.

On 7/21/2017 at 8:54 PM, pilldoc said:

well ....and now we know....case closed.  It was fun speculating though.  Glad it was not too serious.

Yes this particular episode is over but meanwhiLe he's acquired the "bubble boy" nickname. 

He needs a woman and all facial infection will go away. So I guess Flyers have to move for Richie and Lupul, bring them back so they can show him how to treat such invention and where he can stick his face at Temple parties. Flyers will awesome team with this crew !!!!

Archived