Sign Jagr

King Knut

The Flyers have cap room.  

The Flyers need help on the 2nd PP Unit.

Sign Jagr.

Play him with Filppula and Patrick, but drop him every other shift and put Lindblom, Konecny or Raffl up in his place.  

Waive Lehtera, Read or Weise to make room.  

He'll be a good influence on the kid.  Everyone likes him.  He's still got miles left in the tank.  

Sure the old fart only put up 46 points last year, but he played in every game and played  17 minutes a night. 

What he we didn't play him every night?

What if we only played him 12 minutes a night?  What if we gave him the entire month of March off completely.

The Flyers can do that this year because they literally have too many damn forwards.

This is of course the exact reason that makes signing him crazy, but not resigning him 5 years ago was an unmitigated disaster for this team and unlike younger players like Iginla and Doan, for whatever reason, Jagr can still play.  

Hell, sign him then say he's got a rash like Hossa and LTIR him until January or even the trade deadline.  

The fact is that there are too many forwards on this team that are servicable and good and just won't be bringing anything to get to the next level.

There are also rookies who are green and young and can't really be trusted to ride on a 2nd like all season.

What's a better solution than a Vet who has the ability to change the game, if not every minute of every night, then definitely for a few shifts here and there?

Bring him in and manage his minutes.  Use what he's got left to help this damn team dig itself out of the Homer induced Quagmire now so that when the rookies and picks and prospects are taking their rightful place in the top 9, the team has a culture of positivity and winning.

Yeah, I know it'll never happen... but has anyone got a good reason why it shouldn't?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, I know it'll never happen... but has anyone got a good reason why it shouldn't?

Then you're kicking Konecny to his off wing again?

You're going to have a cap overage hit next year when kids hit their bonuses?

That's all I've got.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Fine but when the 2nd unit sucks again, don't complain to me about it. 

There just isn't any room for him now. They should have never let him walk and then turn around and signed Vinny....

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There just isn't any room for him now. They should have never let him walk and then turn around and signed Vinny....

Don't get me started on that era of Homer.  5 years later and I still want to kick him in the stones.    

Repeatedly. 

But I think it's worth making room now.  In a year, Filppula and Read will be gone.  In Two years, Raffl will be gone.  Weise will apparently be here til the end of time, but maybe Hextall's got another miracle move to unload him.  There isn't room now, but the guys taking up room will not be here long term anyway.  

I think it's worth trying to make happen... especially for a guy who probably shouldnt' play more than 12-13 minutes a night now anyway.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Don't get me started on that era of Homer.  5 years later and I still want to kick him in the stones.    

Repeatedly. 

But I think it's worth making room now.  In a year, Filppula and Read will be gone.  In Two years, Raffl will be gone.  Weise will apparently be here til the end of time, but maybe Hextall's got another miracle move to unload him.  There isn't room now, but the guys taking up room will not be here long term anyway.  

I think it's worth trying to make happen... especially for a guy who probably shouldnt' play more than 12-13 minutes a night now anyway.  

I would take him over Read. Jagr plays RW and only RW.

So even Read is more versatile than Jagr.

However just to entertain this conversation....find a place to ship Read create some space for him and yeah why not for one year.

But back to reality....ain't gonna happen!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would take him over Read. Jagr plays RW and only RW.

So even Read is more versatile than Jagr.

However just to entertain this conversation....find a place to ship Read create some space for him and yeah why not for one year.

But back to reality....ain't gonna happen!

Obviously it ain't gonna happen but it's a Friday in July, what else are we gonna talk about?

Read might not be making the team anyway.  There's a significant chance Hextall will have to waive him or ship him out to whoever will take him.  

59 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Then you're kicking Konecny to his off wing again?

You're going to have a cap overage hit next year when kids hit their bonuses?

That's all I've got.

Not necessarily.  Konecny might be playing with Couturier.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

what else are we gonna talk about?

How about trade Lehtera or Filppula for Duclair for the Yotes???

They are having trouble resigning him and need depth at forward.

Hey i think it is more realistic.

At the trade deadline Flyers were rumored be kicking the tires on the young LW.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not necessarily.  Konecny might be playing with Couturier.  

Then you move Simmonds or Voracek to their off wing. Same problem.

18 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Then you move Simmonds or Voracek to their off wing. Same problem.

Then put Jagr on the damn 4th line so he doesn't break a sweat and just use him on the 2nd unit!

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about trade Lehtera or Filppula for Duclair for the Yotes???

They are having trouble resigning him and need depth at forward.

Hey i think it is more realistic.

At the trade deadline Flyers were rumored be kicking the tires on the young LW.

If the Yotes go for something like that, then by all means.  But if they can't afford whatever DuClair is asking for, how are they going to afford 9.7 million for the two of Lehtera and Filppula?  

Shoulda sent them Schenn instead.

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If the Yotes go for something like that, then by all means.  But if they can't afford whatever DuClair is asking for, how are they going to afford 9.7 million for the two of Lehtera and Filppula?  

Shoulda sent them Schenn instead.

I didn't say they couldn't afford him. There could be many reasons they are having trouble. I think i'd want more to waste away in Arizona than say somewhere like Philly. But who knows what the deal is.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I didn't say they couldn't afford him. There could be many reasons they are having trouble. I think i'd want more to waste away in Arizona than say somewhere like Philly. But who knows what the deal is.

SO you're sayin' there's a chance?

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Image result for there's a chance gif

Obviously you're right... BUT...

Looking at the Arizona lineup, they literally have:

-6 forwards on Entry Level contracts (one 22 year old, two 21 year olds, two 20 year olds and an 18 year old)

-3 Veterans (Stepan, McGinn and Reider)

-2 Vets on LTIR with no timetable for return (Bolland and Richardson)

-1 Nick Cousins

-2 Unsigned UFAs

Long story short:  The Coyotes literally NEED to sign Duclair and Martinook to even be able to ice 4 lines. And when they do, if they make no additional changes, half of those 4 lines will be 22 years old or younger and zero NHL players in the press box for injury fill in.  

I'm not saying it's Filppula and Lehtera and I'm not saying we'd get Duclair in return, but CLEARLY this is a team that's kinda desperate that Hextall can deal with. 

Lehtera, Weise, Read, maybe even Raffl could need to stop up on some sunblock. They are exactly the type of player I'd be looking for to fill out my team if I'm Arizona to boot.  Weise and Raffl are especially appealing to me as they make the least and are under contract for long enough to get some of their kids more up to NHL speed.  Lehtera costs enough that some salary retention might be necessary.  

Now before everyone takes the leap to where I know everyone's going to take the leap, Arizona is ABSOLUTELY FINE on defense.  They will not be trading for MacDonald.  

Sorry.  

Meantime, I'm keeping my eye on the southwest for the moment.  Hextall might not be done afterall, though at this point, he may wait til camp to pull the trigger on anything.

The only reason I'd consider Jagr is to set an example for the young kids coming up.  But, really, there is no fit for him in this lineup.  Flyers have too many wingers as it is.  Playing him on the right side would force someone, likely Konecny, to the left where there is already a logjam.  And I'd like to see Konecny on the right next year, which is where he spent a good deal of time in juniors.

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

I know, I know... but wouldn't you rather have him than Weise or Lehtera or Read at this point?

Gotta be a way to make it work. 

I'd rather have neither 4 of them.

You'd just be adding to the list of players we don't need. Jagr is good but this team shouldn't be wasting a roster spot on a 45 year old. We have players that are much more deserving of the icetime Jagr would want (top 6 and PP)

40 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I'd rather have neither 4 of them.

You'd just be adding to the list of players we don't need. Jagr is good but this team shouldn't be wasting a roster spot on a 45 year old. We have players that are much more deserving of the icetime Jagr would want (top 6 and PP)

They need at least one of them.  

Weise, Read, Raffl  and Lehtera can't score on the PP.  

Just saying...  

Archived