Sign Jagr

King Knut

Where would Jagr fit in this group of wingers?  

Filppula -- Giroux -- Voracek
Lindblom -- Patrick -- Simmonds

Weal -- Couturier -- Konecny

I deliberately left off the fourth line.  I don't see Jagr playing a fourth line role.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, King Knut said:

The Flyers have cap room.  

The Flyers need help on the 2nd PP Unit.

Sign Jagr.

Play him with Filppula and Patrick, but drop him every other shift and put Lindblom, Konecny or Raffl up in his place.  

Waive Lehtera, Read or Weise to make room.  

He'll be a good influence on the kid.  Everyone likes him.  He's still got miles left in the tank.  

Sure the old fart only put up 46 points last year, but he played in every game and played  17 minutes a night. 

What he we didn't play him every night?

What if we only played him 12 minutes a night?  What if we gave him the entire month of March off completely.

The Flyers can do that this year because they literally have too many damn forwards.

This is of course the exact reason that makes signing him crazy, but not resigning him 5 years ago was an unmitigated disaster for this team and unlike younger players like Iginla and Doan, for whatever reason, Jagr can still play.  

Hell, sign him then say he's got a rash like Hossa and LTIR him until January or even the trade deadline.  

The fact is that there are too many forwards on this team that are servicable and good and just won't be bringing anything to get to the next level.

There are also rookies who are green and young and can't really be trusted to ride on a 2nd like all season.

What's a better solution than a Vet who has the ability to change the game, if not every minute of every night, then definitely for a few shifts here and there?

Bring him in and manage his minutes.  Use what he's got left to help this damn team dig itself out of the Homer induced Quagmire now so that when the rookies and picks and prospects are taking their rightful place in the top 9, the team has a culture of positivity and winning.

Yeah, I know it'll never happen... but has anyone got a good reason why it shouldn't?

1) he's old

2)he's slow

3) it flies in the face of everything our GM is clearly trying to do

4) you just took a 2nd year skill player out of the top 6 at a time when you should be developing confidence and skill just to randomly sign a 45 year old who is going nowhere for absolutely no reason other than inexplicable redundancy 

5)I'm really tired of the "sign the random vet" this offseason when it's so ridiculously unnecessary and clearly in opposition of plan. 

6) we have a ton of forwards. It's insane to sign another, especially one in the middle of significant drop off

Sorry, you only wanted one, but this was entirely too easy. 

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

I know, I know... but wouldn't you rather have him than Weise or Lehtera or Read at this point?

Gotta be a way to make it work. 

As a matter of fact, absolutely not.   Not at all, actually. 

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

1) he's old

2)he's slow

3) it flies in the face of everything our GM is clearly trying to do

4) you just took a 2nd year skill player out of the top 6 at a time when you should be developing confidence and skill just to randomly sign a 45 year old who is going nowhere for absolutely no reason other than inexplicable redundancy 

5)I'm really tired of the "sign the random vet" this offseason when it's so ridiculously unnecessary and clearly in opposition of plan. 

6) we have a ton of forwards. It's insane to sign another, especially one in the middle of significant drop off

Sorry, you only wanted one, but this was entirely too easy. 

What you're saying is all true. 

But we already have 4 random bets clogging up the roster.  

Jagr fits their needs better than having four defensively responsible clones of each other. And he wouldn't be for more than a year or two max -the duration we're already stuck with Lehtera and Raffl. Next year Filppula and Rad are gone.  

We'd have to unload some dead weight, but that dead weight is already clogging things for a year or two. 

Hes not a random vet.  He's Jagr. 

Anyway, I'm now more into this Duclair idea.  Mostly because Arizona desperately  needs players.  Like really bad. 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

As a matter of fact, absolutely not.   Not at all, actually. 

Just having fun, but why don't you take it a little more seriously?

...but while we're at it, just in theory, would you really rather have Lehtera, Read, Weise or Raffl over Jagr for the next two years?  

Just in theory.  You're stuck with something... you'd really be rather be stuck with Jagr after all he did here and in Florida the last two years?

i just think he does more to fill holes and loosen things for the kids and show some leadership for the prospects than those four boring arse clones. 

34 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just think he does more to fill holes and loosen things for the kids and show some leadership for the prospects than those four boring arse clones

See, i don't think he fills anything. Want to hire him as an assistant coach to teach the kids how to operate a power play, I'm with you. I don't want him on the roster. If he plays, he's not scoring more than 25 points. I really don't want him. 

I think it was you that mentioned Read probably doesn't make the team either way. I agree with that, so he's really not in the discussion for me. But I really do prefer any of Lehtera, Weise or Raffl over Jagr at this point

And I'm with you about not having left him go last time he was here. But not now. 

My other post was strong, but it was directed at Jagr not you. Largely because this was beaten in another thread and I'm irritated by the idea of it (I don't care that it was discussed in two threads. That's fine. We still need another 200 to catch up to Couturier). 

And for whatever reason, my phone and this site don't like each other tonight and that's getting on my last nerve

I think bringing back Jagr would be a great thing. All the kids in the lineup and he'd get the opportunity to bring them all under his wing and teach them the ins and outs of being a pro. You could easily find a spot for the guy. It's clear the left side is going to be Konecny, Lindblom and Weal which leaves the right side of Voracek and Simmonds. You could easily put together the following lines:

Konecny - Giroux - Jagr

Weal - Couturier - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds

Filppula - Laughton - Weise

Of course, you could swap Simmonds and Jagr and have Jagr play with the youngsters. Either way, you could find a spot for Jagr.

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's clear the left side is going to be Konecny

I hope not.  The guy is a natural right winger, and playing the left hampered his game last year.

Put him back on the right side where he belongs and let's all stop with the Jagr insanity.

PS:  I really like nothing about your lines.

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I hope not.  The guy is a natural right winger, and playing the left hampered his game last year.

Put him back on the right side where he belongs and let's all stop with the Jagr insanity.

PS:  I really like nothing about your lines.

The guy might be a natural winger, but the GM and Head Coach are going to use him on the left wing. Konecny will be perfectly fine on the left side. 

If they put Konecny back on the right side, there's still a considerable gap on the left side. There's Lindblom and Weal and that's about it. On top of it, there's no other left wingers in the system that are ready. Leier is pretty much a bottom role winger and there's no chance they use Patrick on the left side to 'ease him in' so to speak. 

Jagr would be great on a year deal because he's a great mentor for the young players. Every where he's been, the young guys have done nothing but rave about his play and work ethic. Nothing wrong with having that in the locker room, especially when there will be a lot of young guys in the lineup.

As for the lines, lines are subject to change. As I mentioned, you could put Simmonds alongside Konecny - Giroux and you could put Jagr with Lindblom - Patrick, which those two youngsters would benefit immensely from Jagr's presence.

if this is going to be a development year, Jagr is the perfect guy to bring in to help guys. He knows what his role is going to be going forward. If Jagr can be had for $2 million, that's a steal for what he brings to the table. Let's also not forget the impact he had on Giroux and Voracek's game. No reason to believe that the hall of famer can't provide them with tips as well. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The guy might be a natural winger, but the GM and Head Coach are going to use him on the left wing. Konecny will be perfectly fine on the left side. 

If they put Konecny back on the right side, there's still a considerable gap on the left side. There's Lindblom and Weal and that's about it. On top of it, there's no other left wingers in the system that are ready. Leier is pretty much a bottom role winger and there's no chance they use Patrick on the left side to 'ease him in' so to speak. 

Jagr would be great on a year deal because he's a great mentor for the young players. Every where he's been, the young guys have done nothing but rave about his play and work ethic. Nothing wrong with having that in the locker room, especially when there will be a lot of young guys in the lineup.

As for the lines, lines are subject to change. As I mentioned, you could put Simmonds alongside Konecny - Giroux and you could put Jagr with Lindblom - Patrick, which those two youngsters would benefit immensely from Jagr's presence.

if this is going to be a development year, Jagr is the perfect guy to bring in to help guys. He knows what his role is going to be going forward. If Jagr can be had for $2 million, that's a steal for what he brings to the table. Let's also not forget the impact he had on Giroux and Voracek's game. No reason to believe that the hall of famer can't provide them with tips as well. 

Filppula can flip out and play LW as well.

Read can play LW too.

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Filppula can flip out and play LW as well.

Read can play LW too.

And Raffl. There's no reason to play Konecny out of position this year.

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

they put Konecny back on the right side, there's still a considerable gap on the left side. There's Lindblom and Weal and that's about it. On top of it, there's no other left wingers in the system that are ready. Leier is pretty much a bottom role winger and there's no chance they use Patrick on the left side to 'ease him in' so to speak. 

No, there's also Filpulla and Raffl. I guess Read, too, but I'm thinking he may not be on the team before camp is over. Lehtera can slide there, too,  although I wouldn't put him above the third line. But we don't have to. 

There is zero reason to put Konecny on the left other than willful idiocy. Which would already be well-established if they signed Jagr. Rest assured, the Jagr thing ain't happening. It's just not. There is zero good reason for it, for starters, and it would be diametrically opposed to what Hextall is doing. 

Can we talk about something more sensible? Like selling sand in the desert? 

This is going to go down one of two ways: 

1) he gets signed by Florida in mid- to late-September to a $1M/1 yr deal to play on the fourth like, or

2)He goes back to Russia. 

He's not coming to Philly and shouldn't. It's astounding to me that we're even talking about it. It's like people can actually look at the team being built and look at what Hextall has been doing and actually think this is a plausible or sound idea. 

Sorry. It's just astounding. 

On 2017-07-21 at 11:40 AM, AJgoal said:

Then you're kicking Konecny to his off wing again?

You're going to have a cap overage hit next year when kids hit their bonuses?

That's all I've got.

I definitely think Konecny will be a winger on this roster. He's too good for a 4th line role, but unlikely to be as solid down the middle as G/Patrick/Couts.

I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but I would really like to see a Weal/Couts/Konecny line. Couts is money at getting pucks and sending the play up the ice. He's slow, but that's where the two speed demons on his wings could be a nice compliment.

Oh, I don't think anyone believes Konecny will be anything but a winger. It's just which side he'll ultimately play on that is up for some debate.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No, there's also Filpulla and Raffl. I guess Read, too, but I'm thinking he may not be on the team before camp is over. Lehtera can slide there, too,  although I wouldn't put him above the third line. But we don't have to. 

There is zero reason to put Konecny on the left other than willful idiocy. Which would already be well-established if they signed Jagr. Rest assured, the Jagr thing ain't happening. It's just not. There is zero good reason for it, for starters, and it would be diametrically opposed to what Hextall is doing. 

1) he gets signed by Florida in mid- to late-September to a $1M/1 yr deal to play on the fourth like, or

He's not coming to Philly and shouldn't. It's astounding to me that we're even talking about it. It's like people can actually look at the team being built and look at what Hextall has been doing and actually think this is a plausible or sound idea. 

Agreed. Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of Jagr - his work ethic, leadership by example, and skill could still be of some benefit to this team. But he just doesn't fit anywhere. Now, I'm working on the assumption that Patrick makes the team out of camp and you're already sliding Filpulla out to wing, but it doesn't really seem like he won't. So your top nine wingers are Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Weal, Filpulla, and likely Lindblom. Jagr won't sign to play on the fourth line, and he shouldn't, he is still better than that.

The idea is growing on me of putting Giroux between Lindblom and Simmonds. Those two could give him some space to operate and finish on his passes, as well as go to the net, which has been a weakness of Giroux's line since Hartnell was traded. Then you go Weal - Couturier - Konecny, and Fipulla - Patrick - Voracek. Honestly, there's not many opportunities for Hakstol to screw up the top nine this year. There are question marks, but as long as those guys make up the top 9 in some shape or form, they should do fairly well.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, vis said:

I deliberately left off the fourth line.  I don't see Jagr playing a fourth line role.

I love that anyone's taking this seriously.  Obviously it isn't going to happen, I'm just having fun.  

BUT since we're playing along at home, here's what I'd suggest.

And THIS FIRST PART IS A LEGIT SUGGESTION:

Hextall should trade any two of Raffl, Read, Weise and Lehtera to Arizona for reasons stated in a post above, but which i'll condense as follows:  They don't have enough roster players at all let alone NHLers to start the season (don't get excited, they're actually full on D, Mac ain't going anywhere).

Whether he gets a Duclair (pipe dream) or he gets picks, it really doesn't matter.  What he's really doing to loosening up some more cap room, but more importantly for our purposes, some Roster room.

My suggestion for now is that Jagr splits shifts on the 2nd line with Patrick (assuming Patrick makes the team).  

As per your layout above, he can split with Lindblom who can then get more minutes on the 4th line with (presumably Laughton) and one of whichever of the above mentioned players aren't traded.

Jagr plays on the 2nd PP Unit with Patrick & Weal (+Lindblom or Konecny and I'm hoping Sanheim, but probably Provo).  

Ultimately Jagr gets 9-10 minutes a night, which still leaves 10-12 for (in this case) Lindblom between his 2nd line platoon and his 4th line minutes easing him into the NHL.  

Alternatively, you can just play Jagr on the 4th line and the 2nd Unit outright because a 4th line of Laughton & Read/Raffl/Weise is going to be more than a simple checking line and the addition of Jagr will ensure it.

After a year, you lose Filppula and Read no matter what.  After two years, maybe it's actually legitimately time to talk to the then 48 year old about a smooth transition behind the bench (no, not as head coach, but a spot that would lead him there eventually for someone).  I think it's that implicit transition that sells the platooning or 4th line minutes to Jagr in the signing phase.  

SImply put, at 45 he'd be more productive than anyone was on the 2nd Unit last year and far better than Tim Kerr was when San Jose drafted him (at 31) from the Flyers and the help Jagr would bring to the 2nd PP unit alone would be of enough benefit to make it worthwhile to the team.

The roster is packed, but it's already packed with players of similar skill sets who are going to do NOTHING to improve the 2nd PP unit situation.

The best part is, there's no way he's singing for more than a couple of years.  

But I'm just having fantasy hockey fun.  Hextall won't do it.

Hextall should however be on the phone with Phoenix right now trying to figure out something.  We have too many players, they don't have enough.  Plus we have a history of "making things work" deals with that team.  

1 hour ago, philaphansrefugee said:

Signing Jagr now would be as monumentally a bad decision as letting him walk after that magical run back in '12. 

Without making another move, yes.

But that's not what I'm talking about.  However, it is rather amusing or endearing that people are taking it so seriously. 

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It would be astounding if I had any pull or sway to make it happen.  

What's astounding (it started out as amusing, but now it's astounding) is how people are reacting to it like it's an actual thing and not just a bit of strat-0-matic fun on a summer afternoon.  

But in case anyone actually just want so have fun and play a bit, 

Konecny doesn't move.  Jagr plays on the 4th line (which won't be a pure checking line this year no matter what)  or splits time on line 3 with a Konecny or Lindblom type that then fills out his minutes on the 4th line with Laughton and (Read, Raffl, Weise, Lehtera... take your pick... they're the same guy).

IMHO Jagr doesn't get more than 5-7 at even strength a night.  The point is to get him those 2-5 minutes of PP time on the 2nd unit and put in a few more goals.  

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

Konecny doesn't move.  Jagr plays on the 4th line (which won't be a pure checking line this year no matter what)  or splits time on line 3 with a Konecny or Lindblom type that then fills out his minutes on the 4th line with Laughton and (Read, Raffl, Weise, Lehtera... take your pick... they're the same guy).

Yeah, if Jagr signs anywhere, Philly included, I would have to imagine it would be this kind of situation.   

What do you think about Laughton?   I don't think he makes the team.   If he does, I have little confidence he stays.   I don't know what we had when we drafted him.   I think he actually had some potential.  I mean, nothing earth shattering or game-changing necessarily, but probably a solid player.    Did they guess wrong or was his career hurt by the concussions?   I don't expect anyone here to know, but just wondering what thoughts are.

I'm not necessarily against signing a Jagr, but there's a lot of issues that need to be addressed.

1. Jagr's likely going to want $4.5mm or so. When he left the Flyers after the 2012 playoffs, one factor was his cash demands. The Flyers have some cap space, but if they do have 4 or 5 rookies on the roster, they will have to worry about overages affecting next year's cap. Granted they could possibly move some bodies out, but who and how? Can't just cut guys, and you can only bury $1.25mm in the AHL or elsewhere. Trading a guy like Lehtera might sound great, but does another team take on 2 years at $4.7mm? Read or Raffl might be tradeable, but who knows? Is it better to just give a guy away?

2. The second factor that was rumored when Jagr left in '12 was role. Jagr reportedly wants a top 6 role. Even at 45, he can certainly play at a top 6 level. The question is, can he do it for 82 games & possibly into the playoffs? Also, would Jagr agree if the Flyers told him he was going to be on the 2nd PP unti, rather than the 1st? Both points 1 & 2 I'm making are unknown to the general populace, of course, but there's been plenty of speculation in the legitimate press about both of them.

3. The Flyers are already pretty deep up front. Granted, there's nobody with the resume of Jagr, but there's plenty of young guys who can step into bigger roles and too many guys who can be very solid bottom six forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if they start the season with 2 healthy scratch forwards, allowing for injury and flexibility. And those two scratches will be guys who are very capable bottom 6 forwards in the NHL. It won't be a VandeVelde or Rinaldo sitting. It'll just be (hopefully) a pricey vet that can actually play solid minutes and not hurt a team.

I just look at the roster and see that they have solid depth and room to allow younger players to assume bigger roles. I'd rather do that than add a 45 year old legend and have to give away solid veterans who might be worth 3rd or even 2nd rounders at the TDL-or who could step in and fill a role when injuries hit.

Maybe if they could deal Filppula, I'd be more open to it, moving a guy who is part of the logjam at C to bring in a natural winger. But otherwise, let's see the kids.

Probably not the thread for this, but @King Knut's post -- and BobbyClarke's got me thinking.

Who do  you put on the line with Giroux?   Would you put Jake back with him or do you split them up?  Pretend for a minute that Patrick makes the team and takes 2C (I don't know that you through a young kid in there, but I guess the option is Couturier, and I'm not thrilled with that). And I guess Konecny goes to the third line?  I'm wondering if that isn't a waste, but if he plays the right side you almost have to, unless you drop Voracek there.  I don't think I drop Simmonds to the third line when he's the one scoring consistently the past couple of years.  Right?

LW  -  C - RW

Lindblom - Giroux - Simmonds?

Filpulla - Patrick - Voracek

Lehtera - Couturier - Konecny?

Raffl -- Laughton - Weise/Weal    (I'd center Weise, play Weal on wing, and find somewhere to dump Laughton)

PP:   Giroux, Patrick, Simmonds, Voracek, Ghost

PP2: Filpulla, Lindblom, Konecny, Provorov, ?

I like the first unit, but the second is kind of meh.  I'm deliberately trying to keep Couturier off it.   But if you wanted to fill the "?" with a forward I guess you add him.  But who there has the experience and the mobility to play point?

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting someone.   I didn't forget Read.  I don't ice him unless there's an injury.  I'd try to either move him or find him an apartment in Allentown.

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek

Konecny - Patrick - Simmonds   (Konecny plays off-wing, but just trying to get him on the top two lines)

Filpulla - Couturier - Weal

Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

If Weal can play left wing, I'd be awfully tempted to flip him and Konecny just to get TK back on the right.

Lindblom - Giroux - Konecny

Filpulla - Patrick - Simmonds

Weal? -  Couturier - Voracek

Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

Between 3W and 4C, I would really rather Lehtera at 4C, but I suspect that's not the plan.

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

I love that anyone's taking this seriously.  Obviously it isn't going to happen, I'm just having fun. 

Well, it's late-July and there's not much happening so...I'm pretty happy to participate in almost any discussion...

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

Hextall should trade any two of Raffl, Read, Weise and Lehtera to Arizona for reasons stated in a post above, but which i'll condense as follows:  They don't have enough roster players at all let alone NHLers to start the season (don't get excited, they're actually full on D, Mac ain't going anywhere).

No doubt about that.  One of my "wishes" for the offseason mentioned in another thread was for Hextall to clear out some of the underbrush among the forwards.  None of those players are, or should be, in their long term plans.  Get rid of them and move on.

I don't see anyone in the top 9 that Jagr should supplant.  And, the Flyers have enough PP players such that there is no need to stash a guy like Jagr on the fourth line for PP duty.  Given the dearth of PKers, I'd rather use the fourth line to stash defensively capable players who can kill a penalty and mix things up on a forecheck for the opposition.  

On 7/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, vis said:

Filppula had a whopping 12 goals last year. If it's inconceivable that he can't be taken off the top line, they are in a lot of trouble. It's marginal, but Jagr hhad more goals and points than him.

Where is the Jordan Weal confidence coming from? I see people casually throwing him into their mock lineups. What has this kid proven? That's actually a question for everyone, because I don't see it. I would ask similar questions about Lindblom as well. I never assume a kid is going to make the roster anymore, let alone more than one of them. We've done that too many times in the past and I can count on one hand how many young players have actually panned out for this team.

@ruxpin as to point number three, one player does not fly in the face of an entire philosophy.

I didn't mean to imply that the lines would shake out as I have them.  Was just trying to list out the players in the top 9 and likely positions, as I see it, they will play.  Filppula could end up playing a third line role.  However, I don't see him playing anything but a top 9 role.  I just highly doubt that the Flyers would leave him, and his salary, on the fourth line.

Agree that Weal hasn't proven a lot in the NHL.  And clearly Lindblom hasn't proved anything in the NHL.  However, it seems the organization believes, and I agree, that it's time for them (and some of the other young players) to prove something in the NHL.  Both have enjoyed success in their other leagues.  Time to see if they can do it in the NHL as well.  Makes no sense to me to relegate them to the fourth line if you want to see what they are capable of.

Apart from that, I thought Weal earned a spot coming out of camp last year and should have been on the team ahead of Cousins.  Do I think he can keep up the same scoring/points pace he did when he finally earned a role?  No.  But, he displayed speed, skill and creativity, which are things last year's group lacked.

In relation to Jagr, the team does not need him.  He is not a difference maker in terms of how successful the team will be.  It's a bubble team with or without him.  Plus, he is slow and his scoring ability is on the decline.  Rather see young guys, who could be a part of the future, on the team than Jagr who should not be part of the long term future.

Now, if the team determines to put Weal or Linblom on the fourth line - and consequently Read, Raffl, Lehtera and/or Weise are elevated to the top 9 - then, yeah, I think I'd rather see Jagr on the team than any of those four - just for his veteran presence alone.  

tl;dr - Doubt Filppula lands on the fourth line.  Weal and Lindblom haven't proven anything in the NHL, but it's time to see what they can do.  Jagr is not a difference maker on this team.  Rather see young guys play a top 9 role.

Archived