A Take on Giroux in 2017-18

Howie58

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Bah, those predictions don't seem so bold to me.

Sure at this point every bit as right as someone predicting them to have a bad/down season again. Positive stuff around here just rubs many here the wrong way....it's is comical even sometimes.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure at this point every bit as right as someone predicting them to have a bad/down season again. Positive stuff around here just rubs many here the wrong way....it's is comical even sometimes.

Pretty much. It's easier to be negative, especially on the interwebs. People prefer being pleasantly surprised over being disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

G is out of excuses, now its all up to him. He is healed from his injury, the coached has been changed, the players around him changed. I for one am sick of listening to his creative post game excuses. 

I would like for you to provide an example of a creative post game excuse. 

seriously, I can't remember G thowing others under the bus, ala Steve Mason.  

is this what you mean or something else ?

\

How many times after a game did he say "I wish we would have played better", "we'll be better next time". I honestly cant recall if he said "I or we". If I had time I would go threw all the old interviews, but I dont. :VeryCool: 

21 hours ago, Leach27 said:

How many times after a game did he say "I wish we would have played better", "we'll be better next time". I honestly cant recall if he said "I or we". If I had time I would go threw all the old interviews, but I dont. :VeryCool: 

with all due respect, there's nothing creative about either of those quotes, irrespective of the pronoun.

Those read like typical "nothing content" sports quotes. 

just say he needs to play better.  he does.  I hope he does, if he does it means the Flyers will be playing winning hockey.

I hope he plays better as well, BUT if he doesn't at the very least, give someone else the C (17) or get find a way to move him. Would be nice to have a captain that actually earns his paycheck & sticks up for his teammates.

5 hours ago, Leach27 said:

BUT if he doesn't at the very least, give someone else the C (17) or get find a way to move him. Would be nice to have a captain that actually earns his paycheck & sticks up for his teammates.

So Giroux doesn't earn his paycheck because he doesn't fight ?

I think he's still the best player on the team.

His production is not in line with his contract, but neither is Jonathan Towes.  You can say but "Towes won championships" and I'll say his teams have been significantly better than Giroux's. Keith, Seabrook, Hjmralsson, Oduya. That's 50 minutes of great defense...

I think removing 28 from the team, makes the team worse, and by a lot.

Also,  I think there's an outsized mythology surrounding the "C",  I don't find the team to be poorly led, clearly, you do. 

I have some empathy for the fact that G was never a captain until he got to the NHL, I think he's done fine, I don't think the guys in the room disrespect him. In fact I think the fact people are disappointed when they are traded or not tendered contracts, Ryan White, MDZ speaks to the culture of the team that Giroux is responsible for creating.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:01 PM, mojo1917 said:

So Giroux doesn't earn his paycheck because he doesn't fight ?

I think he's still the best player on the team.

His production is not in line with his contract, but neither is Jonathan Towes.  You can say but "Towes won championships" and I'll say his teams have been significantly better than Giroux's. Keith, Seabrook, Hjmralsson, Oduya. That's 50 minutes of great defense...

I think removing 28 from the team, makes the team worse, and by a lot.

Also,  I think there's an outsized mythology surrounding the "C",  I don't find the team to be poorly led, clearly, you do. 

I have some empathy for the fact that G was never a captain until he got to the NHL, I think he's done fine, I don't think the guys in the room disrespect him. In fact I think the fact people are disappointed when they are traded or not tendered contracts, Ryan White, MDZ speaks to the culture of the team that Giroux is responsible for creating.

It's more than he doesn't fight. Did you watch any games last year?? It was 17 sticking up for his teammates. 17 did all the things last year that giroux was PAID to do as captain (31 goals total, 16 were on the pp). 

I have no sympathy for G, to remind you he makes $8,275,000 US per year & for the last 2 seasons & delivers the following. Do you think this is good value for such an investment? 

2015-16    Philadelphia Flyers    NHL    78    22    45    67    53    -8    6    0    1    1    2
2016-17    Philadelphia Flyers    NHL    82    14    44    58    38    -15    --    --    --    --

Maybe you are so accustomed to mediocrity that it is now acceptable. 

7 hours ago, Leach27 said:

It's more than he doesn't fight. Did you watch any games last year?? It was 17 sticking up for his teammates. 17 did all the things last year that giroux was PAID to do as captain (31 goals total, 16 were on the pp). 

I have no sympathy for G, to remind you he makes $8,275,000 US per year & for the last 2 seasons & delivers the following. Do you think this is good value for such an investment? 

2015-16    Philadelphia Flyers    NHL    78    22    45    67    53    -8    6    0    1    1    2
2016-17    Philadelphia Flyers    NHL    82    14    44    58    38    -15    --    --    --    --

Maybe you are so accustomed to mediocrity that it is now acceptable. 

Alright give it one last kick but let's bury this horse it's is starting to stink around here....

:whiteflag:

On 8/4/2017 at 9:40 AM, jammer2 said:

I still contend it was a decent call. It was asking a 23 year old Jeff  to score 14 more goals than the previous season. Who peaks at 23? Not only peaked, he never got to 40 ever again. In the end, he was just not smart enough to take it to the next level, but he had the skills if only he had the vision. 

I think Laine scores 60 goals by 2020...and when it happens,, I will say I told you so...ha ha!

Statistically, that is when most NHL players have their peak season.

Carter, Richards, Giroux, Getzlaf, Ovechkin, even Crosby. They all had their peak seasons right around 23.

10 hours ago, Leach27 said:

Do you think this is good value for such an investment? 

no, and I said as much. 

On 9/24/2017 at 5:01 PM, mojo1917 said:

His production is not in line with his contract,

But TM Radoran How many of 17s point were a result of 28 being on the ice ?

I'm sure there are stats that take me too far into the weeds for me to care about to prove it for sure. Of Simmonds 16 pp goals, I wonder how many G had a hand in, either by getting a puck on net for a rebound or making a pass ? I'll bet we're looking at over 35% maybe even 50%...

My issue is Giroux isn't a superstar player, he's very good, probably in the gaggle of top 20 players after Crosby, McDavid, Matthews. He's paid accordingly to his role on the team. He has been the best player on the team for last 5 years. 

But, he's not big, he's not a burner and with very little scoring coming from elsewhere on the roster, it's not hard to load up to stop his line.  

I think with better talent in the top 9, we'll see better production from him, the rising tide lifting all ships.  We started to see the team play better after Filpulla came on board because he provided more skilled depth.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this team can become,  I think they may surprise some people if the young guys on defense play well. 

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

no, and I said as much. 

But TM Radoran How many of 17s point were a result of 28 being on the ice ?

I'm sure there are stats that take me too far into the weeds for me to care about to prove it for sure. Of Simmonds 16 pp goals, I wonder how many G had a hand in, either by getting a puck on net for a rebound or making a pass ? I'll bet we're looking at over 35% maybe even 50%...

Giroux had three primary and five secondary assists on Simmonds' power play goals.

The flip side of that argument is how many of those goals were scored because Simmonds was willing to be down front?

There's a chicken/egg aspect to it. I will say that I get the impression that, especially on the power play, each player makes the other better.

18 hours ago, radoran said:

Giroux had three primary and five secondary assists on Simmonds' power play goals.

I would have thought that number would be higher. One factor may be the assist goes out the window once the goalie saves the puck...willing to bet more than a few goals by Wayne were direct rebounds kinda things. 

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I would have thought that number would be higher. One factor may be the assist goes out the window once the goalie saves the puck...willing to bet more than a few goals by Wayne were direct rebounds kinda things. 

You would anticipate a few unassisted PPG then and I don't recall any.

They were fiddling a bit with the PP personnel last year IIRC so 17 and 28 weren't always out together?

Also didn't look at the other 15 goals :)

Archived