A Take on Giroux in 2017-18

Howie58

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giroux is obviously a Face Off God and that is going to continue. I agree with Konecny, and the likes of Voracek, Simmons, Lehtera, but we can't expect him to all of the sudden become what he is not. He is great at what he does and I'll take that any day because he is definitely one of the best Centers in the league. 

I started this thread in July....has taken on a life of its own...yikes!  My thought on the Left Wing gig is is simple...if it helps the team and prolongs his career...great...WTF.

Best,

Howie

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2017 at 6:05 PM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

If you recall a few weeks back I posted that Giroux's performance was one of the five big questions heading into next year.  Here is a take on that from CSN:

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/end-end-state-claude-giroux?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

I hope the consensus is right, that we get a "stabilized" Giroux who is helped by some newcomers.  The possible move to wing--interesting.  Yikes...14 goals...that's a pisser. I hope we see more this year.

Howie

Dig up some old stuff...

Giroux off to the 3rd best start of his career.

DN33zWOXcAANt75.jpg:large

Who knew.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:41 PM, Jam1986 said:

Hope  G and Jake have good years so someone will take a chance  on them for a trade. Keep building Hexy!

You mean the two guys who are currently ranked 6th and 7th in overall NHL scoring? Or do you mean 2/3rd of the line that makes up 80% of all our pts this season?

I can understand possibly trading Voracek if the return is great, but losing Giroux would be a huge blow to the team.

14 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

Just saying out loud age and contract. hurt them. Might get a handful would help rebuild. 9

Center/wings like G don't grow on trees. He would be a lot harder to part with than Jake for all he does on the ice. I would trade Jake, but I would want a good winger AND a good veteran NHL defenseman for him. 

The Flyers should really think about moving Simmonds. Jake needs to stay, you guys are giving him too much flak for last season, everyone last season underachieved for the most part.
G and Jake always needed a finisher, and big body who could play the game smart. Cooter is now that guy and they are in the top 3 for line scoring in the league.
Simmonds will get you a decent return in draft picks and prospects and will be easier for other teams to fit in their cap space. Simmer will get $5.5-6mil on his next contract.

I love Simmer, one of my all-time favs, but he is cock-blocking Konecny right now, TK only getting 3rd line minutes with people like Weiss is bad for his growth. A trade like Simmonds also could potentially open up room for someone like Martel or another prospect to grab 3rd line minutes.
We need more speed, and in all honesty, Simmonds is one of the slowest players on our team. He isn't good with the puck outside of around the net.

G and Jake have great chemistry and should not be seperated for at least the next 3 years.

4 hours ago, Off the Pipe said:

The Flyers should really think about moving Simmonds.

No need to right now really. He is under contract for next year....where else you going to find a 30 goal scorer for 3.9 mil per year??

But i mean some team gives a blow my socks off type of deal i would listen. But no need to pursue a trade just yet.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No need to right now really. He is under contract for next year....where else you going to find a 30 goal scorer for 3.9 mil per year??

But i mean some team gives a blow my socks off type of deal i would listen. But no need to pursue a trade just yet.

This is pretty much how I look at it. You wait until next season, but if I team has an amazing offer for us this season, you take it and run. For Simmonds though, I would prefer the main piece being a young guy already with NHL experience rather than draft picks 

21 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

This is pretty much how I look at it. You wait until next season, but if I team has an amazing offer for us this season, you take it and run. For Simmonds though, I would prefer the main piece being a young guy already with NHL experience rather than draft picks 

I don't trade Simmonds unless I'm BLOWN AWAY by an offer. He does too many other things besides just score goals, and is more valuable to the team than Voracek. I would listen to trade offers for Jake even though he's off to a good start.

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I don't trade Simmonds unless I'm BLOWN AWAY by an offer. He does too many other things besides just score goals, and is more valuable to the team than Voracek. I would listen to trade offers for Jake even though he's off to a good start.

Simmonds will want too much money, and he'll deserve it. As much as a like Simmonds, he is too old for the core and player like him, usually flake out at a younger age. It will be harder to move Voracek.

Chances are we will be getting lots of good offers for Simmonds if/when we decide to move him. I wouldn't be worried about our return

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Simmonds will want too much money, and he'll deserve it. As much as a like Simmonds, he is too old for the core and player like him, usually flake out at a younger age. It will be harder to move Voracek.

Chances are we will be getting lots of good offers for Simmonds if/when we decide to move him. I wouldn't be worried about our return

I'll say it if I haven't already...players like Simmonds are irreplaceable. He is a leader on this team, who teaches all of the guys and is good every aspect of the game. Voracek is a goal scorer primarily, and is not worth as much...so he is more expendable. Just because Simmonds will net us more in return doesn't mean I want to move him. Twenty nine isn't that old for a hockey player.

26 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'll say it if I haven't already...players like Simmonds are irreplaceable. He is a leader on this team, who teaches all of the guys and is good every aspect of the game. Voracek is a goal scorer primarily, and is not worth as much...so he is more expendable. Just because Simmonds will net us more in return doesn't mean I want to move him. Twenty nine isn't that old for a hockey player.

No, 29 isn’t old. It’s the 6-8 year contract he’ll want that is dangerous. 

3 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Give him more money for a shorter term deal and see what happens.

The problem may be that he won't want a shorter term deal. It's always hard to say, but he's still a very effective player in any of a myriad ways. If Hex doesn't agree to whatever terms he wants, some other team will. The equation then becomes a question of loyalty or money.

I like Simmer as much as anyone. He's a great player, and for all we know he may continue to be one until his mid-30s. That would be a gamble to take though. The other side to this is he would likely command a substantial return from some team that feels they're a Simmonds away from a cup run. At some point, Hex will need to start weighing options. Depending on what Simmonds wants for his next contract (term especially), that may mean moving on without him. 

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Voracek isn't a goal scorer. He's a playmaker. In my view, he remains a questionable one at best. But hey, he's putting up big points, so I guess there's more to it than the eye test. That said, I don't think he would be so difficult to move either. I don't think he would command as much as Simmonds, but he's definitely moveable if Hex so chooses. I'm not sure he will choose though.

• 1 month later...

Archived