A Take on Giroux in 2017-18

Howie58

On 10/1/2017 at 7:52 PM, Howie58 said:

I started this thread in July....has taken on a life of its own...yikes!  My thought on the Left Wing gig is is simple...if it helps the team and prolongs his career...great...WTF.

Best,

Howie

Howie do we trade him this summer? Age bad contact and  he is back some. Same for Jake?  Same thing with Simmons like all three but writing on the wall. We should bundle for a couple of these guys. Thanks Always go Flyers! P.S. Cup at least 2 yrs out

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jam1986 said:

Age bad contact and  he is back some. Same for Jake?  

Is the contract still bad... if they finish top 10 in scoring?  If they're producing at the current rate then the contracts are market value for your "stars"...if you trade Giroux you push the window for winning back ...you're not moving it up.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Is the contract still bad..

not at the moment... not at all.  I am more critical of Jake's contract but you can't argue with G and Jake's performance this year.   Let's hope they keep rolling after the break. 

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

not at the moment... not at all.  I am more critical of Jake's contract but you can't argue with G and Jake's performance this year.   Let's hope they keep rolling after the break. 

Its always been about the duration with these guys.  Not so much G as Jake.  

Their dropnoff in production ion never bothered me because the entire team had likewise dropped off (especially at even strength) and I could very easily see the reasons why.  

Giroux gad the added problem of playing through and injury one year and a notoriously slow recovery the next.  

I’m thrilled to be Paying $8 million for guys bay are dramatically outscoring dudes who make $10. 

The issue has always been how long they’ll be able to keep it up. Right and how much will that 8 million be costing us then?  

Jake’s is longer by 2 years if I’m remembering correctly. 

The good news is with all the money coming off the books in the next two years (assuming they buy out Mac after next season) and the fact that the rest of the team is compromised of very young players, the Flyers will essentially need for almost all the young talent to become elite level before even the Jake contract comes off the books.  

If Patrick, Frost, Hart, Morin, Sanheim & Lindblom all become elite players in the next three years, then yes.  The Flyers could have some trouble locking them all up in the next 5 and Jake is a dead albatross. 

Lets see see what kind of bridge deal Provo signs.  It should I’ve us a good indication of what keeping the rest will cost (if they all pan out as hoped which is a bit of a fantasy anyway). 

But if that’s our worst problem, then i’ll Be very happy.  

The bad news is we probably aren’t going to be able to keep Simmonds and that’s a major bummer. 

Read some people complaining about the Seabrook contract today. Signed at 32 years old for 8 years at $6.875M. And he’s already been a healthy scratch.

That’s the kind of stuff we can end up with in Simmonds. Of course, it can go well, but the odds are not in our favour. So does he consider something shorter to stay with a group he feels good about? Maybe. But his current contract is a bargain too.

42 minutes ago, brelic said:

Read some people complaining about the Seabrook contract today. Signed at 32 years old for 8 years at $6.875M. And he’s already been a healthy scratch.

That’s the kind of stuff we can end up with in Simmonds. Of course, it can go well, but the odds are not in our favour. So does he consider something shorter to stay with a group he feels good about? Maybe. But his current contract is a bargain too.

It's time to move Simmonds and Voracek. With regards to Jake and Simmonds, you're looking at clearing over $12 million in cap space and you know that blue chip prospects and picks are coming back. There's so much the Flyers can do with that. 

9 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's time to move Simmonds and Voracek. With regards to Jake and Simmonds, you're looking at clearing over $12 million in cap space and you know that blue chip prospects and picks are coming back. There's so much the Flyers can do with that. 

Yes, you clear $12M. But you also set the team back several years. There's no one even close to ready on this team or prospects that can replace that kind of production.

It's kinda like trading Richards and Carter all over again.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Yes, you clear $12M. But you also set the team back several years. There's no one even close to ready on this team or prospects that can replace that kind of production.

It's kinda like trading Richards and Carter all over again.

I don't know how many trades for magic beans my interest can endure.

I have been okay with trying to ice a competitive team while restocking the system and building for the "future" there will come a point that my patience will reach it's limit. I think that point will be if Voracek , Simmonds or Giroux are dealt for draft picks and prospects in the next 2 years. 

If those guys get traded it needs to be an impact guy coming back not, radoran and aziz's magic beans

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know how many trades for magic beans my interest can endure.

I agree with as much as the stable is already stocked and 10 picks already in the upcoming draft.

I would only trade one of those players.

And it would have to be for a guy who is close to making the NHL maybe by next year in return and a high draft pick in return.

Basically it would have to blow me away to trade them.

I mean even as much as i bust Jake's balls for his head up his ass plays you see even with those types of plays he can still produce.

So both still have a lot of value for the Flyers right now.

And as of right now as @brelic said they would have a hole when they pulled the trigger because they don't know right they have someone who is ready to step in their spot and continue to produce.

Sure they have plenty of guys but in the NHL they are unproven.

It is also why they only have 22 guys on the roster they could call someone and get a look and then weigh their options better in that case.

So no way am i down with moving a RW with already know who will take their spot in the lineup.

2 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I work on trading Simmonds now or this summer.

The draft would be a great time. But i would ship him out West. Wouldn't want him punishing my Flyers.

I wouldn't let him play in his hometown but i would trade him close enough.....so Winnipeg Jets would be close enough.

So if it was out to Winny i would want a trade centered around Kristian Vesalainen in returned and....6-2 210 center.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking od trading Jake...

Jake has more points than Bailey, Crosby, Oven-chicken and Taylor Hall.....yet not All Star game for him.

And all of those guys have significantly more goals than Voracek.

The lowest is Bailey who just has 1/3 more goals (12 to 8), Crosby and Hall have almost twice as many (15) and Over chicken more than three times (27).

Jake having almost half of his assists on the PP (19 of 43) doesn't do much to help his case for a 3-on-3 tournament, either.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking od trading Jake...

Jake has more points than Bailey, Crosby, Oven-chicken and Taylor Hall.....yet not All Star game for him.

If there were another Flyer, it should be Ghost, imo. He's the most dynamic player on our team not named Giroux, and even then, he gives Giroux a run for his money in the "how did he DO that??" department.

Jake is an assist machine, and Couturier is having a career years, but they are more 'boring' players, especially Coots.

In a 3 on 3 format, Giroux and Ghost would be amazing to watch.

23 minutes ago, brelic said:

If there were another Flyer, it should be Ghost, imo. He's the most dynamic player on our team not named Giroux, and even then, he gives Giroux a run for his money in the "how did he DO that??" department.

Jake is an assist machine, and Couturier is having a career years, but they are more 'boring' players, especially Coots.

In a 3 on 3 format, Giroux and Ghost would be amazing to watch.

It would be hard for Couturier, even given his strong play this season, to break into the top four centers in this division.

A few more years like this and he can certainly be in that conversation.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Makes for one heck of a 3rd line....except you don't have anyone to actually go and get them the puck. :eyeroll:

Yeah, all 3 are centre ice fighting over the cheeseburger. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I'll take 3 Kessels.

That leaves me 4 bucks for a cheeseburger!

I don't care what anyone says brother that post wins the day!!! I hate it was so late in the day to laugh like that. Well played.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't care what anyone says brother that post wins the day!!! I hate it was so late in the day to laugh like that. Well played.

Thanks man. Every once in awhile the muse, she strikes just right. I must admit, when I wrote it, I was thinking: this is inspired lol

3 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I think I'd go somewhere else if a cheeseburger only cost $4.  :nonono:

$4 USD is like $32 CDN or something, so you can imagine why I was salivating at the proposition. 

Archived