Oduya signs- Phaneuf on the way out?

yave1964

Rumors have been out there for a few weeks that Senators GM Pierre Dorion has been actively shopping Dion Phaneuf, a minute munching machine on the blue line, and todays signing of Johnny 'Oduya until someone better comes along" on a one year deal may signify that a move is heating up.

Oduya is a body at this point in his career, a smart body who plays the angles and is a nice stay at home guy, the Sens like the bargain bin (see Nate Thompson, Mike Condon, Alexandre Burrows and more) so this could be just a move to bolster a dangerously thin behind Karlsson  Ceci and Phaneuf blueline, which would make sense.

Somehow i do not think so. I think this is the first card in a larger move. Just a thought.

40 minutes ago, hf101 said:

But what about Phaneuf's NMC?    

Phaneuf about a month ago gave the Sens a list of twelve teams he would accept a trade to. 

Personally I believe he is one of the most terribly underrated players in the game today, he didnt win in Toronto (nobody did) and took the heat for not being better than he is, but what he is IMHO is a hell of a hockey player.

always up there near the top of the list in hits and blocks, he plays a hard edged fearless style, he is not a top pair scorer but provides excellent second pair offense and eats a ton of minutes. If you expect him to be Brent Burns or Karlsson you will be sadly disappointed and that is what the Leafs demanded of him, in Ottawa he plays in the shadow of arguably the games best d-man as a quality complimentary piece. I personally would keep him but the Sens may look to make a splash as they are always a low budget team and the young kid forwards are starting to get paid.

On 7/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, yave1964 said:

Phaneuf about a month ago gave the Sens a list of twelve teams he would accept a trade to. 

Personally I believe he is one of the most terribly underrated players in the game today, he didnt win in Toronto (nobody did) and took the heat for not being better than he is, but what he is IMHO is a hell of a hockey player.

always up there near the top of the list in hits and blocks, he plays a hard edged fearless style, he is not a top pair scorer but provides excellent second pair offense and eats a ton of minutes. If you expect him to be Brent Burns or Karlsson you will be sadly disappointed and that is what the Leafs demanded of him, in Ottawa he plays in the shadow of arguably the games best d-man as a quality complimentary piece. I personally would keep him but the Sens may look to make a splash as they are always a low budget team and the young kid forwards are starting to get paid.

I agree and think that Phaneuf is a great defenseman which, block shot and play hard every game. I believe that he is contrary to Karlsson but one of the top defenseman in the league. The fact that Phaneuf didn't succeed in Toronto is not his fault. He had a bad team around him as Kessel had. The system in Toronto was in different position and now with Lou and Babcock is a different story.

I think that Ottawa should keep him and he completes Karlsson, and they are a great defenseman that helps Ottawa a lot in stabilizing the defense. In my opinion, both of them are franchise players and Ottawa need to do everything to secure their future.

Archived