NHL and the Olympics

Edanl

I was reading a couple of articles about in the last couple of months of the participation of NHL players in the Olympics. I was reading one article last week about that which I think it will be their decision. In the article, they commissioner of the league that said they wouldn't participate and also, that the teams are not preparing for an alternative schedule.

In my opinion, it's a wrong decision for the league, and I don't like it. I believe that the Olympics will only do for the league. The exposure of this game to the rest of the world is important for the league, and this helps the league to grows. By not participating I think they are missing a great audience that could have been exposing to this game. I believe that taking part in the Olympics increase the explosion and you can reach an audience that won't have to know about it. If you send the best players, so there is a great chance that more people will see it and maybe get into this game and will bring more audience.

I think that this decision is wrong for the league and I disappointed that I won't see the best players in the world play in the Olympics. Hopefully, it will change, but I don't give a chance.

If I think back over the years the only Olympic hockey games that I remember watching beyond 4 years ago was 1980. 

I'd like to see the Olympics go back to being a competition for Amateurs. This year's Olympics will give me a chance to watch future NHLers again getting an opportunity to play on a World stage.  

For the USA that means mostly College Athletes will play for the red-white-and-blue and I'm cool with that, as on a given night I can still flip the channel to watch the pros in the NHL as anyone else can.    As a fan I really dislike the NHL having to shut down for the Olympics.  No other Professional Sport shuts down mid season like this.  

On 7/27/2017 at 7:03 AM, hf101 said:

If I think back over the years the only Olympic hockey games that I remember watching beyond 4 years ago was 1980. 

I'd like to see the Olympics go back to being a competition for Amateurs. This year's Olympics will give me a chance to watch future NHLers again getting an opportunity to play on a World stage.  

For the USA that means mostly College Athletes will play for the red-white-and-blue and I'm cool with that, as on a given night I can still flip the channel to watch the pros in the NHL as anyone else can.    As a fan I really dislike the NHL having to shut down for the Olympics.  No other Professional Sport shuts down mid season like this.  

Not necessarily.  AHLers that don't have NHL contracts can be loaned to the Olympic teams.  

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/ahl-hockey-olympics-nhl/

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Not necessarily.  AHLers that don't have NHL contracts can be loaned to the Olympic teams.  

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/ahl-hockey-olympics-nhl/

Right, I was aware of that when I created my post.  However, I think the major of players will come from Colleges in the US and Juniors in Canada. 

8 hours ago, hf101 said:

Right, I was aware of that when I created my post.  However, I think the major of players will come from Colleges in the US and Juniors in Canada. 

I'm not so sure that's going to happen. Teams will lose players for the WJC and then possibly the Olympics. That will have a devastating effect on their seasons.   Those programs don't pause for the world juniors or the Olympics.  

USA Hockey is going to want to field a team that is competitive. I don't believe that a team made up of college players would be competitive against a team of professionals like Sweden, Finland, or Russia.   It won't be a level playing field if they send a team full of amateur players.  And this time is not the same as 1980 when all (but one team) were amateurs. 

It really sucks if there are no NHL players.  And it does spell doom for the USA.  No medal for sure.  Its going to make hockey fare less interesting in the Olympics if this holds up.  I never thought this would happen.  

On 7/31/2017 at 6:52 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I'm not so sure that's going to happen. Teams will lose players for the WJC and then possibly the Olympics. That will have a devastating effect on their seasons.   Those programs don't pause for the world juniors or the Olympics.  

USA Hockey is going to want to field a team that is competitive. I don't believe that a team made up of college players would be competitive against a team of professionals like Sweden, Finland, or Russia.   It won't be a level playing field if they send a team full of amateur players.  And this time is not the same as 1980 when all (but one team) were amateurs. 

US players play in Canadian juniors too right?   USA Hockey  will have to rethink how it will become/remain competitive going forward, but it worked before and can work again.  

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It really sucks if there are no NHL players.  And it does spell doom for the USA.  No medal for sure.  Its going to make hockey fare less interesting in the Olympics if this holds up.  I never thought this would happen.  

And thank God it has.

It's actually going to be more interesting for me.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Rather watch Curling

lol

Yeah, this all comes down to personal preference, I think.  There's no intrinsic right or wrong.

I won't share my negative (mostly bored) view on curling because there are a LOT of people here who like it and I'm clearly in the vast minority on it.   I don't get it.  I understand there's a LOT of skill involved in it.   There's actually a lot of skill involved in auto racing, but that bores me too (I'm not comparing the two in any way other than to say that for me both have skill but both bore me).

I think curling looks like it's one of those things that would be fun to do but not much fun (for me) to watch (in this respect, it mirrors televised golf for me).  I can tell you, I'm lousy at golf and I bet I'd be lousy at curling.

EDIT:  It just occurred to me.   Were you indicating curling bores you too but that's just how much amateur hockey in the Olympics will bore you?   Fair enough, if so. Like I said, I think it all just comes down to personal preference.

@Hockey Junkie

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not going to be watching a lot of Olympic hockey (or the Olympics in general) either way.  Po-tay-toe pattatta for me in terms of interest, although for me it will be more fun to see some of the upcoming kids play in a stress-heavy event.

My interests lie solely in not shutting down the NHL mid-season.  I just really enjoy the NHL competition and hate seeing it shut down in favor of something I have near-zero interest in watching.

It's like shutting down my favorite show so the network can show some stupid NFL hall of fame game.  Or turning on CSN to watch the Flyers game and realize it's preempted yet again for a fricken Suckers...er...Sixers game.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kingpin26 said:

Ryan Malone is going to Minnesota on a PTO or AHL deal. He could be trying to get into playing shape to play for the U.S team , since he hasn't been in the NHL 2014.

Welcome.

That is an interesting move by Malone.  It seems all Malone needs is an AHL contract so he can possibly be invited to the Olympics.  I'm assuming most of team USA will be collegiate athletes and I wonder if there is a need for him?

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

Welcome.

That is an interesting move by Malone.  It seems all Malone needs is an AHL contract so he can possibly be invited to the Olympics.  I'm assuming most of team USA will be collegiate athletes and I wonder if there is a need for him?

That would be a LOT of fun, having the USA represented by the NCAA ranks! They would be able to ice a VERY competitive team. Who would be making the selections for the USA, have they announced it yet?  PLEASE....anyone but Brian Burke!! On second thought...YES PLEASE....Burke it up!!)  Passing thought...are players from the US Development Leauge available? TONS of young talent there also!

Jeebus, if Canada is represented by CIAU (Canadian Universities) we will get outright SMOKED. The very best CIAU players are kids that are cut from the OHL/CHL ranks or are no longer eligible for CHL play due to age.  UGGGGGHHHHH!!!

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

That would be a LOT of fun, having the USA represented by the NCAA ranks! They would be able to ice a VERY competitive team. Who would be making the selections for the USA, have they announced it yet?  PLEASE....anyone but Brian Burke!! On second thought...YES PLEASE....Burke it up!!)  Passing thought...are players from the US Development Leauge available? TONS of young talent there also!

Jeebus, if Canada is represented by CIAU (Canadian Universities) we will get outright SMOKED. The very best CIAU players are kids that are cut from the OHL/CHL ranks or are no longer eligible for CHL play due to age.  UGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Tony Granato from the Univ of Wisconsin will be the head coach of Team USA.  Jim Johannson was announced as the general manager and assistant coaches are Chris Chelios, Keith Allain, Ron Rolston and Scott Young.  

On players likely to make the roster see -- https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/07/22/olympics-2018-team-usa-hockey-thinks-medal-pyeongchang-nhl-players/502073001/# 

If I am a coach, GM, or owner I don't want my guys risking injury or even simply  wearing themselves out for the playoffs; because frankly a Stanley Cup means more to me than a gold medal. I actually  feel the same as a fan too.

I also probably want to watch as much if it were a bunch of amateurs, so I'm not really sure what they should do.

Can I throw out a few names of guys who a week before most camps start still haven't signed a contract or a P.T.O . They might have shot for the U.S Olympic team.

Rob Scuderi- very slow , stay at home guy. great team guy could be ok on an Olympic rink as a 6th or 7th D-man

John -Michael-Liles- decent anchor for the defense, has played a lot on the international stage for the U.S . Might not be around by February with NHL injuries.

Nate Guenin- journeyman NHL defensemen, could a good bottom pairing defensemen, better skills than most American KHL options.

Brian Gionta- could be good winger for a center like Drew Shore or a young NCAA center to clean up the garbage.

Joe Vitale - 4th line center , ok on the P.K.

Drew Miller - never a great scorer , could a good checker winger .

Coach  Granato may want to play the speed game and use younger NCAA guys but  a few of these guys could help if they don't sign in the NHL. 

I know most of these guys are past their prime but Canada is talking about Doan, Iginla and Mike Fisher. I think this a comparable list. 

Any thoughts?

15 hours ago, Kingpin26 said:

Can I throw out a few names of guys who a week before most camps start still haven't signed a contract or a P.T.O . They might have shot for the U.S Olympic team.

Rob Scuderi- very slow , stay at home guy. great team guy could be ok on an Olympic rink as a 6th or 7th D-man

John -Michael-Liles- decent anchor for the defense, has played a lot on the international stage for the U.S . Might not be around by February with NHL injuries.

Nate Guenin- journeyman NHL defensemen, could a good bottom pairing defensemen, better skills than most American KHL options.

Brian Gionta- could be good winger for a center like Drew Shore or a young NCAA center to clean up the garbage.

Joe Vitale - 4th line center , ok on the P.K.

Drew Miller - never a great scorer , could a good checker winger .

Coach  Granato may want to play the speed game and use younger NCAA guys but  a few of these guys could help if they don't sign in the NHL. 

I know most of these guys are past their prime but Canada is talking about Doan, Iginla and Mike Fisher. I think this a comparable list. 

Any thoughts?

Liles is probably a given to make the team, and Drew Miller is a good choice also. Guenin and Gionta would be my next two considerations.  I'm not a fan of Vitale or Scuderi on the roster though.

I've seen a few other mentions also for USA players playing in Europe. Brandon Kozun, Dan Sexton, Jeff Taffe, Jonathon Blum, Matt Gilroy, Mark Arcobello, Nathan Gerbe, Bobby Sanguinetti, Keith Aucoin, and Corey Potter.

However, I have to say this team sounds very boring if most of the team are players essentially not good enough to play in the NHL.  I'd rather see a team composed of mostly collegiate athletes such as Troy Terry, Jordan Greenway, Kieffer Bellows, and Ryan Donato,  Casey Mittelstadt, Josh Norris, Jake Oettinger, Keith Petruzzelli and Daniel Brickley.

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

Liles is probably a given to make the team, and Drew Miller is a good choice also. Guenin and Gionta would be my next two considerations.  I'm not a fan of Vitale or Scuderi on the roster though.

I've seen a few other mentions also for USA players playing in Europe. Brandon Kozun, Dan Sexton, Jeff Taffe, Jonathon Blum, Matt Gilroy, Mark Arcobello, Nathan Gerbe, Bobby Sanguinetti, Keith Aucoin, and Corey Potter.

However, I have to say this team sounds very boring if most of the team are players essentially not good enough to play in the NHL.  I'd rather see a team composed of mostly collegiate athletes such as Troy Terry, Jordan Greenway, Kieffer Bellows, and Ryan Donato,  Casey Mittelstadt, Josh Norris, Jake Oettinger, Keith Petruzzelli and Daniel Brickley.

I feel the same way, I'd much rather see hungry kids performing than washed up retired guys. It would be really exciting to see Ottinger get the nod in goal. Would LOVE to see Jordan Greenway playing, one of my favs, from USA or Canada. Incredible hands on that Greenway kid, has star written all over him.

The one guy I would NOT want playing on team USA would be Scuderi. His lack of speed would really stick out on the larger International sized rinks. 

Not doubt Granato will go young with the team considering how many of these guys he sees against Wisconsin. He's put a team in the Deutschland Cup in October could be a rough draft of the team minus the college guys.

Another NHL guy to watch is R.J Umberger , he didn't play at all last year and either came to Dallas for 2 reasons . One Hitchcock really likes him from his days in Philly or he's trying to get in shape for a run at the Olympic team . 

6 minutes ago, Kingpin26 said:

Another NHL guy to watch is R.J Umberger , he didn't play at all last year and either came to Dallas for 2 reasons . One Hitchcock really likes him from his days in Philly or he's trying to get in shape for a run at the Olympic team . 

Good call on Umberger, I forgot about him.

59 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Umberger, I forgot about him.

Were we all so lucky.

Seriously, if some of these washed up has-beens (and Scuderi an Umberger are poster children) are on the Olympic team they should just stop playing Olympic hockey.  I can't think there are more than 10 people in the entire world that would want to watch a tournament with such entirely worthless players (at this point in their career) as Scuderi and Umberger. More than that would only mean that one or the other or both have a large family.   Seriously, if that's the quality they're putting out there, the Olympics have become the Taco Bell of hockey.

Play the college kids and whatever juniors are available.   Leave Scuderi and Umberger for the Pinochle  team.

I'm just throwing out  some of the guys who seem to be coming out of the woodwork after years off for their one shot at an American Olympic team.  Without the NHL players only about 10 people are going to watch anyway. If your dreaming of a "Miracle on Ice 2 " great . We shall see.

Archived