Re-Signed: Ryan Johansen (8 years, $8M)

26 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

Preds have called a Press conference for 3:00 CST in which they will announce the re-signing of #1 center Ryan Johansen, more details will be posted as they become available.

3 hours ago, Honest Bender said:

exactly what I've called all summer, 8x8, great contract!

eech.  for a 60-point player?  8 million until he's 33?  i dunno.

He's 25, he's scored 60 for four years straight. He's not exactly looking back at his best years, he's looking ahead to them. 

Then look at the other factors...

The Preds waited 17 years to have a real #1 center. Poile knows the difficulty in acquiring one, so he made sure to lock up the one he has. 

This buys 7 years of UFA status, or Joey's entire NHL prime. 

It does not include any movement restrictions. If he mails it in, he can be traded. 

I'm not really sure what else there could be? Could he have signed for $7? Maybe, but that extra million really doesn't matter. The Preds are not spending to the cap because they have a ton of friendly deals signed long-term. After sending down Gaudreau and Bitetto, they still have about $5M in cap space. 

Truthfully, I'd have been okay with anything up to $8.5. Beyond that it would look a bit rough.

Turns out, not only is there not an NMC/NTC. There is also no signing bonus, and no variance in dollars from year to year. It's literally just 8x8, nothing more and nothing less. I assume that was a trade off for a few extra dollars.

4 minutes ago, Honest Bender said:

Turns out, not only is there not an NMC/NTC. There is also no signing bonus, and no variance in dollars from year to year. It's literally just 8x8, nothing more and nothing less. I assume that was a trade off for a few extra dollars.

That is probably a good assumption. Just about every other large contract has had a significant portion in signing bonuses. 

This is a good deal for the Predators and Johansen. 

On 7/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, aziz said:

eech.  for a 60-point player?  8 million until he's 33?  i dunno.

A couple of ways to look at it.

Its not 2010 anymore. What was 8 million in 2010 equals about 11 million by today's cap standards.

He got better at the end of the season when things really started to jive for him in Nashville and he found chemistry with linemates.

First 20 games: 14 points, 50.5% faceoffs

Seconds quarter: 15 points, 51.9% Faceoffs

Third Quarter: 14 points, 57.2% faceoffs

4th Quarter: 18 points, 58.4% faceoffs

I omitted the final 2 games of RS because i wanted to break it into 20 game increments. His 1st quarter was his best for PPP. But that aside

Also before his grievous injury, he was their leading Playoff scorer with 13 points in 14 games. At the end of the playoffs, Forsberg was the leading Playoff scorer for the Preds with 16 points in 22 games.

This is his 3rd contract so they are locking up as many UFA years as they can. Ill confess, 8 is a bit high, but given the market, likelyhood of a lockout looming in which a top subject will be capping contracts at 5-6 years and introducing a rollback like they did during the 2004-05 lockout....

Archived