Calgary Flames

Edanl

In this blog, I want to talk about the Calgary Flames that has a core of young players and emerging as a great team in the western conference. 

Calgary like Edmonton and Toronto have a core of young players that lead the team. Like Edmonton they are a complete team, they have a solid goaltender and defense which is what Toronto is lacking. Also, they have a great offensive weapon that can score a lot and can come from behind in the game. They can also explode on the other team like they did a couple of times, when it happens it's like they are in a different zone.

I think that Calgary has an amazing group of players that plays together and plays as a team and as one unit. They are playing great hockey, and they have incredible resilience, they don't panic if they fall behind and continue to play their game. Which in a lot of cases they manage to come back to the game and win it or force overtime.

I like the style of their game that is taking the game to the opponent zone, they are always trying to put the pressure on the opponent by that they are always pushing the puck into the offensive zone. I don't often see that they are getting pushed to their own zone for an extended period of time.

I like to see that they play with a lot of toughness in their games and in their defense. I think that the physical game that they play it helps the team to win games and this how you need to play and to succeed in this league, they don't let anyone push them around and to get easily into their own grease. They always play hard and tough, if someone tries to get into their grease and into their defensive zone they pay the price of getting hit, this is the way to play in my opinion.

Calgary has one weakness that it"s in the goaltending which is good but not good enough, as it was in the playoff that they were swept by Anaheim. They had a problem in the defense, and the goaltending wasn't good enough, he let some soft shots to go by him that evidently cost the games and the series. Their defense didn’t play good also and most of the games they were chasing after Anaheim instead of dictating the game unlike the regular season that they had great success.  Which is a problem against an elite team like Anaheim because if you let them feel comfortable, it is almost impossible to get back into the game. These are problems with the young team, and I hope that they can bounce back next year and get back to the success of the second half and do better in the playoffs next year.

In my opinion, they need to bring a better goaltender that will help them in the playoffs and another good defenseman even that they have good players on defense and overall they got great defense. There were a few calls that I thought that shouldn't have gone to them, but the defense and goaltending are what cost them the series and the playoffs.

I think that the experience that they got this playoff will help them next year and they will want to get back to the playoffs and be better. This will motivate them next year to be better, and I have faith that they will be better.

I think that Calgary is building the team in the right way on a core of young and talented players, which in my opinion is the right way for the long run. They also have veteran players that can share their experience. They need to strengthen the roster with other good players and a better goaltender, but the roster that they have is great, and they have the foundation to be a great team in the league. If they do it, I think they will have success in years to come.

Archived