Toronto off-season signings

Edanl

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

The big thing for (was mentioned earlier) is the fact that....just cause you have cap space, does not mean you have to use it. Stash it away, and when teams are close to the cap, it puts the Leafs in a position of strength in a trade situation....OR....let's you steal a young UFA the following year. 

I agree 100%.

The Leafs were in a good cap position previously. Now they've created problems for themselves again, after working so hard to unload those God-awful contracts from a few years ago.

The Leafs attitude needs to be: defenceman or nothing.  If they can't get a decent defenceman, don't blow cap space on more forwards. The correct action this off-season was to do nothing. Pass on Marleau. Pass on Hainsey. Pass on Moore. I'd bring back the exact same lineup from last season. 

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs attitude needs to be: defenceman or nothing.  If they can't get a decent defenceman, don't blow cap space on more forwards. The correct action this off-season was to do nothing. Pass on Marleau. Pass on Hainsey. Pass on Moore. I'd bring back the exact same lineup from last season. 

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. If you are going to change the line up, make it happen with prospects. Cheap but talented kids like the 2 swedish dmen,  Dermott, Kapanen etc....you add talent, make the team better and still have lots of cap space left. I think Shanny got greedy after seeing the strong outing against Wash last spring. One playoff series should never alter your plan IMHO. 

Archived