Ek rumor (e3) Sanheim and 3rd for Pacioretty

jammer2

Hey, it's early August, no hockey news to speak of....and yeah, I *know* it's Eklund and all, but would you do this deal??  As much as I like Sans, I would do this in a second. Max has size and speed, is a proven commodity. He would make the Flyers top 6 DEADLY. The loss of San's skating ability on the back end would suck...BUT if Myers is the real deal like I think he is, the Flyers have the defensive depth to handle this type of deal. Getting Max would be a BIG get for this team. Plus, maybe it makes room for Haggs....and still room to get Morin in the line up. If this is true, Hexy must do his due diligence on this, cause it is huge. 

Of course, the big question is, how would the Flyers afford Max's cap hit?  We know that Montreal management is down on both Max and Gally, for some odd reason, so I believe this has true legs. Would be interesting to see the lines with Max in a Flyers jersey. 

BTW. just checked, Max is signed to a VERY reasonable 4.5 mill a year for this coming season and the 2018-19 season, after which he becomes a UFA. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name all the 6'4" defencemen who can skate like Sanheim.  

Who disappears in the playoffs better than "Patches"?

Another guy who'll be passed his prime when our goalies and D and Patrick etc. are coming into theirs. Of course he may just bolt before that happens...

No thanks.

It's not a bad proposal...I'm just not interested in Pacioretty.

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Who disappears in the playoffs better than "Patches"?

Another guy who'll be passed his prime when our goalies and D and Patrick etc. are coming into theirs. Of course he may just bolt before that happens...

No thanks.

It's not a bad proposal...I'm just not interested in Pacioretty.

Can't  agree more. Pass!

Billl M. 2 cents:

Today @ 3:57 PM ET  
Ron Hextall will not even consider trades of this nature (at least not until such a time when he feels the team is one player away from being a prime Cup contender). He is all about adding prospects and picks, not subtracting them in trades for players in their late 20s.

Everything he has done as Flyers GM has been consistent with this oft-stated strategy.
It isn't about to change.

The Flyers are high on Oskar Lindblom and there are power forward types they like (such as Wade Allison) in the pipeline projected to be ready in the next few seasons. 

A Sanheim for Pacioretty deal isn't happening, nor has it likely even been discussed in earnest. It's also not the right fit for the Habs to be enoigh to move Pacioretty right now.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Myers?  I do get where you are coming from though, it is really a question of will Max be in his prime years when the d-men mature...and how much would it cost to resign him. I was under the impression Max was 25, he must be a bit older. Worth considering, mulling over anyways. Anytime you can acquire a top line, top unit pp guy in his prime, you have to think about it. Montreal has really mismanaged their assets. The trade away Belieau and Sergachev, now are looking to unload a top player to make up for it. Who is Drouin gonna have left to play with? 

As much as I like Patches I would half to pass. Sanheim's possible ceiling is to high for a defensemen. Plus 6'4" and can skate like the wind, yeah that is an affirmative pass.

In addition to drafting guys like Ratteclyffe and Lindblom coming over, I like the Flyers staying put.

25 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Myers?  I do get where you are coming from though, it is really a question of will Max be in his prime years when the d-men mature...and how much would it cost to resign him. I was under the impression Max was 25, he must be a bit older. Worth considering, mulling over anyways. Anytime you can acquire a top line, top unit pp guy in his prime, you have to think about it. Montreal has really mismanaged their assets. The trade away Belieau and Sergachev, now are looking to unload a top player to make up for it. Who is Drouin gonna have left to play with? 

Pacioretty is 28. he'll be 29 early into next season. Unless you consider the Flyers a cup contender in the next couple of years (I don't) this trade doesn't make much sense. It's a win now move, on a team that's building to win later.

24 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Pacioretty is 28. I'd listen a bit if it was Galchenyuk coming back, but still would probably pass on moving Sanheim.

43 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Pacioretty is 28. I'd listen a bit if it was Galchenyuk coming back, but still would probably pass on moving Sanheim.

I'd at least pause for a moment if it were Galchenyuk.

But yeah, I'm not doing this just now.   There will be time for a Johanssen for Seth Jones type move soon enough.   We're not there yet.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Why does it show that i made that comment?

FC made it however i do agree with him.

Man ya got to love how nothing but boredom then Ek dreams up a trade and wham....the boards are on fire!

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Pacioretty is 28. he'll be 29 early into next season. Unless you consider the Flyers a cup contender in the next couple of years (I don't) this trade doesn't make much sense. It's a win now move, on a team that's building to win later.

Ahhh, did not know Max was that old. The more I see the whole context of the deal, the more I don't like it. It's more of a Homer shiny new toy deal than a wise savvy Hexy deal....still, worth discussing on a boring Aug day. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why does it show that i made that comment?

FC made it however i do agree with him.

Man ya got to love how nothing but boredom then Ek dreams up a trade and wham....the boards are on fire!

Not sure why it did that with the quote. Yeah, Ek can sure drum up interest out of thin air. Plus, he's a Flyer fan, so he saves his big page turning rumors for the Flyer fan base, who flock to him on hockybuzz like ants to candy. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all that Bergevin is talking to Hexy for a d-man.  But I don't see this trade happening.

Have to give Eklund credit for coming up with a trade that musters some clicks.

18 minutes ago, scoopyten said:

The rumor really makes zero sense for either team.

For Montreal, it's assumed after the Price extension, that they view themselves as contenders. So why would they trade a 30 goal, 60 point winger on a very reasonable contract(for the short term) for a prospect defenseman, albeit one with a very high ceiling? It just doesn't jibe with where they are at. Plus, they just traded a prospect defenseman who is slightly more highly regarded than Sanheim in Sergachev for Jonathan Drouin. If they were to do this rumored moved, they end up with Drouin as a younger, but more expensive replacement for Pacioretty and Sanheim in for Sergachev. Pretty lateral, and it fails to address the hole left by Markov jumping to the KHL or filling the top line C role that the Habs really need filled(unless Galchenyuk steps up).

For the Flyers, Pacioretty does fill a need. He's a very good all around offensive winger who can score buckets of goals. He's on a great contract and it's not a massive long term deal. The trouble is, the Flyers are not a serious contender, even if they added Pacioretty for Sanheim. They are also dealing with a surplus of forwards, and adding another-even one as good as Pacioretty-jumbles that further. The biggest issue from a Flyers standpoint is future cap management, though.

In two years, the Flyers will be facing new contracts for Simmonds, Konecny, Weal & Provorov. If they added Pacioretty, his contract would be up that summer as well. The Flyers could face having to dump guys or re-entering the fun times of tap dancing on the edge of the cap just as guys like Provorov, Konency and Patrick enter their prime and will need new contracts.

Now, if the Flyers could land Pacioretty for, say Giroux or Voracek, I'd be more likely to consider it, if only for the cap freedom moving forward. Of course, Pacioretty has also shown fewer signs of decline than those two, especially Giroux(which granted may well be injury related). But I digress.

As the rumor stands, I can't see it happening. The logic doesn't seem to fit on either end.

That's just about as good a post as you're going to see.  Can't argue with any of that. 

Well said. 

Late to the party (just got home and read through all the posts).  Appreciate the discussion @jammer2 is trying to drum up on the long month of August regarding this Eklund rumor.  However..this is Ek we are talking about.  I've seen squirrels getting the right stash of acorns more often than Ek being right.   It is August and he needs the clicks ..... (as @hf101 mentioned)

@scoopyten put it best.  This simply makes no sense.  It would go against everything Hexy has been preaching about these last few years about NOT trading prospects.  This is not Homer we are talking about who would do this trade in a heartbeat.

nullimage.png

I may sound like a broken record, but I agree with the majority on this one.  Just say NO and pass.  Yeah I get that Max would fill a need but the Flyers are not quite contenders yet.  For once lets just keep our home grown prospects and see them mature.

null

22 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Hey, it's early August, no hockey news to speak of....and yeah, I *know* it's Eklund and all, but would you do this deal??  As much as I like Sans, I would do this in a second. Max has size and speed, is a proven commodity. He would make the Flyers top 6 DEADLY. The loss of San's skating ability on the back end would suck...BUT if Myers is the real deal like I think he is, the Flyers have the defensive depth to handle this type of deal. Getting Max would be a BIG get for this team. Plus, maybe it makes room for Haggs....and still room to get Morin in the line up. If this is true, Hexy must do his due diligence on this, cause it is huge. 

Of course, the big question is, how would the Flyers afford Max's cap hit?  We know that Montreal management is down on both Max and Gally, for some odd reason, so I believe this has true legs. Would be interesting to see the lines with Max in a Flyers jersey. 

BTW. just checked, Max is signed to a VERY reasonable 4.5 mill a year for this coming season and the 2018-19 season, after which he becomes a UFA. 

This would be terrible for the Flyers. 

If Giroux or Jake was involved we could talk.  But the last thing this team needs is another fwd and what they need most is D. 

They don't have this cap space anyway.  

Now (to continue to stir what else is there to do)...Ek is saying there is a 3rd team involved...

The Latest is Montreal is considering a deal with Colorado AFTER the deal with Philly...but there are so many moving parts that some in the organization are skeptical "but optimistic" that they can pull this off prior to the start of the season...

...yeah there is a 3rd team because Ron them to go f**k themselves so they called Sakic i guess!!!

But he ain't got shiiit to deal but forwards.

Whatever more click bait with ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz season among us now...

Hey I just completed a 5 team trade in my fantasy football league.  Anything can happen!

Now his close source is saying the Habs want to trade Galchenyuk but the Flyers are pushing for MPac.... sure they are Ek.

I know Sanheim has upside and potential, but I am shocked so many people would not do this trade.(Assuming it was straight up)

He may never reach his upside and potential at NHL level.

Either way, Montreal would not do this trade without significant adds on the flyers side

Archived