The Wings Opening Night Roster.....

jammer2

Really nice article I just found on Hockeywriters.  Some really nice specualtion goes on in this little gem. I like a lot of the lines, but feel Zetts with Mantha and Larkin should be the top line (assuming one of the two can play the off wing). I also think that Erickson is the guy who goes to make way for the AA signing. For sure, a member of the Wings right now will be gone to give Holland the ability to sign AA. Trading Erickson and a mid round pick for future considerations or a 7th might seem like a waste at this point, but it's necessary. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/projected-detroit-red-wings-opening-night-roster/

On 8/10/2017 at 0:28 PM, jammer2 said:

Really nice article I just found on Hockeywriters.  Some really nice specualtion goes on in this little gem. I like a lot of the lines, but feel Zetts with Mantha and Larkin should be the top line (assuming one of the two can play the off wing). I also think that Erickson is the guy who goes to make way for the AA signing. For sure, a member of the Wings right now will be gone to give Holland the ability to sign AA. Trading Erickson and a mid round pick for future considerations or a 7th might seem like a waste at this point, but it's necessary. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/projected-detroit-red-wings-opening-night-roster/

@yave1964 an I co-authored that using pseudonyms. ;-D

Very sensible plan. What is hard to understand is how the moving of Not-so-big E almost seems downright clairvoyant as compared to the vision of Holland et al these past several years. It really ISN'T clairvoyant at all. It is now absolutely necessary...which has been exactly how Holland has managed this team--not doing anything until he HAD to. Letting things just...happen...until he has been forced to make a move. And when you do that, because of the pressure to do SOMETHING, most of the time, you do the wrong thing, even when that looks like keeping the status quo.

IMHO, Holland has been relying on the talent of the team to keep the team moving forward, not wanting to take any chances...unless he HAD to, like responding to the pressure of continuing The Streak. Everything has been reactionary. Even his best move in a decade--the shedding of Datsyuk's remaining contract--was reactionary.

And the problem now is that our promising talent is now amongst the young. We are going to have to wait for it to develop and HOPE it goes as well or better than we expect the players to come along. If they do, we wait several seasons in mediocrity or worse for them to develop. OR if they don't, the heat gets turned up after a couple dismal seasons, and Holland, once again, will react, this time to try to save his job.

"I've gotta do SOMETHING!" Whenever you are thinking that as a manager in reaction to the circumstances around you, you a. Have already failed as a manager because you failed to see it coming, and b. Will be more likely to make costly mistakes because of the pressure on you to do your job.

I credit Holland for the Datsyuk move. It was necessary and a brilliant reaction that made the best of what may, perhaps, have been unforeseeable. But otherwise, there has been little if any foresight in how the team has been managed. No anticipation whatsoever. And when that is how you do things for a long time, where we are is what results. Not good. 

The buyout phase of the offseason has passed,  IMHO Holland missed the chance to get rid of big E that way and free up salary for no good reason. For the life of me I cannot understand why he was not bought out. Yes, I understand we are already paying Weiss to not play for the team and buying out another deal would be painful but Ericsson is overpaid on his best day. The best way to peel off a band aid is quickly. He has no value as an oft injured stay at home guy. 

I do like that he has added a bit of snarl to his game, unafraid to fight, mixing it up in the corners but in open ice he is too slow, his IQ does not make up for the injuries that have slowed him down. 

We do have quite a few options coming up. I believe that Jensen was a fluke last season and will be in GR by midseason but there are some decent to good prospects on the blueline ready to step in so Ericsson and sadly Kronwall need to be moved out to make room. Youth must be served. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Strange!!!!!

Whatever happened to peaceful protest??

I am thoroughly disgusted that such a distinguished and stalwart hockey image has been used in such a disrespectful manner to represent such a reprehensible group of people.

It was in the Freep that the DRWs are suing for infringement for the alteration of their logo, and I hope they win, and win BIG!

(I kinda wish they could use any winnings to bump up their salary cap, tho! ;-D)

5 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

It was in the Freep that the DRWs are suing for infringement for the alteration of their logo, and I hope they win, and win BIG!

How do you sue 25 drop outs who still live in Mommy's basement?

8 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

I am thoroughly disgusted that such a distinguished and stalwart hockey image has been used in such a disrespectful manner to represent such a reprehensible group of people.

(I kinda wish they could use any winnings to bump up their salary cap, tho! ;-D)

I know right, whatever happened to those few years where these turds were completely irrelevant... And by turds, I mean the crazy ass racists..    Don't get me wrong, I know they didn't go away, but for a while there, I think society didn't tolerate them...   Unfortunately I think peoples frustration with immigration and such has boiled over, and they aren't sure how to voice their displeasure besides hooking up with these radical hate groups.  I know bias is alive and well here in the U.S., but I also think the majority of people with that bias wouldn't want to inflict death or destruction on those they dislike or feel are encroaching on their space maybe?  

Archived