Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

thenewestlights

Crosby Better Than Gretzky?

Trefilov22    9
On 8/10/2017 at 1:29 PM, flyercanuck said:

Gretzky would have seasons where he'd have more assists than the 2nd place guy would have points. Then you throw on his 50-60-70-80-92 goals on top!  

Crosby is currently the best player in the league...but he's never come close to dominating the way Gretzky did.

I can't believe you even had to post this argument for that!

Trefilov22    9
On 8/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

This doesn't even deserve consideration.

The only guys that can remotely be considered in Gretzky's stratosphere are Orr, Howe and Lemieux. And even they are decidedly behind

Agreed

Trefilov22    9
On 8/11/2017 at 3:26 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Grange is a pretty smart cookie. He makes an excellent point: Crosby plays with two dead-weight wingers. Gretzky played with two of the greatest wingers of all time. In terms of team depth, there's no comparison. The Oilers were stacked. The modern day "dynasty" (snicker) Penguins crushed by modern day cap restrictions would lose 4-0 if they ran into that Oilers team. They wouldn't be able to match any of the Oilers lines talent for talent. 

Crosby would need to have Karlsson feeding him the puck, with Ovechkin on his wing, and then he'd be playing with the kind of talent that Gretzky had on his line (at least for one line only). :)

Ovechkin maybe ten years ago.  Ovechkin now?  Not so much....

• Like 1

WordsOfWisdom    819
12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't agree with this at all.

You're talking about a generational talent with all this talent now in modern times #1 overall and the talent back then no where as good and neither of them went #1 overall.

Yzerman went 4th and Sakic went 15th to me great players but no where in the same class as Crosby.

I'm cool not agreeing like Sid or not he is the best thing to come out in forever.

Now i think Mcdavid has a chance to be as good if not better than he i guess we'll see.

I guess my only gripe with Crosby has been the lack of goal scoring. He has chosen to be more of a Joe Thornton/Adam Oates type of player for most of his career. To be in that "top tier" of all time, you have to be the best goal scorer in the NHL during your time because goals are the most important thing in hockey.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe -- all of those guys were clear #1's when it came to scoring. Crosby has always been one of a group of top scorers but always far behind players like Ovechkin. 

If you compare, Gretzky could outscore the Ovechkin's of his time and also put up more assists than anybody else. You make a good point though. Maybe Crosby is above the Sakic's and Yzerman's but I don't think he dominates the league like Gretzky or Lemieux did. Nobody does. Maybe McDavid will be that guy. :)