Why no Canadian NHL team will win the cup

Fanboy

On 8/24/2017 at 1:09 PM, thenewestlights said:

Indeed they often have. And it sucks. It's a big reason why I stopped watching 

pro basketball for so long: couldn't believe the kinds of ref favors that 

Jordan, Barkley, and others were getting. Then came new heights of flopping, 

simulation, and exaggeration--& it was a good ten or fifteen years before 

professional hoops got tolerable again. 

I'm a huge baseball fan but haven't heard that particular story. 

:toast:

I don't think NBA officials call traveling on anyone let alone Jordan, Barkely, et al.

I just get frustrated (annoyed?) with all the weeping and gnashing of teeth (not you per se) about star players getting calls. Like it is something new to sports. Any sport. Like the rules have been applied equally for over a century and all of a sudden it was NHL officials who started to buck that trend for say....Sidney Crosby... (:VeryCool:) because Gary Bettman told them to.  

On 9/5/2017 at 0:45 PM, B21 said:

I don't think NBA officials call traveling on anyone let alone Jordan, Barkely, et al.

I just get frustrated (annoyed?) with all the weeping and gnashing of teeth (not you per se) about star players getting calls. Like it is something new to sports. Any sport. Like the rules have been applied equally for over a century and all of a sudden it was NHL officials who started to buck that trend for say....Sidney Crosby... (:VeryCool:) because Gary Bettman told them to.  

Imagine if refs started calling Isaiah Thomas for carrying the ball! The guy might go 

from a leading scorer to a leading benchwarmer! :crazysmile:

Some folks who take that view you talk about are often irrational tribalists for their team. 

They whine that X rival team or X superstar always gets every call or never gets called for

anything; but if someone on their precious team commits an obvious infraction--say

jamming a hockey stick in a guy's right ear until it came out his left one :lol: --they argue

the stick recipient should've been called for interference because he

let his head get in the way. 

Superstar treatment, the fact of it, the appearance of it, the whatever etc. of it--of course, 

as you've pointed out, isn't new. I just want the refs calling things consistently, to quit 

swallowing their whistles during obvious penalties. As much as I like the LA Kings and 

want them to do well, I would never celebrate the refs missing or ignoring or whatever 

a clear no-no. If a King player skates up and down the ice, twirling on his index finger a 

Duck :ducks_color: , Coyote :coyotes: , Flame :flames: , Oiler :oilers: , Shark :sharks: , Canuck :canucks: , or Knight :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm::) --

not only do I want something called, but I want the coach to shake that fool by his jersey 

for breaking formation like that which led to unnecessary odd-man rushes! :D 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:56 AM, thenewestlights said:

Some folks who take that view you talk about are often irrational tribalists for their team. 

They whine that X rival team or X superstar always gets every call or never gets called for

anything; but if someone on their precious team commits an obvious infraction--say

jamming a hockey stick in a guy's right ear until it came out his left one :lol: --they argue

the stick recipient should've been called for interference because he

let his head get in the way. 

You mean....Flyers fans? :VeryCool: (I kid! I kid!)

On 9/7/2017 at 3:56 AM, thenewestlights said:

Superstar treatment, the fact of it, the appearance of it, the whatever etc. of it--of course, 

as you've pointed out, isn't new. I just want the refs calling things consistently, to quit 

swallowing their whistles during obvious penalties. As much as I like the LA Kings and 

want them to do well, I would never celebrate the refs missing or ignoring or whatever 

a clear no-no. If a King player skates up and down the ice, twirling on his index finger a 

Duck :ducks_color: , Coyote :coyotes: , Flame :flames: , Oiler :oilers: , Shark :sharks: , Canuck :canucks: , or Knight :59474cfb820e2_GoldenKnightssm::) --

not only do I want something called, but I want the coach to shake that fool by his jersey 

for breaking formation like that which led to unnecessary odd-man rushes! :D 

See - I think the refs are consistent here for the most part. They consistently give preferential treatment to star players. They consistently bury the whistle late in games. They consistently try to screw the Flyers:haha2:

On 8/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not think any team in Canada is currently good enough.  I suppose Edmonton would be the closest?   Calgary perhaps a live longshot?  But a real long shot indeed.  Montreal I believe is in for a long season.  Not sure how much better the Leafs will be but I have to believe they might be better than Montreal.   Vancouver is in rebuild, or at least they should be.  I am surprised nothing was done about the Sedin's?  Maybe Winnipeg will surprise us?  They could be better than we expect?

:hehe: Has Winnipeg ever surprised anyone?  :63:

My report on the Canadian teams:

• Vancouver - SUCKS
  • Calgary - playoff team
  • Edmonton - playoff team
  • Winnipeg - SUCKS
  • Toronto - BORDERLINE... but will miss playoffs due to injuries, sophomore slumps, and tougher competition
  • Ottawa - SUCKS (they follow a saw-tooth pattern in team performance and this will be a down year for them)
  • Montreal - Loads of turnover on this team. They likely make the playoffs but nothing more than that.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:41 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

:hehe: Has Winnipeg ever surprised anyone?  :63:

My report on the Canadian teams:

• Vancouver - SUCKS
  • Calgary - playoff team
  • Edmonton - playoff team
  • Winnipeg - SUCKS
  • Toronto - BORDERLINE... but will miss playoffs due to injuries, sophomore slumps, and tougher competition
  • Ottawa - SUCKS (they follow a saw-tooth pattern in team performance and this will be a down year for them)
  • Montreal - Loads of turnover on this team. They likely make the playoffs but nothing more than that.

Didn't know about Maple Leaf injuries. 

Who's gonna be hurt longterm on that team? 

P.S. Montreal and Washington have been the Canadian and statesian parallels for 

each other respectively. :P 

On 8/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, B21 said:

No excuse. I'd be willing to bet that of the 16 teams in the playoffs the Senators average ticket price was probably somewhere in the middle. It's not like Melnyk and the Senators are the only team who bumps costs of tickets and parking in the post seasons.

It's the NHL playoffs. In a Canadian city. Sell out. Every time.

I thought every team bumped their prices for playoffs?  I know for sure in baseball that they do.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, thenewestlights said:

P.S. Montreal and Washington have been the Canadian and statesian parallels for 

each other respectively. :P 

Ya know it's weird. There has never been a season since I started watching hockey where I thought Montreal was going to win the Cup. They're not even in Washington's shoes. (They aspire to be the Caps lol.) The Capitals enter the playoffs as the favourites and then disappoint. Montreal is always just one of the top 8 and never makes any noise once the playoffs start. :)

On 9/12/2017 at 8:33 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Last season the Leafs were lucky to remain injury free. This year I'm guessing they will get bit by the injury bug. :(

Gosh. I hope not.  

I hope they make the playoffs and do so in good physical shape. 

I enjoyed watching them this last time! 

:mapleleafs: :bluehockey: 

Teams like them and Edmonton are great to watch because they 

have wicked speed. 

:D

On 9/13/2017 at 6:02 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Ya know it's weird. There has never been a season since I started watching hockey where I thought Montreal was going to win the Cup. They're not even in Washington's shoes. (They aspire to be the Caps lol.) The Capitals enter the playoffs as the favourites and then disappoint. Montreal is always just one of the top 8 and never makes any noise once the playoffs start. :)

Yeah you're right about how they aren't exact parallels. And I dug your crack about 

the Habs aspiring to be the Caps. :lol: I was thinking along the lines that both teams 

in recent years have had good or great regular seasons, gone into the playoffs with 

big promise, big expectations, but finished more kaput than Kapow! Plus I needed a 

:canada: and :salute: connection as best could be had. :)    

Washington, especially, has got to be wondering what they need to do to win the Cup 

given how good their lineup's been for the last couple few years. :capitals: :bonkingheadonwall: 

I wonder how many times Coach has gone :rage: during or after series losses in the 

making.    

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chris Mihailoff said:

The Leafs will hopefully win sometime this century.

Completely non-biased though, I think Edmonton has a great chance to win the cup with the young roster they are building. McDavid is a star.

Hey Chris...! :welcome: to Hockey Forums dot Net. 

I don't know if Toronto could survive as a city should the :mapleleafs:

Leafs not win their next Cup well before this century ends. :lol: 

I agree about Edmonton :oilers:. Based on what I've watched and 

studied thus far about Canadian teams, methinks they'll be 

the next Canadian squad to win a Cup. Their loss to Anaheim 

last time around sees them returning to the postseason this 

year with a fury, a focus, and a maturity advancing them

to at least the conference finals. 

I think it'd be great for them and Toronto to meet up in a Cup final 

within a couple years. My only concern would be the morale for 

Leaf Nation should the Oils win. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 3:19 PM, thenewestlights said:

I think it'd be great for them and Toronto to meet up in a Cup final 

within a couple years. My only concern would be the morale for 

Leaf Nation should the Oils win. 

If the Leafs could ever get to the final, I think the entire world would be Leafs Nation. It would be like it was with the Cubs. Leafs would have so much momentum that I can't picture any team having a chance against them in the final. :)

I can't find any stats on this (because it's impossible to search for) but the Leafs record for most team points in a season is 103 points set back in 2003-04. I'm trying to figure out if that's the lowest max point total by any team in the NHL. 

If you think about it, most playoff teams today average around 100 points in a season.  :)

All the Leafs would have to do is get good (back to "final four" quality good again) and they should be able to beat their franchise record point total year after year after year with no problem whatsoever. It's such low hanging fruit. 

Archived