Stanley Cup Odds for 2017-18

Howie58

Greetings:

I wanted to break up the summer doldrums with this post.  Here are the odds for the Cup:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/19609036/nhl-latest-2017-18-nhl-season-2018-stanley-cup-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

I don't see a surprise with a Pittsburgh "Three-Peat."  But installing the Oilers as runner-up suggest a real blossoming of young talent.  Nashville's runner-up this year may be viewed as a fluke. Columbus' standing seems a bit low.

Our stance is where you'd expect--a kind of lower-mid tier.  I hope the pundits are wrong but wouldn't be surprised if they're right, especially if we are off to a bad start due to line juggling and rough initial schedule.

The effective "tiering" of teams into what appears to four groups is an interesting comment on parity.  Yeah--there are cellar-dwellers at 200-1.  But all in, this is a far cry from the days when 4-5 teams were odds-on and everyone else was off the screen.  

Food for thought!

Howie

The Jackets did add more firepower with Panarin, but they still rely heavily on Bobrovsky. As great as Bob's been in the regular season-and let's face it, he's been dominant-for whatever reasons, he has been a lot more prone to weak goals in the playoffs.

Still it's really hard to discount a guy that can literally carry a team like Bob has shown he can. But I think his past PO work hurts the Jackets odds.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

All that is subject to change once we see the teams play.

40-1 are good odds to start with for Philly...

I'd be interested to see the same list from this time last season to compare.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived