Flyers System Ranked #1

King Knut

By one guy anyway.

I don't dare pay for something as useless as ESPN insider, so I can't read the whole thing, but this guy loves the Flyers Farm system.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/20340430/nhl-ranking-prospect-pipelines-all-31-teams-heading-2017-18-season

and yes I know there's a thread on this question, but I figured this deserved a headline of it's own.

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

By one guy anyway.

I don't dare pay for something as useless as ESPN insider, so I can't read the whole thing, but this guy loves the Flyers Farm system.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/20340430/nhl-ranking-prospect-pipelines-all-31-teams-heading-2017-18-season

and yes I know there's a thread on this question, but I figured this deserved a headline of it's own.

"The Flyers don't have as much game-breaking talent as our No. 2 team (Coyotes) does at the top of their system," Pronman writes, "but 2017 No. 2 overall pick Nolan Patrick is right up there; after Patrick, the Flyers have the cupboards lined with talent at every position."

I call horseshat!!!

No way Yotes have more "game breaking" than Flyers.....can't agree here....yet he ranks them #1. Dude is a hack!

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

"The Flyers don't have as much game-breaking talent as our No. 2 team (Coyotes) does at the top of their system," Pronman writes, "but 2017 No. 2 overall pick Nolan Patrick is right up there; after Patrick, the Flyers have the cupboards lined with talent at every position."

I call horseshat!!!

No way Yotes have more "game breaking" than Flyers.....can't agree here....yet he ranks them #1. Dude is a hack!

I can't disagree with you.  Chances are good the Coyotes have a single player he likes a lot.  My guess is it's Cousins.  Maybe Rinaldo.  

1. Philadelphia Flyers
Previous rank: 6

The Flyers don't have as much game-breaking talent as our No. 2 team does at the top of their system, but 2017 No. 2 overall pick Nolan Patrickis right up there; after Patrick, the Flyers have the cupboards lined with talent at every position. The group includes solid first-round picks, middle-round selections who have trended up, and an undrafted free agent in Philippe Myers who is one of the very best defense prospects in hockey. Not too long ago, the Flyers' farm system was a laughingstock, with C-grade college free agents making it into their top five. Today, they are in the best position of any NHL team in terms of adding young premium players to their roster.

26 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Ummm, thanks?  I can see that much of the article when I click the link.  Theres only 30 teams missing from the rankings now!

That's how ESPN insider works. They give you the first paragraph and then want you to pay to view the rest. I believe it is a membership that allows you to view all the "insider" articles.

It is nice to have accolades that support what Hextall is building within the organ-eye-zation but the meat and potatoes of this master plan is how these prospects develop into NHL players.   Having a solid pipeline of young prospects can only help but these kids have still not proven anything when it comes to being good NHLers.   I believe we know what we have in Provorov and believe he will be the #1 for this club for many years.   TK will only get better as well.   Ghost had a phenomenal rookie year but I suspect he will not be playing at that level again.   Patrick, I believe, will be another "sure thing" when it comes to the prospect list....     time will tell but it is darn exciting to have a pipeline with a lot of upside.

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

It is nice to have accolades that support what Hextall is building within the organ-eye-zation but the meat and potatoes of this master plan is how these prospects develop into NHL players.   Having a solid pipeline of young prospects can only help but these kids have still not proven anything when it comes to being good NHLers.   I believe we know what we have in Provorov and believe he will be the #1 for this club for many years.   TK will only get better as well.   Ghost had a phenomenal rookie year but I suspect he will not be playing at that level again.   Patrick, I believe, will be another "sure thing" when it comes to the prospect list....     time will tell but it is darn exciting to have a pipeline with a lot of upside.

All true. That said, the sheer number of high end prospects is a very good sign. Sure, the likelihood of them all becoming solid NHLers is not great, but the more such chances we have at developing such skilled players, the more likely the system will start getting some of them right.

This isn't the first publication to rank the Flyers stable at the top. I've read a few different such rankings now, and we're always slotted somewhere in the top three. This is baffling to me, as I can't remember the last time this would have been the case.

On the topic of Ghost: I have a feeling he's in line for a very solid bounce back season. Bank it. :P

6 hours ago, murraycraven said:

There's something that was never said during the Holmgren years, "The Flyers have a solid pipeline of young prospects". I guess Hexie learn a lot from Lombardi on how to build a contending team, so we as Flyers fans have to wait and see if it all works out and leads us to the promise land!

Go to show you this guy doesn't really know what he is talking about...

PLAYER, POSITION

OVERALL RANK 2017-18

TEAM Top 10

1. Nolan Patrick C (5)9/19/986′ 2″198Philadelphia (NHL)

2. Philippe Myers D (28)1/25/976′ 5″209Lehigh Valley (AHL)

3. Oskar Lindblom LW (64)8/15/966′ 2″196Lehigh Valley (AHL)

4. Travis Sanheim D (69)3/29/966′ 4″201Lehigh Valley (AHL)

5. German Rubtsov C (HM)6/27/986′ 0″187Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

6. Carter Hart G (G4)8/13/986′ 2″181Everett (WHL)

7. Matthew StromeLW (N/A)1/06/996′ 3.75″206Hamilton (OHL)

8. Mikhail Vorobyov C (N/A)1/05/976′ 2″207Lehigh Valley (AHL)

9. Morgan Frost C (N/A)5/14/995′ 11.25″170Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

10. Felix Sandstrom G (G10)1/12/976′ 2″194Brynas (SHL)

Strome here at #7??? And no Ratcliffe or Allison...i don't trust anything he says.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

PLAYER, POSITION

OVERALL RANK 2017-18

TEAM Top 10

Strome here at #7??? And no Ratcliffe or Allison...i don't trust anything he says.

Strome has high end hockey sense and skill...he just can't skate. 

Apparently, that's important in hockey. 

I could see someone who thinks the skating is correctable (it's really bad) considering him a good talent. I'm with you.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Strome has high end hockey sense and skill...he just can't skate. 

Apparently, that's important in hockey. 

I could see someone who thinks the skating is correctable (it's really bad) considering him a good talent. I'm with you.

Yeah well Couturier fixed his skating issue why can't he......right! :BlahBlahBlahSign:

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

PLAYER, POSITION

OVERALL RANK 2017-18

TEAM Top 10

Well, to be fair, I don't think I would have Ratcliffe or Allison on that list either. That's not knocking either of them, it's just that everyone else on that list has a pretty solid chance of cracking the NHL. Ratcliffe and Allison -may- do so in some capacity, but I wouldn't consider them as likely to do so as the others on that list.

Well, I say that, Frost does still have a ton to prove as well. I feel like he's currently riding high because he's such a recent acquisition. Unlike Patrick, I'm not sure we'll really have a good handle on him for a year or two yet.

Still, I would go back to the fact numbers 1-6(!) on that list should prove to be above-average to possibly elite NHL players. That's pretty amazing to me. Not too many teams have stables like that, which goes a long way to explaining why the writers are singing Hexy's praises with these rankings.

And that of course this is a list of 100% prospects. In reality, Provo and TK are right there with this crew as far as core team building goes, and I do think Gostisbehere is going to bounce back nicely as well. This list also makes no mention of Hagg or Morin, who could have been slotted in the bottom portion fairly easily. That's a hell of a pool imo.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Well, to be fair, I don't think I would have Ratcliffe or Allison on that list either. That's not knocking either of them, it's just that everyone else on that list has a pretty solid chance of cracking the NHL

What how do you figure???

There is a reason they were both 2nd round picks and a reason Strome was 4th.

Who else would you put in the top 10 besides them???

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

What how do you figure???

There is a reason they were both 2nd round picks and a reason Strome was 4th.

Who else would you put in the top 10 besides them???

I think we could essentially swap any of Ratcliffe, Allison, Frost, Morin, Sandstrom, Strome, and Vorobyov and put them all somewhere in the bottom portion of that list. At that point, it's probably just a subjective call based on the person doing the ranking. Personally, I would have Vorobyov and Sandstrom higher on the list. I would also likely be adding at least Morin, whom I think has a skillset that remains too often overlooked. Still, I can totally understand why the person who made the list wrote it the way they did, just as I would totally understand the inclusion of Ratcliffe and Allison.

All of that really only serve to further the main point of the thread. This is a remarkably talented pool.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

@elmatus

And also not to rip the guy but both Allison and Ratcliffe have way higher ceilings than #8 Vorobyev who has scored a whopping 5 goals in two season in the KHL.

Fair enough. There's still plenty of time between now and contention. Not of those prospects will pan out of course, and I think it's hard to tell which of the bottom bunch will be part of any potential contender down the road. I admittedly have only watched Vorobyev during the last WJs, but he was very very good there. Whether that translates to NA hockey is always the question with russians in particular.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Fair enough. There's still plenty of time between now and contention. Not of those prospects will pan out of course, and I think it's hard to tell which of the bottom bunch will be part of any potential contender down the road. I admittedly have only watched Vorobyev during the last WJs, but he was very very good there. Whether that translates to NA hockey is always the question with russians in particular.

I think they all have a chance to be good if they put the work in and are not rushed.

Plus they have different skillsets Allison is the power forward sniper they will need in a few years and Vorobyev is more of a set up guy....all are needed within a team....it is just the roll of the dice all prospects face....will they get there.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Bertmega said:

Image result for best farm system trophy

We won something. YAY!!!!

At least it's not just us talking to ourselves saying, "well at least we've got a great farm system with a lot of kids coming up soon".  

Terrifyingly, it feels a bit like last year when the Reading Phillies were so good and some opposing coaches were saying that the All Star Game should just be the rest of the league's all stars vs. the Reading Phillies.  

Hasn't quite worked out yet.  

Though on the bright side, the Flyers have a few more pieces in place at the pro level than the Phillies do... did... oh boy the Phillies are terrible.

21 hours ago, elmatus said:

All true. That said, the sheer number of high end prospects is a very good sign. Sure, the likelihood of them all becoming solid NHLers is not great, but the more such chances we have at developing such skilled players, the more likely the system will start getting some of them right.

This isn't the first publication to rank the Flyers stable at the top. I've read a few different such rankings now, and we're always slotted somewhere in the top three. This is baffling to me, as I can't remember the last time this would have been the case.

On the topic of Ghost: I have a feeling he's in line for a very solid bounce back season. Bank it. :P

All true as well :cheers:

Looking at the pipeline it is really hard not to get excited about the prospects.  I guess I am in the same camp as @radoran these days where now I want to see it come to fruition.   I have no doubts that it will but I still have reservations in respects to Hakstol.  I think one of the most underrated story-lines of the upcoming season is Hakstol.   Albeit, it is much easier to coach a team that has legitimate NHL talent - LOL.

Really nothing not to be excited about these days.  I still think they are a bubble playoff team but it would not shock me at all if they slipped into the playoffs.   All I want to see is progression from the Team's play and the Coaching Staff.   

And I agree Ghost bounces back.   There is way too much talent there for him not to and his injury, in my opinion (like G), was the issue last year.   I don't think he can statistically rebound to his rookie season but not many players can play at that level year in and year out.   

I wish the season would start today!

Archived