Upper / Lower Body Injuries: Time to rid the league of this nonsense

WordsOfWisdom

At least for the regular season, should NHL clubs be forced to accurately report the nature of their player's injuries?

Look, the players that are injured are going to be sitting out until they're healed. They won't be playing through injury during regular season games. This isn't putting the player's life at risk by specifying their injury. I'm sure the opposition knows where the player got hurt. The replay tells the whole story anyway. 

A specific injury report simply updates people who didn't watch the game. Saying "upper" or "lower" body injury is just insane. 

:)

• 9 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:21 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

A specific injury report simply updates people who didn't watch the game. Saying "upper" or "lower" body injury is just insane. 

I think it mostly has to do with the NHL trying to cover up the issues with concussions it is easier to hide and looks worse with the concussion numbers when they have to list them as such...check out out carbomb's issue...

...terrible stuff here...

This stuff is real and i feel for the players and what they face once they hang it up...

(shrugs)  I've been following Daniel Carcillo since his junior days with the Mississauga Ice Dogs.  I have a hard time feeling too bad for professional athletes.  Even a player like Carcillo who was a role player, made millions of dollars to play hockey.  Carcillo had some ability, he could've tried to simply play hockey but he always chose to be an agitator.  When you play that way, you're going to invite hits and probably fights.  He's talking about saving his brain and then blames the league for withholding information.  Oh ok...but is that really an excuse anymore?  

Information and studies have been accumulating over time on sports; and especially contact sports.  I'm a football coach, we talk about concussions all of the time.  However, any player suiting up...accepts a degree of risk.  I'd say the same to any hockey player.  You CHOOSE to play the game.  You CHOOSE to accept the risks.  But instead we are being asked to give them the benefit of hindsight after they made their choice.  Anyone can access this information and there are studies that will fit just about any conclusion someone wishes to make; both for and against on the issue of head trauma.  

He is fortunate that he has the resources to get treated.  Many don't.  But he CHOSE to play the game and he played it in such a way to put himself at greater risk.  Why?  Because he probably realized, he wouldn't be in the league playing it safe.  IMO, he needs to own some of that.  While he stated it...we all know where this is going.  He didn't say these things when he was playing.  He didn't ask these questions when he was playing, making big $$$.  But he's doing it now.  

The upper body / lower body type of statements were put in place BECAUSE of guys like Daniel Carcillo.  Guys who if they knew they had a wrist injury would try to hack at it more to take those players out.  The reason those statements are there is because there isn't a lot of honor left in the league.  But we're supposed to feel bad about the dirty player?!?!  Its a crappy road...but its one he made for himself.  

On 8/17/2017 at 9:21 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

At least for the regular season, should NHL clubs be forced to accurately report the nature of their player's injuries?

Look, the players that are injured are going to be sitting out until they're healed. They won't be playing through injury during regular season games. This isn't putting the player's life at risk by specifying their injury. I'm sure the opposition knows where the player got hurt. The replay tells the whole story anyway. 

:)

Forced by who? Who cares? Why do we need to know?

Not speaking on behalf of other teams but in recent years Minnesota Wild players don't even disclose some of their injuries to the team (in general) or their coaches. To me that's just wrong. To a good degree a player might be able to play through certain nagging injuries and such, but overall it's detrimental to the team.

Sometimes it seems the league fights with itself trying to put a better product on the ice each and every game, but then they let the players (or players union) dictate who's really in control of their final product... So to speak. This is an area I always thought was ridiculous. I mean, there's hipaa laws and all that people must adhere to, but not the NFL? I'm bringing up the NFL because there's not even a hangnail that goes undetected or not disclosed.

I think the NHL is doing themselves a disservice by not forcing players to disclose injuries. It borders on who's really running the league?

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2018 at 2:54 PM, AJgoal said:

Forced by who? Who cares? Why do we need to know?

1. Forced by the league.
  2. I care.  :)
  3. I'd like to know what injuries these players are encountering and how long they're out for. 

Imagine being a parent putting your kid into a sport. Wouldn't you like to know the sorts of injuries that professionals receive?

Why would the league allow teams to hide the injuries unless they're ashamed/embarrassed about the types of injuries that are occurring?  Maybe there are far more concussions occurring than are being reported for example. Every time a player goes down for a few days, maybe it's because they're dealing with concussion symptoms and not just a sore back or shoulder. Who knows?

On 6/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

The upper body / lower body type of statements were put in place BECAUSE of guys like Daniel Carcillo.  Guys who if they knew they had a wrist injury would try to hack at it more to take those players out.  The reason those statements are there is because there isn't a lot of honor left in the league.  But we're supposed to feel bad about the dirty player?!?!  Its a crappy road...but its one he made for himself.  

This^

Why would I want the Dan Carcillos  of the league to know my star player has a sore knee? So they can hack him there every chance they get?

I wrote on this subject a few years ago that if a player were decapitated in a tragic car accident the team would report it by saying he is out indefinitely with an upper body injury...….

Archived