15 Teams that Won't Make the Playoffs in 2018

hf101

According to the Hockey News - These are the 15 teams that won't make the playoffs in 2018.

1. Vegas Golden Knights -  yeah a no brainer here.  Can they win 20 games this season?

2.  Vancouver Canucks - no one is going to trade for the Sedins or Erickson.  They will be bottom dwellers for several more years.

3. New Jersey Devils - I think the Devils will be better than the 3rd worst in the League however the Zajac injury will likely set them off to a slow start.

4. Colorado Avalanche - Sakic deserves the worst GM in the League award.  I see this team finishing just behind the Knights.

5. Arizona Coyotes -  I think the Yotes will be better also than the bottom 5.  As their young core of forwards will provide a significant spark to this team.

6. Detroit Red Wings - I'd move the Wings to the bottom 5.  

7.  Buffalo Sabres - If the Sabres stay healthy they will be in the mix to make the playoffs - thus I disagree that the Sabres are the 7th worst team.

8. Panthers - I have no idea what to make of this team other than agree with them not making the playoffs.  

9.  New York Islanders - It's time to fire Garth Snow.  

10. Philadelphia Flyers - The make or break of this team will be between the pipes - I think they can be an 8th seed.

11. Boston Bruins - Interesting, Interesting ... The hockey news could be right on this one, but maybe last year was their off year?

12.  Winnipeg Jets - I think the Jets will make the playoffs if the Blackhawks or Wild struggle. The central division will be the toughest division next season.

13.  Toronto Maple Leafs -  were they over achievers last year?  I think the THN has it wrong and they again return to the playoffs. 

14.  Los Angeles Kings - I don't think John Stevens has enough to work with to make this a playoff team this season.

15.  San Jose Sharks - Shocker, but I agree with THN.

The teams I think THN missed on are the Senators as they over achieved last season I would place Toronto ahead of them.  I also don't think the Canadiens make the playoffs giving a birth to the Sabres or Bruins.

THN has the Hurricanes making the playoffs -- is that the Justin Williams factor?  I think it will between the Hurricanes and Flyers for that 8th seed.

I agree with:

• Canucks
  • Devils
  • Avalanche
  • Coyotes
  • Red Wings
  • Panthers
  • Jets
  • Leafs (one step back in 2018 before taking a leap forward in 2019)
  • (and the team that I refuse to acknowledge the existence of)

Flyers are likely back in.

Bruins never miss the playoffs, so they're in. I can see them winning the division... just because everyone else sucks.

Sabres are due for a huge climb.

:)

I don't know that I'm betting against, or that anyone should be betting against, 

the Leafs. :mapleleafs: They pushed the Caps :capitals: to six games in the playoffs, most of them 

overtime rumbles, and the Capitals are damned lucky the series didn't go to 

seven, that they didn't lose. I could be wrong but I actually see Toronto in ascension, 

returning to the playoffs, going one round farther, and perhaps meeting up in

an allCanadian Stanley Cup Final against Edmonton :oilers: circa 2019ish. That 

current crop o' Torontonians = young, fast, and dangerous. :bluehockey:  

:kings: Of course the Kings make the playoffs this next season! Because they're on the 

every-other-year program :D : Cup champs in 2014 :stanleycup:, embarrassing meltdown to 

miss the 2015 playoffs :console: , return to the playoffs in 2016 :ouch:[Ed. note: artist rendering

of what the Sharks did to LA], and not quite getting the job done to wind down the regular season

here in 2017. 

More seriously about LA's chances: in addition to the possible dearth of personnel for

new coach Stevens already mentioned by our very own @hf101 , I wonder if the team

can make the postseason even if they do have the people: because there's all this talk

about new coach, new system--but will a year's time be sufficient to achieve

a playoff return that way? And are the right players there to take on and succeed with an 

overhauled organization & approach? I'm still leaning toward writing a team season preview, so I'll 
know better after digging into more details what I really feel about the Kings

making or not making the CupRun cut next time

On 8/20/2017 at 0:29 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I agree with:

• Canucks
  • Devils
  • Avalanche
  • Coyotes
  • Red Wings
  • Panthers
  • Jets
  • Leafs (one step back in 2018 before taking a leap forward in 2019)
  • (and the team that I refuse to acknowledge the existence of)

Flyers are likely back in.

Bruins never miss the playoffs, so they're in. I can see them winning the division... just because everyone else sucks.

Sabres are due for a huge climb.

:)

I do not know how things will unfold, but the Sabres are going to get better.  And I say on paper they are better than Montreal right now.  And I think they will prove it on the ice.  I am not saying that translates into a playoff berth.  It may take one more year or maybe they will surprise?  The goaltending is a problem.  The defense is a work in progress.    If healthy I think they can produce enough offense to be competitive.  But Chad Johnson I have more faith in than Lehner.  And Chad Johnson, in comparison to past Sabres, is no Ryan Miller.

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not know how things will unfold, but the Sabres are going to get better.  And I say on paper they are better than Montreal right now.  And I think they will prove it on the ice.  I am not saying that translates into a playoff berth.  It may take one more year or maybe they will surprise?  The goaltending is a problem.  The defense is a work in progress.    If healthy I think they can produce enough offense to be competitive.  But Chad Johnson I have more faith in than Lehner.  And Chad Johnson, in comparison to past Sabres, is no Ryan Miller.

:pleasestopnow:

I think Sabres are in and Leafs miss this season. Sens will also miss and Lightning will be back in.  :IDunnoSmiley:

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

:pleasestopnow:

I think Sabres are in and Leafs miss this season. Sens will also miss and Lightning will be back in.  :IDunnoSmiley:

I sure love what you just posted.  I hope you are right.  i cannot stand Ottawa for one thing.  But I must pay my respects to an old enemy of ours that lost his battle with that deadly disease that has taken far too many people.  Murray will always be remembered as a true hockey guy and gave us all we could handle.  Prayers are with your family, Tim included.  

I sure hope the Sabres can get in.  i think Montreal has made a real mess of their off season.  We shall see.  If I were Price I would not be very happy.  The Sabres on paper have plenty of offense.  Ristolainen is going to be a household name in this league for years IMO>  He has the potential to be one heck of a two way defenseman.  Already has shown his awesome ability.  He will log more ice time than any Sabre.  I do not think the Sabres have had a guy on the blue line with his skill, ever.  King Kong Korab and Jimmy Schoenfeld were both great in thier own styles.  And Bill Height was  a great stay home type.  And our new head coach, Phil Houseley was one of our best ever also.  None of them had the all around skill set that Risto has. He is big, can skate, can hit, can shoot the puck accurately, and he has it all.  Eichel, Risto, O'Reilly, Okposo,  Kane, Pommenville, Scandella are all going to make noise.  The forward from Edmonton I am not that familiar with?  Nor the defenseman from Montreal?  But based on what they are being paid I assume they are not chopped liver.  There is excitement in Buffalo once again.  We have the Winter Classic game and we host the juniors again.  A great hockey town is Buffalo whether you love them like me or hate them like some here.  I would love to see them get in this year.  But there is lots of work to do.  And a young Finnish goalie to develope.  I may go to a game or two in Rochester to see him up close.

10 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But I must pay my respects to an old enemy of ours that lost his battle with that deadly disease that has taken far too many people.  Murray will always be remembered as a true hockey guy and gave us all we could handle.  Prayers are with your family, Tim included.

:ok:

Archived