Rubstov: QMJHL or Phantoms ?

hf101

German Rubstov only played 16 games last year in the Quebec League last spring and scored 9 goals,  13 assists with a -11  +/- rating.  Some seem to think that he should play another full season with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens as he would center the top line and likely be traded to a contending team at some point in the season.  

On the other hand, Rubstov is 19 years of age and is eligible to play with the Phantoms and would likely challenge for a top 9 roster spot according to Bill Meltzer.

Where would you like to see him play this season?

35 minutes ago, hf101 said:

German Rubistov only played 16 games last year in the Quebec League last spring and scored 9 goals,  13 assists with a -11  +/- rating.  Some seem to think that he should play another full season with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens as he would center the top line and likely be traded to a contending team at some point in the season.  

On the other hand, Rubistov is 19 years of age and is eligible to play with the Phantoms and would likely challenge for a top 9 roster spot according to Bill Meltzer.

When did Ruby get an i added to his name??

Is he trying to be like Vorobyov and change his name to Vorobyev????

Seriously though barring Ruby coming out and setting the preseason on fire i would send him back to juniors so he can dominate and play against kids closer to his age.

I think it will do him some good for his development and confidence. Let him help his junior team push for a memorial Cup run.

The Sags training camp has already started and he is there with his team mates....it is where i would return him so he can learn to win there first.

Just my 2 cents.

• hf101 changed the title to Rubstov: QMJHL or Phantoms ?
13 minutes ago, hf101 said:

just my bad spelling habits... 

fixed - thanks.

Yeah here to help besides. There is already a log jam at forward as it is.

There really is no room on the Phantoms for him and he would be taking minutes away from a kid ahead him anyways. If he is on the Phantoms he would need to be on the top two lines.

Not sure if Laughton and/or Vecchione will be on the BIG club or not so if they are not they could take the top two center spots on the Phantoms.

He'll be better served playing on the Sag's top line and power play than a lesser role in the AHL.

I'm fine with him going back to Chicoutimi. The guys still a teenager whos entire season last year was spent in the Twilight Zone. I'd really like to see him developed as a centre, and I think the Saugeens would give him the best shot at that.

What role would he expect to have with the Phantoms?  Would he center one of the top two lines?  

My sense would be to send him back to juniors.  Young kid just getting acclimated to North American hockey.  Let him build some confidence and strength in juniors.

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

German Rubstov only played 16 games last year in the Quebec League last spring and scored 9 goals,  13 assists with a -11  +/- rating.  Some seem to think that he should play another full season with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens as he would center the top line and likely be traded to a contending team at some point in the season.  

On the other hand, Rubstov is 19 years of age and is eligible to play with the Phantoms and would likely challenge for a top 9 roster spot according to Bill Meltzer.

I think you see what he's got in camp.  

Normally, I'd be pushing for him to be on the Phantoms.  I'm not a big fan of keeping guys in Juniors if they don't have to be.  But I'm aboard giving him a full year in Juniors, even if just to let him at least get a better handle on the larger ice surface.

It's true the Flyers to have a log jam at Center.  I'm not keen on moving any more natural centers to wing, but if This kid is going to remain a Flyer, he's going to have to prove himself incredibly valuable over the next three years.  

The long and short is he's either going to prove himself enough to make Couturier expendable, he's going to make the switch to wing, or he's going to be traded for a wing.  

In the mean time, he's a nice option to have developing in the system until we know just what we have with Patrick.  God willing he's a 2C soon and the 1C of the future, but you can never tell and in the mean time, Ruby's under ELC for three more years, so I say let's let him progress as normal.  There are no holes that require him.  

32 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Petition to change his nickname to "Rubber"

I like Ruby, but that might be because every time I see his name I hear the Clash and subconsciously change the Lyric to "Ruby Can't Fail"

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, you win. Not fair bringing the Clash into it like that.:whiteflag:

It's just what my brain does, I can't help it.  I literally hear it in my head every time I read his name haha.

Maybe if we all start spelling it Rubi?

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

It's just what my brain does, I can't help it.  I literally hear it in my head every time I read his name haha

Understood. For me, it's probably more the Specials song that runs through my head. Ok, back on topic: I think he stays in the Q too. 

27 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Understood. For me, it's probably more the Specials song that runs through my head. Ok, back on topic: I think he stays in the Q too. 

I'm just trying to keep Dion out of my head.

41 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I like Ruby, but that might be because every time I see his name I hear the Clash and subconsciously change the Lyric to "Ruby Can't Fail"

I always liked you King...

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well his contract will slide this year regardless if he goes to juniors or plays in the AHL so that is good news.

Even better news.

If somehow he comes into camp looking better than Patrick, Lindblom and Konecny or something, then of course you have to make adjustments somehow and play to win.  But meanwhile back in the real world, I just don't see the need to rush a kid unless he suddenly looks like McDavid out there.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

But meanwhile back in the real world, I just don't see the need to rush a kid unless he suddenly looks like McDavid out there.

I know what you mean by that, but in truth the thing that tells you whether a player can make the jump is probably less of the "wow look at that skill!" variety and more of the "wow, he is really mature and can process the game at high speed, able to adjust, react and learn quickly" variety.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I know what you mean by that, but in truth the thing that tells you whether a player can make the jump is probably less of the "wow look at that skill!" variety and more of the "wow, he is really mature and can process the game at high speed, able to adjust, react and learn quickly" variety.

Oh totally.  I agree...  I think my larger point is that for the Flyers right now, it needs to be more than that "wow, he is really mature and can process the game at high speed, able to adjust, react and learn quickly".  It literally has to be that AND mind blowing skill in order to merit making room for him now or in the case of this discussion pushing him to the AHL to get your coaches onto him and start fixing his game now.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It literally has to be that AND mind blowing skill in order to merit making room for him now or in the case of this discussion pushing him to the AHL to get your coaches onto him and start fixing his game now.

Yeah I guess, but what if he's just a better player in camp? Wait a sec, is he even going to the main camp?

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I guess, but what if he's just a better player in camp? Wait a sec, is he even going to the main camp?

I don't know if they've made that call about camp.  Usually the kids get some camp time and maybe a preseason game or two at this age if they're "on the path" don't they?

Do you mean that if he's an improved all around player in camp but not an astoundingly skilled "blow 'em out of the water" skilled talent?

I think they'd be hard pressed to send him to the Phantoms unless they think he's good enough that he'll either help the Flyers later THIS season or definitely NEXT.

Roster being what it is, he has to look like he could be ready to play in the NHL very soon OR look good enough that he'll play in the NHL now.

There's no use in bringing him to the Flyers to play on the 4th line when they already have three 4c's and they believe (and his numbers show) he's likely a top 6 player.  

I think they'd be hard pressed to send him to the Phantoms unless they think he's good enough that he'll either help the Flyers later THIS season or definitely NEXT.

Not necessarily. I think it first comes down to whether or not they think he's ready to play pro, just not at the NHL level yet. Second, question is where does he get more ice time, more time to play in all situations, etc

There's no use in bringing him to the Flyers to play on the 4th line when they already have three 4c's and they believe (and his numbers show) he's likely a top 6 player.

Agreed 100%

Archived