Are the Blue Jackets for real?

Have to wonder how Columbus will fare this season.  They had that incredible winning streak that put them in the playoffs early.  Torts got the most out of his squad. I like some of their players and especially Cam Atkinson.  We shall see if they are as good as they looked last year.  If they are, they could take the next big step and get to the conference finals? Maybe.  Or maybe not?  Did they simply sneak up on the league?  Nobody will take them lightly now. That is for sure.  If they are able to light the lamp, they can get in again and perhaps make some noise.  We are going to see if Torts still has it.  I have never been a fan even though he started his career in Rochester, as coach of the Americans.  He never got to Buffalo because we had Ruff.  And there was no reason to replace Lindy.  

I believe Torts had that team playing over their heads last year! 

I agree with you that the league will be better prepared for the Blue Jackets this year! With that I expect them to finish 7th or 8th. 6th with a small win streak somewhere! They should have a consistent year barring a major injury! 

36 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Have to wonder how Columbus will fare this season.  They had that incredible winning streak that put them in the playoffs early.  Torts got the most out of his squad. I like some of their players and especially Cam Atkinson.  We shall see if they are as good as they looked last year.  If they are, they could take the next big step and get to the conference finals? Maybe.  Or maybe not?  Did they simply sneak up on the league?  Nobody will take them lightly now. That is for sure.  If they are able to light the lamp, they can get in again and perhaps make some noise.  We are going to see if Torts still has it.  I have never been a fan even though he started his career in Rochester, as coach of the Americans.  He never got to Buffalo because we had Ruff.  And there was no reason to replace Lindy.  

Yeah we'll see when Bob turns into more than a good regular season goalie....till then....meh!

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Have to wonder how Columbus will fare this season.  

Man they looked damn good versus the Isles last night.

As good as they were last year and then you add Panarin 3 assist...

...Milano and Dubois (whom all scored their 1st NHL goals last night) to the arsenal they already had.

Throw Bob in net whom passed Mason for most shutouts in Jackets history as well.

And yeah these guys look scary good.

A real threat in the East this season!!!

This team in my opinion has what it takes to go really far if not all the way. They have one of the Top Defenses in Werenski and Jones and the offense is very strong. Bobrovsky is a very strong Goalie and can put forth a great game each time he goes out. Now the only downfall I see they have is some depth, but they are a top team for sure.

33 minutes ago, Puck It Up said:

This team in my opinion has what it takes to go really far if not all the way. They have one of the Top Defenses in Werenski and Jones and the offense is very strong. Bobrovsky is a very strong Goalie and can put forth a great game each time he goes out. Now the only downfall I see they have is some depth, but they are a top team for sure.

I live an hour north of Columbus and my wife is a big Jacket fan so I see a ton of their games, IMHO the absolute ONLY thing they need is a 2c. Dubinsky is better suited for further down the lineup and Dubois is young and raw and should really play the wing for a year or two. Panarin worked on faceoff skills in the preseason and may bounce from the wing to center at some point but the logical move is to trade for Duchene from Colorado which has been rumored for roughly a year now. If they add the 2C they are IMHO a sedrious cup contender. Without one they are a very good but flawed team.

40 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I live an hour north of Columbus and my wife is a big Jacket fan so I see a ton of their games, IMHO the absolute ONLY thing they need is a 2c. Dubinsky is better suited for further down the lineup and Dubois is young and raw and should really play the wing for a year or two. Panarin worked on faceoff skills in the preseason and may bounce from the wing to center at some point but the logical move is to trade for Duchene from Colorado which has been rumored for roughly a year now. If they add the 2C they are IMHO a sedrious cup contender. Without one they are a very good but flawed team.

Duchene would be the perfect fit for the Blue Jackets.

Well they got b!tch slapped yesterday back to reality by the BlackHawks 5-1.

So were they are really is still anyone's guess.

But the Blackhawks have done a helluva a job retooling in the offseason.

Still a long season ahead...

Looking over at this Columbus roster, I see no reason why they can't be a playoff team this year.

They've been built to make the playoffs for a few seasons now actually, but some inconsistencies and injuries always seem to derail these guys.

Now if by "for real" one means winning the Stanley Cup, then I would have to say they are still a few pieces away from that part of it.....along with having to stay healty (**cough! Bob.  **cough, Duby!), and have their stars perform consistently (Wennberg, Atkinson...etc).

One of the pieces, @yave1964 mentioned, is definitely a legit top six 2C.

Foligno and/or Dubinsky have served well in that area, but both those guys are, IMO, better suited for 3rd line roles (Foligno is more a winger I believe...perhaps a top nine winger with the team), plus in the case of Dubinsky, he can't seem to put together a full season without long stretches on IR.

The Columbus defense is pretty good on the top pair, but after that, I would think more depth and maybe some upgrades will be needed for a championship. Or maybe the same guys with more experience under their belts.

Then of course, we have Bob.
The Jackets need top shelf goaltending from this guy....and need him to stay in the net during the year to do it.
Oh, and maybe someone better than Korpisalo to back him up so Bobrovsky and the coaching staff can truly feel like the starting netminder can take a night off here and there without worrying about what disaster awaits the team with Korpisalo in net

Yea, Columbus should be a real playoff contender, but Stanley Cup "real"?
Nope, not yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:57 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

6 games in and still too soon to know if CBJ is for real.  Bob is solid and they go as he goes.  Panarin looks lost to me- here's hoping he gets going and starts scoring. He has 7 pts so far but only 1 goal.   Need big bounce back years from Murray, Jenner, Dubinsky plus all the kids need to make a big step up (here's looking at you Milano, Carlsson, Hannikainen, Bjorkstrand, Korpisalo).  They also need another year w/o serious injuries.  Can't forget how badly they were set back a couple seasons back when they set a record for mangames lost in a season.  After 10 years of bad drafting/developing/trades, it takes awhile to get a playoff caliber team together.  CBJ are close now.

Columbus just needs their scorers to step up a little more, and get more contributions from lines 2 through 4 , and be a little better on the power play as well as their PK in crunch time. I'm not sure a Duchene trade is what they need, but they could use another scorer. Their defense is very solid, and their goaltending is capable of stealing a game at any time. I have almost no doubt they have the pieces to make it to the Eastern Conference finals, they just aren't finals or Cup-ready quite yet.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, FD19372 said:

Columbus just needs their scorers to step up a little more, and get more contributions from lines 2 through 4 , and be a little better on the power play as well as their PK in crunch time. I'm not sure a Duchene trade is what they need, but they could use another scorer. Their defense is very solid, and their goaltending is capable of stealing a game at any time. I have almost no doubt they have the pieces to make it to the Eastern Conference finals, they just aren't finals or Cup-ready quite yet.

Amen,  where is Panarin?  And we Jenner to have a big bounce back year.

Nine games in and CBJ are Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde kind of team.  Looked "not good" against Sabres last night in first period... saved by Bob again.  Sabres had them running around the rink for 20 minutes.  Later, after Bob stoned Ryan O'Reilly on a clean break away, the tide turned and Sabres began to fade.  Also got tired of NBC repeatedly punching up Jack Eichel all evening w/ little or no kudos to CBJ youngsters.  Thought they played well against TB in a 2-0 loss (Bolts look awesome right now).  Concerned they couldn't beat the Kings.  Those are games they have to win if they're to be regarded seriously.  IMHO they lose games they shouldn't and steal some games unexpectedly from others.  The real playoff contenders are more consistent.  Anxious to get Gabriel Carlsson back on the ice.  He impressed me late last season.  Still wonder if Jarmo is quietly trying to bring in Matt Duchesne.  Hoping Panarin gets comfortable and starts scoring (Saad is having a good time back in Chicago).

Bob carries the team, no doubt.  So far Kopisalo is a concern.  Odd how once upon a time, Dansk, Forsberg, and Korpisalo were all in CBJ system backed up behind Bob.  Only Korpisalo remains today.  Trade deadline/July 1 will reveal how they handle Jack Johnson and Cam Atkinson both heading toward UFA status.  Still waiting for Panarin to start lighting it up.

• 1 month later...

Archived