Pasta in the O&B?

elmatus

Despite last year's 70 pt (34G) rookie season, Pasta has yet to be resigned by the Bs. There has been chatter since the start of the summer that Sweeney may be listening to trade offers. Of course, these things often get blown out of proportion by media, so who really knows? Still, it makes for an interesting topic of conversation.

On that note, let's assume Sweeney is listening to offers. Could there be some sort of deal made that sees Pasta in an orange and black jersey in the near future?

To be fair, I personally can't see it happening. First, though Sweeney is a bit of a tool, I have a hard time with the idea that he'd shop a 21yr old 70 pt rookie. Yeah, Kessel and Seguin blah blah. I have to think at some point the trading of promising 21 years old will stop. Secondly, if Pasta were to be traded, I can imagine the asking price would be very very high. These rumours stem largely from the fact Boston is in dire need of some solid blueliners, which is something Philly currently has in spades. Still, this is a possible stud sniper at the very beginning of his career. If I'm guessing, I'd say any trade starts with Provo, which would be both stupid and unfathomable to me. So I think the conversation ends there.

Still, maybe I'm wrong about all that.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I realize I did not mention Pasta's actual name is Pastrnak. Just in case that needed to be clarified...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want to trade for him?  Bruins are going to start with demanding Provorov and then some in return.  I'd honestly rather trade one of our several overpaid players who hold some value for future considerations and then offer sheet him.

23 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

You want to trade for him?  Bruins are going to start with demanding Provorov and then some in return.  I'd honestly rather trade one of our several overpaid players who hold some value for future considerations and then offer sheet him.

Yeah but that offsheet will cost you 4 first round picks.

Pass.

Stay. The. Course.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but that offsheet will cost you 4 first round picks.

Pass.

Stay. The. Course.

If you offer more than $9 million....throw $5.8 mil at him and a 1st and 3rd which they would match. $5.8 - 7.8 then 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  

I'd love him in O&B. I'm not willing to give up what it would take, and that's including the cap hit that would cost other players later. 

But, in the interest of win now with their aging core, would they do a defenseman not named Provorov, Voracek, and a pick? 

11 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

If you offer more than $9 million....throw $5.8 mil at him and a 1st and 3rd which they would match. $5.8 - 7.8 then 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  

The player has to sign the offer sheet.

Pastrnak isn't taking $5.8M from the Bruins, why would he sign a sheet the Bruins would match and keep him at that number?

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

The player has to sign the offer sheet.

Pastrnak isn't taking $5.8M from the Bruins, why would he sign a sheet the Bruins would match and keep him at that number?

Not saying he would, simply just stating the different compensation levels.  He might be fine with a dollar amount but not length they are offering though

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd love him in O&B. I'm not willing to give up what it would take, and that's including the cap hit that would cost other players later. 

But, in the interest of win now with their aging core, would they do a defenseman not named Provorov, Voracek, and a pick? 

I'm with you. I have no doubt Provo would need to be part of it, which isn't worth it in my estimation.

The reason for the thread was more towards your second point: Would the B's take some combination of things not named Provorov, and could such a combo make sense for PHI as well?

To further your idea, if Provo isn't involved, the second obvious name would be Sanheim. So now we're at Voracek + Sanheim + a 1st round pick. Does that get the deal done? Is it worth it for the Flyers?

My knee jerk, risk averse reaction would be it's not worth it. If Sanheim blossoms into what he may yet become, I feel that type of player on the blueline is generally more valuable than someone like Pasta. Still, I could see the opposing view being valid as well. Pasta did score a remarkable amount of goals. Sure he only did it once, but that's one time more than Sanheim to date...

Maybe the saddest part of this is how I barely gave any thought to trading away Voracek as part of that deal... I guess I feel that Pasta would take his place anyway, so it doesn't feel like much of a loss to me. Sad though.

He would cost far too much. In addition, Konecny might be every bit of the play or more. For once the Flyer may actually have an elite defense corps for years to come. I would not jeopardize that for any player.... realistically speaking that is.

If Voracek, a 1st and say Manning could get it done. I know, wishful thinking.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:17 AM, elmatus said:

Despite last year's 70 pt (34G) rookie season, Pasta has yet to be resigned by the Bs. There has been chatter since the start of the summer that Sweeney may be listening to trade offers. Of course, these things often get blown out of proportion by media, so who really knows? Still, it makes for an interesting topic of conversation.

On that note, let's assume Sweeney is listening to offers. Could there be some sort of deal made that sees Pasta in an orange and black jersey in the near future?

To be fair, I personally can't see it happening. First, though Sweeney is a bit of a tool, I have a hard time with the idea that he'd shop a 21yr old 70 pt rookie. Yeah, Kessel and Seguin blah blah. I have to think at some point the trading of promising 21 years old will stop. Secondly, if Pasta were to be traded, I can imagine the asking price would be very very high. These rumours stem largely from the fact Boston is in dire need of some solid blueliners, which is something Philly currently has in spades. Still, this is a possible stud sniper at the very beginning of his career. If I'm guessing, I'd say any trade starts with Provo, which would be both stupid and unfathomable to me. So I think the conversation ends there.

Still, maybe I'm wrong about all that.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I realize I did not mention Pasta's actual name is Pastrnak. Just in case that needed to be clarified...

Isn't this the team that traded away Thornton, Kessel and Lucic?  

Trading Pastrnak seems like par for that course doesn't it?

The problem (and why this is realistic) is that Boston has over 26 million per yr tied up in 4 players, only one of whom was even close to Pastrnak's numbers last year (though admitedly Marchand DID outscore him by a ton).  It's probably too much money for what they're getting out of those guys while their defense is in need of some help.  Chara's 40 and his contract's going to  be up.  Krug's good and the rest are Okay, but they're going to need some help soon enough.  It makes sense to dangle the asset they can to get some D help.  

Still, Hexy might as well see what you they want for him.  I love Weal, but I'd package him with Raffl in a heartbeat for Pastrnak.  The problem is that I don't think I'd be willing to give up any of the young D men yet.  Not for a forward on a team that already has too many forwards.  If Boston would take Lehtera, I'd even consider giving them Gudas.  If they'd take MacDonald, I'd throw in a new Buick.  

Technically Boston can maybe afford to take on a Lehtera cap hit in return, but clearly they don't want to spend that kind of money or else the kid would be signed already.

Does this kid make the Flyers better (if they can resign him)?  Absolutely.  Does he fill any glaring holes?  Not really.  Not enough to give up a D prospect.  

I believe he'll probably be resigned for a year or two closer to camp.  Any calls Boston is making are for posturing purposes in the negotiations.  Frankly, if I'm them, I lock the kid up and move on.  They have plenty of cap room in spite of their ridiculous contracts for the likes of Backes and Krejci.  

If I'm Hextall, I'd go ahead and take advantage if they get desperate, but frankly, I'm sure there are other teams around the league more desperate that would actually play ball with the Bruins to get him.  Hextall doesn't need to.  Not unless the Bruins were willing to take Lehtera, Weise, & Read for him.  

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

If Voracek, a 1st and say Manning could get it done. I know, wishful thinking.

To @elmatus' point, it really is sad that you and me are really just throwing Voracek in there and no one (ourselves included) is really blinking at it.

I'm really just saying it because Jake's money vs. Pasta's likely money makes it possible and because Pasta's age may be more compatible with the team's projected growth arc than the 28 year old Jake -- who may fit better with Boston's real or imagined window.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

To @elmatus' point, it really is sad that you and me are really just throwing Voracek in there and no one (ourselves included) is really blinking at it.

I'm really just saying it because Jake's money vs. Pasta's likely money makes it possible and because Pasta's age may be more compatible with the team's projected growth arc than the 28 year old Jake -- who may fit better with Boston's real or imagined window.

Pastrnak had a really good year.  We're not talking about a handful of magic beans, we're talking about a kid 7 years younger than Jake who outproduced Jake (though granted the players around him produced better than those around Jake).  

It would be a great deal.  What's the worst that could happen?  The team doesn't make the playoffs again?  They're not ready to compete for a cup for two more years?  That's what we're likely looking at anyway... and at least this way the Flyers wouldn't have a 30+ year old Jake to pay 8 million to at that point. 

The problem is that Boston wouldn't go fo it.  They could just pay Pastrnak that 8 million and probably get a better player out of it.  They need D men.  

Not interested in Pastrnak because it's going to cost a young roster player (think Konecny), a prospect (one of Morin, Sanheim, Myers) and possibly multiple first round picks. The thing is, the Flyers are more than just a Pastrnak away from being an elite club that will challenge regularly for the Stanley Cup. Right now, the best thing for the Flyers is to just sit and wait. Right now, they've got a heck of a trade chip in Simmonds and if they're out of a playoff position by February and they have next to no chance in qualifying for one, then they make the big guy available and they get at least 12 teams bidding for him. The return on Simmonds would be greater than what the Flyers would have to give up for Pastrnak and you can bet that the bidding would start with a young roster player, a top prospect and a first. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Not interested in Pastrnak because it's going to cost a young roster player (think Konecny), a prospect (one of Morin, Sanheim, Myers) and possibly multiple first round picks. The thing is, the Flyers are more than just a Pastrnak away from being an elite club that will challenge regularly for the Stanley Cup. Right now, the best thing for the Flyers is to just sit and wait. Right now, they've got a heck of a trade chip in Simmonds and if they're out of a playoff position by February and they have next to no chance in qualifying for one, then they make the big guy available and they get at least 12 teams bidding for him. The return on Simmonds would be greater than what the Flyers would have to give up for Pastrnak and you can bet that the bidding would start with a young roster player, a top prospect and a first. 

Couldn't agree more.

Pastrnak is intriguing, but at what cost. If it's multiple pieces, it kind of turns me off. If they could move an older guy on a significant salary, it's a lot more palatable, but really, do the Bruins trade him for Voracek, or even Simmonds? Without a sweetener of a pick and/or a prospect?

Plus, the Flyers would have to sign him to a new contract, which I doubt would be under $7mm per. As intriguing as he is, I just can't see a fit right now that doesn't see the Flyers losing key young depth and avoiding a major cap crunch.

A 23 year old player who scored 70 points last year would be great for any team to add regardless of where they are (rebuilding, planning on a cup run, etc.).  If Boston calls and wants a Sanheim or a Meyers and Voracek I don't see how you don't pull the trigger.  I think we are overvaluing the potential our d prospects have.  Some if not most will pan out and be very good NHL players but some of them will not.  If you can trade a potentially good player at an area of strength, at least in terms of young players, for a position of need you do it.  

Pros to acquiring:

1. 24 of his 34 goals came at 5v5 which this team desperately needs a boost in and can skate like the wind.   Would be our first line RW potentially for the next 10 years 
  2. He is only 23 years old and not even in his prime, he will be able to grow with the young core we have in place.
  3. As much as I like Jake, if they would take on that contract it would be of great service to the O&B.  He should have never been giving that much money for that long after one great season.
  4. Would have a net gain in cap space if Jake were 

Negatives to acquiring:

1. He would have to change his number...
  2. Loss of defensive prospect(s)/pick(s)
  3. Could want a 8 year contract at $7-8 million after only one really good year (Jake 2.0!)

Since the majority here doesn't seem willing to give up our blue chips (Sanheim, Morin, etc.) how about this?

Boston Acquires: Jake Voracek, Robert Hagg, Mark Friedman, and 2018 1st round (STL) pick

Philadelphia Acquires: Davis Pastrnak and 2018 3rd round pick

Losing Hagg would sting a little but we have so many other prospects in the pipeline it would be fine.  Friedman has potential but would be a throw in to try and get a pick back, and the STL pick will probably be in the bottom third of the first.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

Boston Acquires: Jake Voracek, Robert Hagg, Mark Friedman, and 2018 1st round (STL) pick

I'd do this in a New York minute.   Ordinarily I'd say no way Boston does this.   But they've already done trades and picks that I thought there's no way they'd do.

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

That's more than they got for Seguin or Hamilton, both of whom play more valuable positions and were comparable ages when traded.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

That's more than they got for Seguin or Hamilton, both of whom play more valuable positions and were comparable ages when traded.

You wouldn't do that trade?  What would you propse?

1 minute ago, sekkes85 said:

What would you propse?

I wouldn't. I don't think the Flyers and Bruins make good partners for a move like this. I think the centerpiece they would need back would have to be on defense, not offense, meaning either Gudas or Ghost, with TK going back to replace Pastrnak on offense. While he's the kind of piece that it would make sense for the Flyers to acquire, I don't think the Flyers are in a place where they can comfortably give up what the Bruins likely need in return for it to make sense for them.

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If that's what he costs, then yes, I agree with you.  I made the point earlier, that it makes no sense for Boston to trade for a Voracek or Giroux... they might as well just give Pastrnak a 5 year 8 million dollar deal.   They need defense if they're trying to capitalize on what's left of their "window".

However, I don't agree on the idea that the Flyers aren't a Pastrnak away but more based on the very concept that Pastnak  is "that guy you add to make the push".   He's 21.  He's still a prospect really.  He looks like he's going to be a fixture on this league for a long time to come and he's just begun being productive.  

You add Pastrnak now, you're adding him for the long haul, not as a Tony Amonte or Alexi Zhamnov or Adam Oates for the playoff push.    He'd be part of your youth movement and a fixture on the team for 10 years.  He's that young and looking that good that I'd consider sending them 'something' of value in return.  What that could be though is probably too high a price.

If Boston thinks they're winning now, they'll want Ghost or Provo and probably Simmer.  

I have to think twice about Ghost and Simmer.  I don't send them Provo.  

Boston clearly thinks they're winning now or else they'd just sign this kid.

Long story short, this deal almost definitely ain't happening.  Boston's just going to sign him.  It's silly for them not to.  

But if it were going to happen would you do it for Ghost and Simmer?  Because that's what I think they'd be looking for.

Archived