Lehtera to wear #15

hf101

Jori Lehtera will wear #15 and Brian Elliot #37,  seems like an appropriate # for Lehtera...   :ermm:

Previous Flyers who have worn #15...

Eric Chouinard

Bill Clement

Al Conroy

Terry Crisp

JJ Daigneault

Michael Del Zotto

Niko Dimitrakos

Yanick Dupre

Doug Evans

Pat Fallon

Craig Fisher

Mark Grieg

Al Hill

Steve Kasper

Andrei Kovalenko

Dale Kushner

Andre Lacroix

Dan Lucas

Joffrey Lupul

Mike Mancluk

Tye McGinn

Larry Mickey

Andreas Nodl

Garry Peters

Stefan Ruzicka

Joe Sacco

Jarrod Skalde

John Slaney

Doug Sulliman

Rich Sutter

Mark Taylor 

Peter White

Todd White

Larry Wright

Hope he is wearing it in Lehigh Valley.

I'm looking forward to hearing what numbers Patrick, Lindblom, Hagg and Morin will be wearing (in Philadelphia).

5 hours ago, hf101 said:

Jori Lehtera will wear #15 and Brian Elliot #37,  seems like an appropriate # for Lehtera...   :ermm:

Previous Flyers who have worn #15...

Eric Chouinard

Bill Clement

Al Conroy

Terry Crisp

JJ Daigneault

Michael Del Zotto

Niko Dimitrakos

Yanick Dupre

Doug Evans

Pat Fallon

Craig Fisher

Mark Grieg

Al Hill

Steve Kasper

Andrei Kovalenko

Dale Kushner

Andre Lacroix

Dan Lucas

Joffrey Lupul

Mike Mancluk

Tye McGinn

Larry Mickey

Andreas Nodl

Garry Peters

Stefan Ruzicka

Joe Sacco

Jarrod Skalde

John Slaney

Doug Sulliman

Rich Sutter

Mark Taylor 

Peter White

Todd White

Larry Wright

Illustrious company.  I'm sure he'll stand out like a glowing light of hope on that list of luminaries.  

4 hours ago, intheslot said:

Thought Clement wore #10 ..

He did, and that's the way I remember him.   But he had 15 when he first came up (did not know that until I had to look it up based on this thread)

6 hours ago, King Knut said:

Illustrious company.  I'm sure he'll stand out like a glowing light of hope on that list of luminaries.  

Yeah, not exactly the all star team, huh?

Best players in NHL history by uniform number.   15 is not strong in the force.

15 -- Milt Schmidt
Schmidt's career numbers (229 goals, 575 points) might not seem like a lot today, but he was regarded as one of the greatest players of his era. He became an NHL regular at 18, something almost unheard of at the time; led the League in scoring at age 21; was a three-time First-Team All-Star; won the Hart Trophy as MVP in 1950-51 at age 32; and lasted until he was 36.
Runner-up: Bobby Smith
Also in the mix: John MacLean, Bert Olmstead, Jim Nielson

source

Not to hijack the thread, but some may find #19 interesting.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Best players in NHL history by uniform number.   15 is not strong in the force.

15 -- Milt Schmidt
Schmidt's career numbers (229 goals, 575 points) might not seem like a lot today, but he was regarded as one of the greatest players of his era. He became an NHL regular at 18, something almost unheard of at the time; led the League in scoring at age 21; was a three-time First-Team All-Star; won the Hart Trophy as MVP in 1950-51 at age 32; and lasted until he was 36.
Runner-up: Bobby Smith
Also in the mix: John MacLean, Bert Olmstead, Jim Nielson

source

Not to hijack the thread, but some may find #19 interesting.

I'd probably give #15 honors to Bobby Smith, ...plus that he was probably my favorite North Star 

GP1,077 G 357 A 679 P 1,036

Lol at "Mike Mancluk"

I recall watching Maneluk in the AHL playoffs for the Phantoms in 1997-1998.  He was a beast and won the Butterfield trophy for MVP of the playoffs along with the Calder cup.  I was hoping his skills would translate over to the NHL and was excited to see him when they brought him up the next year.  Unfortunately He only lasted 14 games with the Flyers before being traded to the Blackhawks for the Immortal Roman Vopat and ended up being one of the more forgettable 15s on this list.

Well, I was reading that Lehtera has been working out in Finland and that he's been power skating with regards to improving his initial burst when he starts skating. I know he mentioned that the World Cup of Hockey took a lot out of him and that he feels invigorated and ready to perform once again. I didn't know this, but he also had a concussion last season, which also explains his poor performance. I'm interested to see what becomes of Lehtera here. Some guys just need a new location to get their game back. John LeClair was also one of those guys. I'm not saying Lehtera is going to become a multiple time 50 goal scorer, but if he can get to the 40 to 50 point range and play solid defense, that's a plus.

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm interested to see what becomes of Lehtera here.

I am too.

If he can return to his first year's numbers it could help a lot.

14 goals 30 assist +21 in 75 games is achievable and it would help when looking at his cap hit.

However i think he will have to play on the 3rd line to get close to those numbers.

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into Umberger part deux....

:beer:

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, I was reading that Lehtera has been working out in Finland and that he's been power skating with regards to improving his initial burst when he starts skating. I know he mentioned that the World Cup of Hockey took a lot out of him and that he feels invigorated and ready to perform once again. I didn't know this, but he also had a concussion last season, which also explains his poor performance. I'm interested to see what becomes of Lehtera here. Some guys just need a new location to get their game back. John LeClair was also one of those guys. I'm not saying Lehtera is going to become a multiple time 50 goal scorer, but if he can get to the 40 to 50 point range and play solid defense, that's a plus.

Lehtera was never a good skater to begin with and certainly not fast.  How much can he really improve at the age of 29 going on 30 in December?

Don't see 40 to 50 points from him .  Yeah, the concussion may have slowed him a bit last year.  But he had only 9 goals in 34 points in 79 games.  He topped 40 points once and that was his first season.  Also, remember that he played mostly with Tarasenko and I think Jayden Schwartz.  He won't be playing on a line like that here.

Maybe a change in scenery will help.  Maybe he can re-invent himself as a solid defensive player.  Don't think that's the kind of value you want out of his contract, though.  I also think I'd rather see someone else in that role.

22 minutes ago, vis said:

Also, remember that he played mostly with Tarasenko and I think Jayden Schwartz.  He won't be playing on a line like that here.

Sure and they were also facing the opposition's best shut down lineup too. 

Schwartz had a very underwhelming year as well (just disappearing in last February after doing most of his damage in December and January)) after signing his big 5 x 5.3mill per year contract too. However i thought he played well come playoff time.

Must be the Rick jinx on the Blues.

So i wouldn't put it all on Lehtera.

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure and they were also facing the opposition's best shut down lineup too. 

If you think he will be a third-line defensive forward for the Flyers, then he will be facing the opposition's top scoring line and therefore won't be getting many offensive opportunities.  

Whatever the reasons for the decline in production, it's just unlikely for him to get back to 40-50 points ( which he has done only once - three seasons ago) as a 29/30 year old playing a defensive role and without talented, offensive players like Tarasenko and Schwartz.  What about that scenario makes it seem like 14G and 44 points is realistically achievable?

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am too.

If he can return to his first year's numbers it could help a lot.

14 goals 30 assist +21 in 75 games is achievable and it would help when looking at his cap hit.

However i think he will have to play on the 3rd line to get close to those numbers.

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into Umberger part deux....

I just don't see how there'a any chance for him to be productive at all, even at 14 goals and 30 assists levels.

The difference is that Umberger couldn't effectively play anywhere any more and Lehtera AT least can fill in roles... hopefully on the pk a bit.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Flyers didn't want Lehtera. They just wanted those picks.  They had to take Jori to keep the Blues under the cap when they took Schenn.  If Lehtera is the 13th man or even if he spends time in Lehigh Valley, it'll be a hard pill for those here obsessed with Salary to swallow, but if it's the best thing for getting the kids into shape to be this team's core, then I'm all behind it.  

Frankly, what I'm afraid of most is that he seems like EXACTLY Hakstol's kind of dude.  I don't want Hak to bench Patrick or Lindblom or Weal so they can "Learn" in favor of playing Lehtera, Read or Weise who pretty much are what they are.

1 hour ago, vis said:

If you think he will be a third-line defensive forward for the Flyers, then he will be facing the opposition's top scoring line and therefore won't be getting many offensive opportunities.

If that is the role they chose for him then i'm ok with that.

But he can still bank 14 goals on the 3rd in a season.

Coots has netted somewhere around that every year while playing the shutdown role.

I'm not saying it will happen but it can.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I just don't see how there'a any chance for him to be productive at all, even at 14 goals and 30 assists levels.

Why so negative on a guy who hasn't even taken one stride in a Flyer uniform...hey i get he is over paid but he can still play good lord.

Give him a chance before all the he is useless crap.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Frankly, what I'm afraid of most is that he seems like EXACTLY Hakstol's kind of dude.

Which means yeah he can possibly be useful.

It is really hard to come here and keep posting with everyone around here always being so negative all the time it seems about anyone who plays in orange and black....it's always the other teams players they alway covet....till they get to Philly.

Sorry not to take it all out on you it just gets exhausting.

It just makes me lose my passion to even conversate with folks here sometimes.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But he can still bank 14 goals on the 3rd in a season.

Coots has netted somewhere around that every year while playing the shutdown role.

I'm not saying it will happen but it can.

Do you think that is reasonably realistic for him to achieve?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow. Ok. Hard to make sense of the dot....but i agree!!!

Had a longer response typed out and was going to edit it, but my question above sums it up.

Archived