Lehtera to wear #15

hf101

9 minutes ago, vis said:

Do you think that is reasonably realistic for him to achieve?

14 goals as a 3rd line winger?? Yes. We've seen Raffl score 13 two years ago in a similar role while moving all over the place and he isn't exactly fleet of foot either.

Hell Vinny score 20 several years ago on the 4th line. It can be done.

But let's get this part straight i'm not sitting here guaranteeing it just saying on the plus side maybe he comes in motivated by the trade he has put in a lot of work this offseason from what i have seen from his reports and yes maybe he nets 14 or more.

Guess we'll see.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

14 goals as a 3rd line winger?? Yes.

...and 44 points per your first post?  (I'll assume yes per your initial post.)

Disagree on both.  Don't see either being reasonably realistic.

3 minutes ago, vis said:

...and 44 points per your first post?  (I'll assume yes per your initial post.)

Disagree on both.  Don't see either being reasonably realistic.

That is fine. Guess we'll see as i said.

Sorry not to take it all out on you it just gets exhausting.

It just makes me lose my passion to even conversate with folks here sometimes.

Trust me, I get it... and I PROMISE YOU,  I'm the last guy to be negative around here.  I'm the cockeyed optimist.  I'm in no way negative on the team or their prospects.  I think they're on the verge of great things and I think this season isn't too soon to see the start of that.  I think Hagg and Morin and Sanheim are going to surprise us all and I think the scoring (especially at even strength) is going to go back up by a ton and I think the team is going to do better in the standings as a result.  I don't think Giroux is on the decline (not seriously) just yet. 

On Lehtera specifically, I'm just looking at what he seems to do well and I'm looking at the roster and I just don't see a ton of room.  

In fact, this is in and of itself an optimistic outlook.  The rest of the team is looking that much better that a guy like Lehtera just doesn't have a helluva lot of room to maneuver in this lineup.  I feel the same way for Raffl, Read and Weise.  I think 2 of the 4 of them will make the team, the third will be the 13th man and the 4th will be in Lehigh Valley or (god willing) traded to a place where they can play and thrive... and this is not because they're bad, but because the rest of the lineup is so improved.  

Why so negative on a guy who hasn't even taken one stride in a Flyer uniform...hey i get he is over paid but he can still play good lord.

Give him a chance before all the he is useless crap.

It's not him, it's the team and their situation.

I don't see this guy getting top 9 minutes at all this season. There just isn't room unless someone is a complete bust or (god forbid) someone gets really hurt.

One of the reasons that made trading Schenn acceptable was how packed the roster is... let alone for another center.

Even assuming he's on the 4th line, the vegas protection and resigning of Laughton really tells me they're going to be pushing for him to play 4C (what he's been training for in Lehigh specifically).

I didn't say he couldn't be useful, I was speaking directly to his scoring.  I have no issue with the player.  It's just that I don't see a top 9 spot for him and I think we already have three guys a lot like him (skill set wise) floating around the lineup fighting for a spot as it is.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I don't see this guy getting top 9 minutes at all this season.

I do if for no other reason than his price tag. I wouldn't believe that was the case but i have seen them do that with Mcdud and there no bloody way in hell he should be on the top pair with Ivan or to me the lineup at all....but because they are paying him north of 5 mill per to play it just seems they feel force to put him out there.

So with that said i can see Lehtera getting a shot at the 2nd or more likely 3rd line wing spot. I'm not saying him will stick there but i can see them giving every opportunity to him just like they kept skating Bellemare and Van develde out there every night even though neither could produce much of anything.

But the first thing he must do for Hak is show he can be defensively responsible if he can do that he'll get a long look.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I do if for no other reason than his price tag. I wouldn't believe that was the case but i have seen them do that with Mcdud and there no bloody way in hell he should be on the top pair with Ivan or to me the lineup at all....but because they are paying him north of 5 mill per to play it just seems they feel force to put him out there.

I actually don't worry about this so much.  They never wanted the guy to begin with.  Hextall even admitted that they took him to make the cap work.  And in the case of MacDonald, they sent him to Lehigh Valley for most of 2015-2016, and I don't think he was on the top pairing with Ivan because of his salary, I think he was there because as a pairing the two of them were less exploitable than anyone else paired with MacDonald would have been (i.e. Provo could cover for his crappiness better than anyone else).  

So with that said i can see Lehtera getting a shot at the 2nd or more likely 3rd line wing spot. I'm not saying him will stick there but i can see them giving every opportunity to him just like they kept skating Bellemare and Van develde out there every night even though neither could produce much of anything.

Lehtera actually had decent success when moved to the 4th line in St. Louis last year.  He's best as a center I think he only gets top 9 minutes if Lindblom and Patrick don't make the team.

But the first thing he must do for Hak is show he can be defensively responsible if he can do that he'll get a long look.

He's got to get past Hextall before he can start impressing Hakstol with his defensive responsibility.  I'm not sure that's a given.  Mac didn't get past him 2 years ago and really took a long while to "earn" his spot there last year.  Had they needed the cap room as much last year as they did two years ago, I have no doubt that Mac would have started in the AHL again last year.  

This is going to be an amazing camp in terms of competition.   I agree with some pundits that Laughton has the most to lose in camp and the year if he isn't sharp. Other than that--hard for me to reckon the shuffling we will see in camp and the first third of the season.  It will be Hakstol's greatest challenge to date as coach.  

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 12:33 AM, Howie58 said:

This is going to be an amazing camp in terms of competition.   I agree with some pundits that Laughton has the most to lose in camp and the year if he isn't sharp. Other than that--hard for me to reckon the shuffling we will see in camp and the first third of the season.  It will be Hakstol's greatest challenge to date as coach.  

I think he should be a buyout candidate next year....

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/jori-lehtera

...bite the bullet.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think he should be a buyout candidate next year....

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/jori-lehtera

...bite the bullet.

If Hex needs the cap space for someone else then sure. Otherwise, I expect he'd rather have Lehtera riding the pine for one season (like Read this year) than keeping him on the books for two. We already have Read and Filppula leaving after this season. That's two spots for newcomers. I doubt Hex brings up any more than that in a season.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

If Hex needs the cap space for someone else then sure. Otherwise, I expect he'd rather have Lehtera riding the pine for one season (like Read this year) than keeping him on the books for two. We already have Read and Filppula leaving after this season. That's two spots for newcomers. I doubt Hex brings up any more than that in a season.

Well you only have one window to buy him out.

Then yeah he is stuck with him.

But agree he is like Read just 1.5 mill more expensive!!!

#economic

Archived