Best Players by Uniform Number -- NHL HIstory

ruxpin

I don't usually get into these things, but this thread is inspired by the Lehtera #15 thread. 

I stumbled across this link:
https://www.nhl.com/news/hockeys-best-players-by-the-numbers-they-wore/c-536766

It lists the best player, runner up, and "also in the mix" for each number.   I don't have a problem with many.    It hurts my eyes to see Brian Leetch over Mark Howe at #2, but I get it.

#13  How does everyone feel about Matts Sundin over Pavel Datsyuk?   I was a fan of the latter, but I'm in the minority that never thought much of Sundin.

#16.  I'm okay with Brett Hull over Bobby Clarke.  Begrudgingly.   But I cannot get behind Marcel Dionne as runner up over Clarke.

#19  Yzerman over Sakic.    I'm okay with this, but I imagine that has to create debate.

#28  Steve Duchesne is in the mix?   The #28 must suck historically.

Quick glance at the list of numbers 0-33, only one really stands out to me as perhaps being erroneous:  I'd put Selanne over Ovechkin for the #8 for a couple reasons....

1--Selanne played a complete career (more than complete in fact) where he continued to be a productive player at a high level (and not just a 'compiler') well beyond his prime years...

2-- AND, I hate to beat a dead Russian horse, but he has that Cup win that has eluded and continues to elude, Ovechkin.

I like Cam Neely in the mix, although injuries cut short his career...perhaps he could have been the real 'Great 8' had he been able to play into his late 30's/early 40's.

Other comments on other numbers: Yzerman and Sakic are a pick'em for #19, IMO, although, if you factor in their post playing careers, Yzerman is a MUCH better GM than Sakic, if current results are anything to go by.

#20-- I suppose Luc Robitaille deserves to be there....I might be biased against him because I saw him play in the mid to late 90's and at that point, he was a still-good, but not great player, and I didn't think of him as anything special.  Dino Ciccerelli, on the other hand, continued to be a pestering. agitating, scoring bulldog right down to his retirement.....plus he played a bit for the Lightning, and was very popular when he did, thus my bias towards him over Luc.

#25--- I think Andreychuk and Nieuwendyk here are a pick'em also.

#29-- Only mentioning this one because it really made me laugh out loud...literally. Ken Dryden and Joel Otto in the same conversation for greatness.........uhh, yea.....pass the pipe....

#32--- I think maybe, perhaps, per chance, I take Claude Lemieux here over Dale Hunter.  I know, I know, everyone hates Claude, but talk about a guy who not only played well in the regular season, but seemed to always turn things up a notch or three for the playoffs....and that bag full of Stanley Cups  he has don't hurt his cause either....

Going back down to #4, can't argue with Bobby Orr, but, again, biased because I saw him play (and I was always scared for my hometown players whenever they faced him), Scott Stevens is deserving of being "in the mix".  That man pretty much personified 90's defensive hockey, shot blocking, freight train hits (with some head shots, yea, they were more ok back then), and just plain ol mean-ness.

I'll comment on the other numbers when I get a chance, but the above is my take on what I saw so far.

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'd put Selanne over Ovechkin for the #8 for a couple reasons....

1--Selanne played a complete career (more than complete in fact) where he continued to be a productive player at a high level (and not just a 'compiler') well beyond his prime years...

2-- AND, I hate to beat a dead Russian horse, but he has that Cup win that has eluded and continues to elude, Ovechkin

Yeah, I looked several times at that myself.  I'm with you on that one.

#32--- I think maybe, perhaps, per chance, I take Claude Lemieux here over Dale Hunter.  I know, I know, everyone hates Claude, but talk about a guy who not only played well in the regular season, but seemed to always turn things up a notch or three for the playoffs....and that bag full of Stanley Cups  he has don't hurt his cause either....

Everyone not a Cap fan hated Hunter, too, but I'd have taken him on my team any day.   Lemieux won Cups but I don't know that I'd argue that his teams won because of him.   I don't know that I'd argue they'd have won without him, necessarily, either.    It may be a pick'em.  They both had some skill and both were a PITA to play against.

#20-- I suppose Luc Robitaille deserves to be there....I might be biased against him because I saw him play in the mid to late 90's and at that point, he was a still-good, but not great player, and I didn't think of him as anything special.  Dino Ciccerelli, on the other hand, continued to be a pestering. agitating, scoring bulldog right down to his retirement.....plus he played a bit for the Lightning, and was very popular when he did, thus my bias towards him over Luc.

#25--- I think Andreychuk and Nieuwendyk here are a pick'em also.

Robitaille/Ciccerelli made me pause, too.  I think Robitaille gets it, largely because I hated Dino.   Really close there.

Agree on #25

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't usually get into these things, but this thread is inspired by the Lehtera #15 thread. 

I stumbled across this link:
https://www.nhl.com/news/hockeys-best-players-by-the-numbers-they-wore/c-536766

It lists the best player, runner up, and "also in the mix" for each number.   I don't have a problem with many.    It hurts my eyes to see Brian Leetch over Mark Howe at #2, but I get it.

#13  How does everyone feel about Matts Sundin over Pavel Datsyuk?   I was a fan of the latter, but I'm in the minority that never thought much of Sundin.

#16.  I'm okay with Brett Hull over Bobby Clarke.  Begrudgingly.   But I cannot get behind Marcel Dionne as runner up over Clarke.

#19  Yzerman over Sakic.    I'm okay with this, but I imagine that has to create debate.

#28  Steve Duchesne is in the mix?   The #28 must suck historically.

:PostAwardsm:

The Scott Morrison book (shown above) was published in 2007, but here were the picks in the book:

00: John Davidson

0: Neil Sheehy

1: Terry Sawchuk

2: Doug Harvey

3: Scott Stevens

4: Bobby Orr

5: Denis Potvin

6: Ace Bailey

7: Howie Morenz

8: Cam Neely

9: Gordie Howe

10: Guy Lafleur