Rutherford STILL looking to add a 3rd line Center

hf101

With Cullen signing with the Wild and Bonino with the Predators the Penguins are a bit thin down the middle.  Earlier this week they signed the 34 year old Jay McClement to a PTO, but  Rutherford is still looking for other options to add a 3rd line center.  If McClement makes the team he likely is slotted to the 4th line.

"We'll continue to work on it," Rutherford said. "There’s a few options there. We’ll see what happens here in the next little while. But, again, it’s what I said all along. If there’s somebody that we feel fits what we’re looking for, we’ll do it. If not, we’re going to wait until that time comes."   

Who should the Penguins acquire this time to fill the void on the 3rd line?  Currently, they have about 3.2M in cap space.  

45 minutes ago, hf101 said:

With Cullen signing with the Wild and Bonino with the Predators the Penguins are a bit thin down the middle.  Earlier this week they signed the 34 year old Jay McClement to a PTO, but  Rutherford is still looking for other options to add a 3rd line center.  If McClement makes the team he likely is slotted to the 4th line.

"We'll continue to work on it," Rutherford said. "There’s a few options there. We’ll see what happens here in the next little while. But, again, it’s what I said all along. If there’s somebody that we feel fits what we’re looking for, we’ll do it. If not, we’re going to wait until that time comes."   

Who should the Penguins acquire this time to fill the void on the 3rd line?  Currently, they have about 3.2M in cap space.  

Maybe the Flyers can ship one of their 80 centers they have to them.....

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Couturier for Guentzel. 

Make it happen

I'm not making that trade nor any trade that strengthens the Penguins down the middle.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I'm not making that trade nor any trade that strengthens the Penguins down the middle.

Couturier strengthens the Pens?   That's a switch.    Okay.  Lehtera?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well so far, I don't see this as a problem.  The play of McKegg and Rowney in the past two games against Nashville and Washington have me feeling comfortable with the mix of those 3rd and 4th lines.  There's nothing flashy, but they fit in with their roles pretty well.  My only concern is when the top lines and PPstruggle, can those guys pick up some goals here and there. 

32 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well so far, I don't see this as a problem.  The play of McKegg and Rowney in the past two games against Nashville and Washington have me feeling comfortable with the mix of those 3rd and 4th lines.  There's nothing flashy, but they fit in with their roles pretty well.  My only concern is when the top lines and PPstruggle, can those guys pick up some goals here and there. 

The lack of depth scares me though. It's the Pens. Some is getting hurt eventually.

34 minutes ago, B21 said:

The lack of depth scares me though. It's the Pens. Some is getting hurt eventually.

Only if this season resembles the past four.  If someone in the bottom six is injured(sans Hornqvist) we'll be okay.  But if a top sixer goes down yeah, there could be trouble.  But that is probably true of any contender. Look at the Caps, great top two lines, nothing after that. Its just a symptom of the current NHL. 

I think that's one of the reasons Reaves is here. Cut down on the abuse to try to keep people a little more healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, B21 said:

Looking no more. Riley Sheahan and a 5th to the Pens for Scott Wilson and a 3rd. 

I think this was on the burner for a while. Maybe why Wilson wasn't playing.     Hopefully a change of scenery will do both well. 

17 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I think this was on the burner for a while. Maybe why Wilson wasn't playing.     Hopefully a change of scenery will do both well. 

Sheahan is a big center who looks the part but he more runs on his skates than slides, he has been tried in the middle six, tried on the grind line, he never quite fit with the Wings. Wish him well and hope that like you said a change of scenery helps both.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:09 PM, nossagog said:

Yeah - this had an "it's only a matter of time" feel to it. Kinda like Niemi being waived. :VeryCool:

2 hours ago, B21 said:

Yeah - this had an "it's only a matter of time" feel to it. Kinda like Niemi being waived. :VeryCool:

Well the interesting thing is they put Rowney on the IR.  And to fill his spot they recalled goalie Casey DeSmith. Maybe your wish to come true soon. 

36 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well the interesting thing is they put Rowney on the IR.  And to fill his spot they recalled goalie Casey DeSmith. Maybe your wish to come true soon. 

I'd rather a healthy Rowney of course but at least now there is some depth down the middle with Sheahan added. #hoping

Archived