Prospect Camp

nossagog

Prospect camp has started!  Hockey soon!!!   Was coo that Crosby went out with the prospects on the first day.  Looking forward to seeing how Sprong and Aston Reese do. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/prospects-challenge-players-to-watch/c-290916188

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12709032-74/penguins-notebook-sidney-crosby-makes-surprise-appearance-at-rookie-practice

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Prospect camp has started!  Hockey soon!!!   Was coo that Crosby went out with the prospects on the first day.  Looking forward to seeing how Sprong and Aston Reese do. 

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/prospects-challenge-players-to-watch/c-290916188

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12709032-74/penguins-notebook-sidney-crosby-makes-surprise-appearance-at-rookie-practice

Do you think the Pens are taking a wait and see approach on this 3C search because they want to see if Sprong and/or Aston-Reese are ready?  Guentzel is a natural center. If Sprong and/or Aston-Reese show enough to make the big club do you put one (ideally Sprong as he's more of a sniper while Aston-Reese is more of a Hornqvist-lite type) on (gasp!) Crosby's line?

Sheary/Crosby/Sprong

Hornqvist/Malkin/Rust

Kessel/Guentzel/Hagelin

Reaves/Rowney/Wilson

Kuhnhackl

Other than having a 3C who's 5'11 and 180 soaking wet - what's not to like? 

2 hours ago, B21 said:

Do you think the Pens are taking a wait and see approach on this 3C search because they want to see if Sprong and/or Aston-Reese are ready?  Guentzel is a natural center. If Sprong and/or Aston-Reese show enough to make the big club do you put one (ideally Sprong as he's more of a sniper while Aston-Reese is more of a Hornqvist-lite type) on (gasp!) Crosby's line?

Sheary/Crosby/Sprong

Hornqvist/Malkin/Rust

Kessel/Guentzel/Hagelin

Reaves/Rowney/Wilson

Kuhnhackl

Other than having a 3C who's 5'11 and 180 soaking wet - what's not to like? 

I think so, bu I think that they also may give a real look to McClement.    He filled in on the PK for the Canes, and is a real good face off guy.  The PK thing is a real bonus after losing Bonino.     That may also move up Kuhnhackl up over WIlson.   Hags will still get some PK time, but you would think that almost all of our top two lines as well as Kessel and Guentzel will see no PK time.  

On 9/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, nossagog said:

I think so, bu I think that they also may give a real look to McClement.    He filled in on the PK for the Canes, and is a real good face off guy.  The PK thing is a real bonus after losing Bonino.     That may also move up Kuhnhackl up over WIlson.   Hags will still get some PK time, but you would think that almost all of our top two lines as well as Kessel and Guentzel will see no PK time.  

I was just hoping more someone with a little more offensive punch to go along with the PK and faceoffs. Don't get those guys on tryout contracts though. I'd love McLement as 4C. Certainly gives them depth down the middle now....if they bring in a better 3C option.

@nossagog

Thought you'd find this interesting...

10 Takeaways From The Pens Rookie Tournament

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Three games at HarborCenter produced a pair of wins, including a 5-3 victory over the Sabres on Monday. Those won’t mean a thing when it comes to the regular season, but here are 10 other observations that might.

1. Daniel Sprong’s shot is every bit as nasty as it was at the beginning of the 2015-16 season … and probably better.

“’Spronger’s’ shot is unbelievable,” Penguins associate general manager Bill Guerin said.

The two headliners for this event — and understandably so — were Sprong and Zach Aston-Reese, a pair of rookie forwards who are first in line to earn NHL time.

Focusing solely on Sprong, and specifically on his ability to fire the puck … wow. Quick release. A ton of velocity. Pinpoint placement.

Sprong produced a goal, an assist and 14 shots on goal in three games, but his most memorable moment might’ve been a puck he fired off the crossbar in overtime of a 3-2 loss last Friday.

“I’m glad to see him shooting,” coach Clark Donatelli said. “That’s what he does. He’s a dynamic player. He’s a game-changer. He definitely has a great shot.”

An underrated part of Sprong’s game? Zone entries.

“I think that’s one of my strengths — attacking off the rush, using my speed, creating open ice and making plays,” Sprong said. “I think that’s something I did very well in my past. The way Pittsburgh plays is uptempo, high speed and always attacking. I think that fits very well in my game.”

2. Coach Mike Sullivan and general manager Jim Rutherford communicate a lot.

Rutherford was a frequent visitor to Sullivan’s seat at HarborCenter, and the two went over what they saw after every period.

Rutherford obviously calls at the shots at the NHL level, while Guerin will move into Jason Botterill’s old role in charge of Wilkes-Barre. But what Sullivan sees is hugely important, a point that was proven many times over the course of the event.

3. Guerin is a solid fit in his new role.

There’s something about relating to hockey players that Guerin just gets. He’s funny. These guys love him.

Truth be told, anyone who spends any time around Guerin loves him, but there’s a real skill of making a young kid feel comfortable. Guerin, who has a wicked sense of humor, has it in spades.

“Nice knapsack,” Guerin chided one youngster about his bookbag, the sarcasm plenty heavy. Guerin also cracked jokes during pregame stretching and soccer was a regular presence around the prospects.

4. Teddy Blueger made an impression.

Not with any sort of offensive outburst, per se, although Blueger certainly held his own.

More with how well he thought the game, his defense and his all-around play. His name came up in conversation after the first game, and it stayed there.

With a bottom-six center job open, expect Blueger to get a long look at camp. Also expect him to play NHL games this season.

Blueger served as captain during this tournament, and it sounds like the decision was an easy one.

“Teddy’s a serious guy,” Donatelli said. “He’s a leader on and off the ice. He works tremendously hard. He’s dedicated. He’s a really good pro, and he’s made some great strides. Guys like him. He leads by example. He’s detailed in his game. He works tremendously hard on and off the ice.”

5. Zach Aston-Reese is tough.

Not just his fight Saturday, when he knocked around poor Steven Santini, but his battle level around the net and in the corners.

It took Aston-Reese a little to get going — he was relatively quiet Friday — but then he started asserting himself. Using his muscle will be huge. Skating isn’t exactly Aston-Reese’s calling card, but he’s got a sturdy frame and a nasty streak that explains those comparisons to Patric Hornqvist.

After Sprong found himself in a headlock Monday, it was Aston-Reese who came to his aid, followed by Connor Hall, who mixed it up a few times as well.

6. Speaking of nasty, defenseman Zach Lauzon got name-checked by Sullivan among those who impressed him.

“He’s young, but you can see he plays with a little bit of an edge,” Sullivan said.

Lauzon needs to add weight and fill out, but having a little bit of nasty on a blue line that features plenty of puck-movers isn’t the worst thing.

As Sullivan’s said, Lauzon — who said his favorite player is Marc-Edouard Vlasic from San Jose — isn’t afraid to stick his nose in there and toe the line of legality.

“I thought he was excellent,” Guerin said. “Steady. He’s a strong kid. Seems like he’s very trustworthy. Stays within himself and doesn’t try to be something he’s not, which is impressive for a young kid.”

7. Need a name you haven’t heard a ton about but soon you will?

Defenseman Dylan Zink.

Zink’s still a little bit away, but his offensive ability have caught peoples’ attention, Guerin especially.

“The way he moves the puck, the way he shoots it on the power play, he gets up with the play … he plays a passionate, upbeat game,” Guerin said.

8. The Penguins may have unearthed a gem in Jordy Bellerive.

Sure, it was only three games at a rookie tournament, but the 18-year-old showed a nose for the net and produced four goals and seven points.

That will get anyone’s attention.

Bellerive has only played two years of junior hockey, for Lethbridge in the WHL, but went undrafted this summer, the result of producing most of his points from the bottom-six.

The Penguins could use one of their 50 allotted contracts — they have 46 on their books at the moment, according to CapFriendly.com — on Bellerive, similar to what they did with Jean-Sebastien Dea a couple of years ago.

“We’re talking about different things,” Guerin said with a smile when asked whether Bellerive might’ve done enough to earn a contract. “We’re talking about different options.”

9. Take a view of this thing from 30,000 feet, and this much is evident: Everything is done fast.

Whether prospects or NHL players, this organization puts such a premium on speed and playing a north-south game, things that place added emphasis on quick decisions and foot speed.

Games between prospects can tend to drag. Not when the Penguins are involved.

“They know this stuff works,” Donatelli said. “They see the big guys doing it. They see Sid doing it. They see other guys on the Penguins doing it. It’s a fun system to play. All those things combined with really good people, it’s fun to coach these guys.”

10. Adam Johnson had a slow start to this event, but that proved to be all it was.

He was much, much better Monday. More confident with the puck. Moved his feet more. He looked like the center they thought they had when this tournament started.

“I felt a lot better tonight,” Johnson said. “It’s a big jump. Hopefully I got over it quick like that. I hope to keep it going.

“I felt better out there overall. I think I was moving my feet a lot better tonight. When I got the puck, I wasn’t in a rush to make a play. I think that helped a lot.”

Johnston was second on Minnesota-Duluth in goals (18) and points (37) as a sophomore last season. Guerin was similarly impressed with two more former college players in Freddie Tiffels and Thomas Di Pauli.

“Di Pauli looked very good,” Guerin said.

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG.

Archived