Womens Olympic Team not Evacuated in Tampa

hf101

According to a report by Kevin Allen of USA Today    USA Womens Olympic team which has been training in West Chapel, Florida just outside of Tampa was not evacuated for Irma.   According to agent Brent Feldman -- 

USA Hockey said the team was not located in an evacuation zone, adding that officials have been in “regular communication with local authorities” and that “arrangements are in place to move to an evacuation center if necessary.”

This statement obviously was made before Irma's exact strike on Florida was known.

tampa.png

Looks more than close enough to me for evacuation...     Earlier this week NHL teams had no reservations for chartering flights out of Florida for the Panthers and Lightnings team, family and pets.  The rookie tournament in Tampa was moved to Nashville too.

Looks like USA hockey just made another huge mistake.

Bad choice IMO.   There was far enough advanced warning where IRMA could have hit.  There is no excuse to put those young woman in any type of danger.  I don't care if they have a back-up plan.  As we all know, weather conditions can change very quickly.  I would rather have erred on the side of caution than to have put your back-up plan in motion hurriedly in severe weather conditions.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Looks like USA hockey just made another huge mistake.

Totally agree!

Archived