NYI vs PHI prospects game Sept. 13...streaming?

jammer2

2 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Kind of disappointing after such a dominant 1st period.  I thought Hart looked good in net but, like you mentioned, he didn't get any help.

There were some flashes of skill but over all disjointed.

It is like they were not wanting to BE puck hogs so it led to not much play making in the 2nd half.

It is what it is. Still excited but most still have alot of growing/developing to do.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers very disorganized in their own end this period. 

A lot of running around yet doing nothing on the tying goal... third if the league.

Apparently Gord Murphy was coaching tonight. Enough said. The man's a defensive coach, but his defenses always end up in the bottom third of the message. Murphy has zero clue what he's doing.

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

There were some flashes of skill but over all disjointed.

It is like they were not wanting to BE puck hogs so it led to not much play making in the 2nd half.

It is what it is. Still excited but most still have alot of growing/developing to do.

Yeah, that's a pretty spot on assessment. I was pleasantly surprised with Friedman and Bunnaman, which is interesting. I really wasn't expecting them to stand out considering.

I didn't watch the last half of the third and on, so I likely missed a bunch. I found they relied on Sanheim a ton for the first half of the game or so. He wore it well though. Not that he didn't make mistakes, but I found he looked like a highly talented QB for good stretches of it all. This isn't so surprising really, but it is nice to see him develop along the expected lines.

At the same time, the Isles got under his skin way too easy. He's young, and this was a prospect game, so you can sort of expect that stuff a bit. Still, he needs to learn to shrug off the taunts. He's not the guy I want to see sitting in the box for dumb reasons.

Beyond them: Patrick was decent to me. I think I sort of expected a bit more, but he was good. He still has time to show his higher gear. The Russian Twins were great at times and horrible other times. I didn't really notice Hagg too much. Lyon was fine; Hart was phenomenal.

Morin will be a Flyer this year for sure -- and should be. He's more ready than any of the others imo, and he's a beast. Give him a jersey already. #MorinSmash2017

19 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I didn't really notice Hagg too much.

Good because it would have been strange if you had since he didn't play.

Too bad Patrick didn't bury it in OT. I wish he would have dove at the puck too because him doing that created the 2 on 1 the other way for the winner. He'll learn he is young.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/5-takeaways-as-islanders-down-flyers-in-ot-at-rookie-game/c-291047694

From what i seen of Myers he needs more seasoning too.

Sanheim and Friedman were the best two 2 men.

Mark Friedman is going to be a star in this league, whether it's in Philadelphia or elsewhere. The smarts, skill and pose were on display. I'm surprised people aren't as high on him as they are with other defensemen prospects on the team. Friedman is a really, really good hockey player.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Mark Friedman is going to be a star in this league, whether it's in Philadelphia or elsewhere. The smarts, skill and pose were on display. I'm surprised people aren't as high on him as they are with other defensemen prospects on the team. Friedman is a really, really good hockey player.

Thanks for the input. If there is indeed too much defensive depth on the Flyers for Mark to overcome, the Flyers will still need to showcase him to trade him. That may move him to first call up, may let him pass Hagg, who knows? He can be scouted in the A of course, but teams usually want to see them on NHL ice to make their comparisons, projections etc. OR and I have been saying for years, "don't forget about Friedman" but he does have a steep hill to climb. 

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's because he is a 3rd pick who played in college for a so so program at Bowling Green.

I can see him being a Duncan Keith type he isn't big but man he doesn't shy away from the physical stuff... and he has a nice wrister with some very under rated offensive skill. 

He will be a nice QB on the Phantom's 2nd PP i think this year.

If he doesn't find a spot on the Flyers they will get a nice haul for him by the time he is ready for a new contract.

And he is a right hand shot to boot....yeah he has some awesome trade value if it comes to that.

However don't be shocked if he forces someone else out the door....just sayin....

21 hours ago, vis said:

Myers looked good.  Kid is so smooth for a big player.  

You could see Patrick hold on to Myers' stick at the end, which led to the takedown.  

If I recall correctly, Patrick hasn't skated in a while and I'm pretty sure didn't train to the extent he would have liked, whereas most of the other guys in camp have probably been skating and training for a while.  So, even though Patrick's injury feels 100%, his conditioning, strength and skating are probably well behind where they would be otherwise.  For that reason, it will be interesting to see what the Flyers do with him.  I could see him not having an impressive preseason on the ice (and fans overreacting), but I trust the Flyers will see past that and give him a little more time into the regular season to get himself into top form.

All valid points.I'd be willing to bet he's behind the curve in the strength and conditioning part of the equation. He should come on harder as he gets his legs under him. 

Even if he's not dominating in the preseason, you still have the 10 games to gauge him, see how he interacts with the vets, see how he is on defense in a regular season NHL game etc. Something tells me if he is solid on defense, (which I think he will be) then the team will give him a minimum of 10 games to show some flashes. 

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

you still have the 10 games to gauge him

Ron really doesn't believe in that from what i've seen....if he isn't ready i think he goes back without playing any games of the regular season.

Then goes back to Brandon to help them for the rest of the year and then when eliminated onto the Phantoms to help their playoff push this coming year.

And those 9 games still count come playoff time for the Flyers if they need him then.

11 hours ago, brelic said:

Remind me who Hora is again?

Hora was with the Kitchener Rangers for the last 3 years. 2 years ago he was their assistant Captain, last year was his overage year and he was Captain. I actually saw him play twice, but was watching Bunnaman so much, I can't remember seeing Hora, which is not actually a bad thing when it comes to veteran defensemen. I guess the book is he's a solid two way dman with leadership skills and a decent skater. I think with a nice showing, he has a slim outside chance of gaining the 6th or 7th defensive spot on the Phantoms, but he would have to leapfrog a few guys and stand out. 

To me Morin was a welcome site.....he is going to make forwards pay this year around the Flyer's crease...i think Ivan and Radko if no one else will welcome the help in that area.

Morin and Ghost will make a formidable 2nd pair.

I like Ivan and Radko for the top pair with Mcdud and Manning fighting for the bottom minutes along side Hagg.

12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Hot takes:

Patrick looks good.

Flyers rooks really controlling the game.

Korosenkov has a ton of skill. I can't see him not getting an ELC out of all of this. He is always in the play.

Lindblom made a great play to move the puck to the point before crashing the net on the first goal. He's been around the puck and reading the play well.

I got called into work, was bummed I missed it, thanks for the info...and anything else you can remember. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I can't remember seeing Hora, which is not actually a bad thing when it comes to veteran defensemen.

I actually thought he played ok....nothing that really stood out but solid in his own end.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Hora and DeHaas still entry level deals from Amarosa and Drake whom are still in college for the upcoming year but may not be signed....

...i think Kosorenkov will be signed to a entry level to once all is said and done...the kid has some skill with the puck on his stick.

Like all kids his age he needs to learn to play away from the puck and in his own end. A lot of upside with him i think.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I actually thought he played ok....nothing that really stood out but solid in his own end.

In a lot of ways, I think he plays a lot like Hagg. He plays this solid dependable kinda game, but sticks within his skill set. It's a shame guys like Hagg and Friendman might not make it, but who knows, maybe one of them make Gudas tradeable, but I think Guds provides to much veteran sandpaper to be leapfrogged, especially if they don't want Simmonds fighting as often. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

That would do it! Any reason why he didn't?

Because he has already played in 3.

Even though he and Morin were drafted in the same year he come over when he was 19 and is going into his 4th year in the AHL if he doesn't make the Flyers. I think they wanted to get a look at the younger kids.

I think a spot of the Flyers blueline is Morin and Hagg's to lose.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think a spot of the Flyers blueline is Morin and Hagg's to lose.

I think Morin has paid his dues, and a second mean physical presence will be welcome AND his outrageous reach in the defensive zone will help out a lot...he can cut off way more passing lanes than other defenders. 

I have Hagg and Sanhiem dead even right now. Whoever covers in the defensive zone better and skates the best will come out on top. Basically whoever has the better smarts and speed from point A to point B in their own end 

For my money Friedman was the best Flyer from start to finish (though I could argue Hart too but he didn't play the full game).  I recall a turnover he or another Flyer made on O-zone blue line.  Friedman tracked the player and with a one handed sweep took away a great scoring chance.  This was possible due to his speed.  I thought he was great jumping into the play and it was nice to see him score. 

As others have noted I liked Kosorenkov especially in the first period.  Other players had many up and down throughout the game. 

Lastly the Flyers looked tall.  I think the average height of that lineup must be an inch or more than the big club.  The difference with these taller kids (than say a decade ago) is that they can skate which awesome - with Strome being the exception. Bottom line is that I enjoyed the game and could get a feel for a number of players - many of which I was watching for the first time.

42 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I think Morin has paid his dues, and a second mean physical presence will be welcome AND his outrageous reach in the defensive zone will help out a lot...he can cut off way more passing lanes than other defenders. 

I have Hagg and Sanhiem dead even right now. Whoever covers in the defensive zone better and skates the best will come out on top. Basically whoever has the better smarts and speed from point A to point B in their own end 

I agree on Morin. I really haven't seen him play much, so I admit to having only a very limited perspective. If last night is his normal though, he will 100% be a Flyer this season. There's just no other way about it in my mind. He checked all the boxes he needs to and then some imo.

I can't say much about Hagg, as he didn't play. Sanheim was interesting for sure. He was called upon to run much of the play for the first half of the game, and particularly in the first period where they were dominant. As I mentioned earlier, he wore the mantle of leadership well imo. He needs to keep his cool, but beyond that, he was very impressive in that dept.

There will definitely be some tough decisions to make prior to this year's puck drop. Hexy always talks about players having to make the team better to get a call. Given Sanheim's play last night, I fail to see how he wouldn't be a substantial upgrade over the likes of McDud and Manning. If he isn't in the big league this season, I highly doubt it will be because of his lack of ability. It will be for other reasons (age, etc).

I can only imagine how difficult some of the choices will be for coaching staff in the next bit. These blueline prospects are going to give Hexy nightmares.

Archived