Letang not interested in limiting his time

nossagog

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12727489-74/penguins-kris-letang-cleared-to-rejoin-team-for-training-camp

Doesn't sound like Letang is interested in limiting his time when the season begins after his recovery from the surgery.  The Pens better have a plan in place just in case.  Their current NHL depth looks like:

Letang-Maatta

Shultz-Cole

Dumolin-Hunwick

Corrado, Ruhwedel and Pouliot  next men up

I still like Pouliot, but its his last chance this year as a Pen , if he's not in the NHL on a regular basis, its may be time to move on.

18 minutes ago, nossagog said:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12727489-74/penguins-kris-letang-cleared-to-rejoin-team-for-training-camp

Doesn't sound like Letang is interested in limiting his time when the season begins after his recovery from the surgery.  The Pens better have a plan in place just in case.  Their current NHL depth looks like:

Letang-Maatta

Shultz-Cole

Dumolin-Hunwick

I still like Pouliot, but its his last chance this year as a Pen , if he's not in the NHL on a regular basis, its may be time to move on.

You have to applaud the passion but Letang (and the Pens) need to think "big picture". I don't think it is a coincidence that the Pens went BTB in a season where Crosby and Malkin saw career lows in average TOI (throw out the 22 games Crosby played in 2011-12). I hope to see more of that from Sullivan - especially when it comes to someone as injury prone as Letang.  I'm not saying the regular season is meaningless but let's face it...all the Pens need to do is get in. They are 13-10 on the road in the post season over the last 2 years. 

They could conceivably have 9 skaters under the age of 25 seeing regular ice time (Sheary, Guentzel, Sprong, Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald, Maatta, Aston-Reese). Schultz and Dumoulin are only 26.  Pouliot (if he pans out) is only 23. Play the young'ins.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

You have to applaud the passion but Letang (and the Pens) need to think "big picture". I don't think it is a coincidence that the Pens went BTB in a season where Crosby and Malkin saw career lows in average TOI (throw out the 22 games Crosby played in 2011-12). I hope to see more of that from Sullivan - especially when it comes to someone as injury prone as Letang.  I'm not saying the regular season is meaningless but let's face it...all the Pens need to do is get in. They are 13-10 on the road in the post season over the last 2 years. 

They could conceivably have 9 skaters under the age of 25 seeing regular ice time (Sheary, Guentzel, Sprong, Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Archibald, Maatta, Aston-Reese). Schultz and Dumoulin are only 26.  Pouliot (if he pans out) is only 23. Play the young'ins.

I agree the younger players should get more ice time. It would be beneficial for the long term! 

Sullivan should ease Letang into the lineup just to be sure every thing has heeled properly! 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Letang-Maatta

Shultz-Cole

Dumolin-Hunwick

How would you handle Pouliot if he's not a regular? 

6 hours ago, notfondajane said:

How would you handle Pouliot if he's not a regular? 

This is a bad spot for the Pens/Pouliot at the moment.   The best thing is for him to play as much as possible, but I believe he'll need to clear waivers to go back to WBS.  I think there would be enough interest in him that we would lose him.   But if they keep him on as the 7th defender, I don't believe he'll get the minutes that will allow him to grow. He better light it up in camp. 

Archived