Flyers Training camp

xganarchy

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, brelic said:

Meltzer seems to think Read and Leier are in a battle for the final roster spot.

I would take Leier in that battle....Leier has some good speed and smarts....and Read is a former shell of himself...

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would take Leier in that battle....Leier has some good speed and smarts....and Read is a former shell of himself...

Yeah, I guess. Given the limited ice time and role we're talking about, they may opt to just let Read have his last contract year though. I really don't think there is so much difference in what they'd bring to the team. Meh.

Leier may be more familiar playing with Laughton though. I don't know how much of a factor that could be. Likely not very much.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I really don't think there is so much difference in what they'd bring to the team.

I disagree for one reason....Leier has upside...Read is what he is...Leier is 23 Read is 31....so i take Leier all day.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I disagree for one reason....Leier has upside...Read is what he is...Leier is 23 Read is 31....so i take Leier all day.

Sure, I can agree with that. Again though, I'm not sure Leier is such a big upgrade. Read has been a good soldier. Given the limited role we're talking -- literally the very bottom of the forward food chain -- they may let Read play out his last year. I doubt the difference between them would be very noticeable at the end of the day.

Leier also plays primarily LW right? Raffl should have that spot on lock down. Read has played right much his years. That may be a factor.

Side note: I'm kind of surprised Vecc's name wasn't tossed around a bit more. I guess he was the easiest to just bury for a year with no worries of losing him. I don't know that he necessarily offers more than Leier, but I figured he might be in the conversation.

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Again though, I'm not sure Leier is such a big upgrade.

Leier is quicker. Very defensive sound can play the PK and to me is the perfect replacement for Read. And the same size.

Plus he is a natural LW.

I would like a 4th line of Leier- Laughton-Raffl a lot.

Like i said just my opinion of him.

9 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm kind of surprised Vecc's name wasn't tossed around a bit more.

Him being waiver exempt with the current log jam is the main reason he and Vorobyev will start in the AHL. Injuries will come and these kids will get their chance.

I get the sense that Lindblom starts in the AHL. It won't hurt for him to gain a season of North American hockey experience.

He's been decent, but hasn't been as impressive as Patrick, and hasn't show he belongs on the top six right now.

I'm guessing our lineup will be:

Giroux/Couturier/Voracek

Weal/Patrick/Simmonds

Weise/Filppula/Konecny

Raffl/Laughton/Lehtera 

Read

Provorov/Sanheim

Morin/Ghost

Gudas/Manning

MacDud

Elliott

Neuvirth

So that's only 22 players. They could possibly keep Leier, in which case I'd slot Lehtera on the 3rd, Leier on the 4th, and scratch Read and Weise.

The MAJOR issue I have with the forwards is Konecny on line 3. He's been the best Flyers forward by far in camp, has 6 points in 6 games, is a threat every time he's on the ice, and seems to have that PITA factor that makes him hard to play against. What I love about TK's game is that he WANTS that freakin' puck.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

The MAJOR issue I have with the forwards is Konecny on line 3. He's been the best Flyers forward by far in camp, has 6 points in 6 games, is a threat every time he's on the ice, and seems to have that PITA factor that makes him hard to play against. What I love about TK's game is that he WANTS that freakin' puck.

I'll be blunt about it: I want to see TK get top line minutes. He's leaping to the top of my impressive list pretty quick at this point. I'd like to see him with Patrick, and I'd like to see him with G.

I'll say this as well: If TK can perform in a top six role -- which I believe he can -- I think Voracek becomes a tradeable piece.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:51 AM, brelic said:

If that happened, the Flyers would have six rookies, a club record for the start of the season: Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Nolan Patrick, Oskar Lindblom, and Taylor Leier.

Do you happen to know what the Flyer record is for number of rookies to start the season?  Really asking.

Not sure what I think about Leier.   I'm not convinced he's actually an NHL player yet.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Do you happen to know what the Flyer record is for number of rookies to start the season?  Really asking.

Not sure what I think about Leier.   I'm not convinced he's actually an NHL player yet.

They mentioned it on the broadcast the other day. It's either 4 or 5. One of those times was with Richards, Carter, Umberger and someone else. But I think the record predates that.

49 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'll be blunt about it: I want to see TK get top line minutes. He's leaping to the top of my impressive list pretty quick at this point. I'd like to see him with Patrick, and I'd like to see him with G.

I'll say this as well: If TK can perform in a top six role -- which I believe he can -- I think Voracek becomes a tradeable piece.

Or you move Voracek to the 3rd line with, say, Filppula and Weise or Lehtera?

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Or you move Voracek to the 3rd line with, say, Filppula and Weise or Lehtera?

For this season? Yeah, sure. I'd want to offload him quickly enough though, while he may still bring back good value to add to this current mix of players. I'm not very interesting in having an 8 million cap hit playing on the third line.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

For this season? Yeah, sure. I'd want to offload him quickly enough though, while he may still bring back good value to add to this current mix of players. I'm not very interesting in having an 8 million cap hit playing on the third line.

It's definitely not ideal. Voracek would still get PP time, but at least 5v5, we might be spreading the offense around if he can bring scoring to that line. Even if he's overpaid, he's probably good for 60-70 points.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

It's definitely not ideal. Voracek would still get PP time, but at least 5v5, we might be spreading the offense around if he can bring scoring to that line. Even if he's overpaid, he's probably good for 60-70 points.

I do get what you're saying. Maybe just getting him away from Giroux and the top line is a good start.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I do get what you're saying. Maybe just getting him away from Giroux and the top line is a good start.

All things considered for a new line configuration, they're doing ok.

Giroux, 4gp, 0g, 4a, 4pts

Couturier, 4gp, 1g, 2a, 3pts

Voracek, 4gp, 1g, 2a, 3pts

Other notables

Konecny, 6gp, 3g, 3a, 6pts

Patrick, 6gp, 0g, 3a, 3pts

Full list

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/PHI/philadelphia-flyers

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

All things considered for a new line configuration, they're doing ok.

Giroux, 4gp, 0g, 4a, 4pts

Couturier, 4gp, 1g, 2a, 3pts

Voracek, 4gp, 1g, 2a, 3pts

Other notables

Konecny, 6gp, 3g, 3a, 6pts

Patrick, 6gp, 0g, 3a, 3pts

Full list

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/PHI/philadelphia-flyers

TK's TOI in that span: 13m/game

Voracek's: 18m/game

In fact, Patrick and even Sanheim with as many pts at 10 and 12 mins respectively are more impressive to me than Voracek.

I think Voracek is weighing down his line. I felt this way last year, and the year before as well. I'd like to see Giroux in particular playing with other RWers who may compliment him better. For me, that list starts with TK.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

TK's TOI in that span: 13m/game

Voracek's: 18m/game

In fact, Patrick and even Sanheim with as many pts at 11 and 10 mins respectively are more impressive to me than Voracek.

I think Voracek is weighing down his line. I felt this way last year, and the year before as well. I'd like to see Giroux in particular playing with other RWers who may compliment him better. For me, that list starts with TK.

Oh, I get what you're saying. My point was not to defend Voracek so much as point out that they are still producing at a decent clip despite their apparent flaws. 

As a side note, here's some other notable performances in the preseason.

Lyon has a .924 sv% in 4 games, and Elliott is at .935 in 2 games.

Hischier has 7pts (4g, 3a) in 4 games, and averaging just 8:00 of TOI. Wow! I hope Nolan van Riemsdyk, uh, Patrick, steps it up over the season.

Steve Mason has a .904 sv% in 2 games.

Schenn has 2 assists in 3 games, averaging 6:10 of TOI.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hischier has 7pts (4g, 3a) in 4 games, and averaging just 8:00 of TOI. Wow! I hope Nolan van Riemsdyk, uh, Patrick, steps it up over the season.

Now, in fairness, Patrick only started skating three prior to rookie camp. As from his first game up to now, his legs are coming back and his skating is getting better and better and better. Will he ever be a Bure type blazer? Nope, but I'd say Patrick's skating right now is on par with that of Kopitar and Malkin. He's a big man that can really move. The skating has in turn helped him become more of a player on the offensive side and his last three games have been excellent. I think by the time game 20 rolls around, Patrick will be at full steam and should have no problems. 

At the same time, not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Patrick is coming along fine and I'm not worried about how he does in his rookie season. I'm worried about how he does for the next 12 to 15 years. 

Now, can we talk about the defense? That's going to be the club's saving grace this year. Morin, Hagg and Sanheim are all ready for the big show. All three are capable of playing 20+ minutes a night and it has to be a relief to Provorov, Gudas and Gostisbehere that some real talent is going to be on the blue line and that they'll all be able to carry the team on their backs. If the defense fails this year, it falls on Gord Murphy and Dave Hakstol and they'll need to be fired. 

1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now, in fairness, Patrick only started skating three prior to rookie camp. As from his first game up to now, his legs are coming back and his skating is getting better and better and better. Will he ever be a Bure type blazer? Nope, but I'd say Patrick's skating right now is on par with that of Kopitar and Malkin. He's a big man that can really move. The skating has in turn helped him become more of a player on the offensive side and his last three games have been excellent. I think by the time game 20 rolls around, Patrick will be at full steam and should have no problems. 

At the same time, not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Patrick is coming along fine and I'm not worried about how he does in his rookie season. I'm worried about how he does for the next 12 to 15 years. 

Now, can we talk about the defense? That's going to be the club's saving grace this year. Morin, Hagg and Sanheim are all ready for the big show. All three are capable of playing 20+ minutes a night and it has to be a relief to Provorov, Gudas and Gostisbehere that some real talent is going to be on the blue line and that they'll all be able to carry the team on their backs. If the defense fails this year, it falls on Gord Murphy and Dave Hakstol and they'll need to be fired. 

I am being sarcastic :)

I would like to see Giroux with TK and Lindblom, Couturier with Voracek and Raffl, and Patrick with Simmonds and Weal. But that pushes Filpulla out of the top 9, which I doubt happens. 

I don't know that Flip works with Couturier. I like Weal with Patrick and don't think that he fits a defensive role. Lindblom could do that, but...

21 hours ago, brelic said:

They mentioned it on the broadcast the other day. It's either 4 or 5. One of those times was with Richards, Carter, Umberger and someone else. But I think the record predates that.

in 05-06, they started with Carter, Umberger, Richards for sure. Other rookie regulars that played that season, but may not have made the team out of camp: Meyer, Eager, Jones. I don't think these 3 made it out of camp

21 hours ago, brelic said:

I'm thinking 84-85 with Tochhet, Zezel, Brown, Smith...?

42 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

in 05-06, they started with Carter, Umberger, Richards for sure. Other rookie regulars that played that season, but may not have made the team out of camp: Meyer, Eager, Jones. I don't think these 3 made it out of camp

Jones played in game 2, so he likely made it out of camp, though Wade Skolney played his only NHL game ever in the next game, so it's possible he was an injury replacement for Seidenberg or Therien. Umberger didn't play until game 10 that season. Hockey Reference doesn't list the scratches.

Archived