Riley Sheahan a 3C option?

B21

@nossagog - I bucked up for an online subscription to the P-G. Just got tired of "Oh look - a good article!" only to remember my 15 freebies expired. Cppied the article from this morning...

An intriguing and realistic possibility has emerged in the Penguins’ prolonged search for a third-line center: Riley Sheahan, currently with the Detroit Red Wings.

The struggling Wings, who are currently projected to be more than $3 million over the salary cap, have been receiving plenty of calls on Sheahan, multiple industry sources confirmed.

It’s believed the Penguins have been one of them, although it’s worth noting that they routinely do their due diligence on available players.

Would Sheahan fit? Very possibly, yes. Is a deal imminent? That’s tougher to say. But it’s doubtful it would take much to get one done.

Consider that Sheahan will make just $2.075 million in 2017-18, which is well within the Penguins’ price range; they currently have $3.28 million in space according to CapFriendly.com.

Detroit is also looking for young defensemen, and the Penguins happen to have a former first-round pick who might benefit from a change of scenery in Derrick Pouliot.

Regardless of how the deal is consummated, the Penguins could stand to benefit from Sheahan’s historically bad 2016-17 season, the classic case of buying a stock at its lowest point.

Sheahan didn’t score until the final game of the season and finished as a minus-29, worst on the Red Wings and fourth-worst league-wide. He totaled 13 points despite playing all but two games.

The 25-year-old also produced just three power-play points despite averaging 1:07 of ice time with the man-advantage over those 80 games.

Those aren’t spectacular numbers, so the question naturally becomes, why in the world would the Penguins want this guy?

For one, Sheahan scored 14 goals and added 25 points in 81 games in 2015-16. He had 36 goals in 202 games his first three seasons in the league, too.

At 6-foot-3, 226 pounds, Sheahan has solid size, even if he has been unable to take advantage of it.

Sheahan also won a career-best 50.6 percent of his faceoffs last season and averaged :52 per game on the penalty kill, must-haves for a potential third-line center.

Lastly, the matchups he saw in Detroit would look drastically different than what he would draw in Pittsburgh, with opposing teams dedicated to stopping Sidney Crosby’s and Evgeni Malkin’s lines.

Taking on Sheahan would be similar to what the Penguins did with Justin Schultz, plucking him from a bad Edmonton team at the time of the trade, essentially rebuilding his game and confidence from the ground up.

The Penguins have the development staff to do it. It also doesn’t hurt that Sheahan went to Notre Dame, the same as Ian Cole, Bryan Rust and Thomas Di Pauli.

Again, if Detroit is looking to move Sheahan — it sure sounds like they are — and the Penguins are staying active on the market for a third-line center, which general manager Jim Rutherford has long professed to be doing, it may not be long before these two dance partners hit the floor.

Jason Mackey: jmackey@post-gazette.com and Twitter @JMackeyPG.

35 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I would hate to lose Pouliot, especially if Sheehan doesn't pan out the way you hope. Let's see what JR does! 

The clock is ticking on Pouliot.  Pretty obvious (1 year deal) that this is his make-or-break year with the Pens. I'd have no problem if they dangled him as a trade chip. The pedigree will get you something in return.

6 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I would hate to lose Pouliot, especially if Sheehan doesn't pan out the way you hope. Let's see what JR does! 

If Pouliot doesn't pan out we going to lose him anyway. If he hasn't shown improvement in camp, then I'd be willing to part with him if he can help fill our need at 3c.   As I said in the Letang thread, we won't be able to send him down. If he's not ready let's get something instead of losing him on waivers. 

14 hours ago, B21 said:

The clock is ticking on Pouliot.  Pretty obvious (1 year deal) that this is his make-or-break year with the Pens. I'd have no problem if they dangled him as a trade chip. The pedigree will get you something in return.

I  agree with your theory! I hope that the return pans out for the good! 

8 hours ago, nossagog said:

If Pouliot doesn't pan out we going to lose him anyway. If he hasn't shown improvement in camp, then I'd be willing to part with him if he can help fill our need at 3c.   As I said in the Letang thread, we won't be able to send him down. If he's not ready let's get something instead of losing him on waivers. 

Agree with you on your theory! Let's hope things work for the better! 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:40 AM, B21 said:
@nossagog - I bucked up for an online subscription to the P-G. Just got tired of "Oh look - a good article!" only to remember my 15 freebies expired. Cppied the article from this morning...

I just delete my history in Chrome and WHAM....your freebie articles just keep coming. 

A few years back, I thought Sheahan was gonna break out. Still consider him a nice prospect with upside. I don't think he fits well on the Wings. Pouliot would really help the Wings also. One of those trades that could really help both teams. If Pouliot does not pan out, the Wings tried. Trading a 3C for a potential top 4 dman is the kind of trade the Wings should be doing. Well worth the risk, in fact the reward far outweighs the risk IMHO. 

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I just delete my history in Chrome and WHAM....your freebie articles just keep coming. 

A few years back, I thought Sheahan was gonna break out. Still consider him a nice prospect with upside. I don't think he fits well on the Wings. Pouliot would really help the Wings also. One of those trades that could really help both teams. If Pouliot does not pan out, the Wings tried. Trading a 3C for a potential top 4 dman is the kind of trade the Wings should be doing. Well worth the risk, in fact the reward far outweighs the risk IMHO. 

The Pens keep trying and trying to use Pouliot, but for whatever reason, he just hasn't worked out and has spent most of his time with the Baby Pens. He has the skills, but just doesn't seem to see the ice well, I guess you'd say his hockey sense is low. The past two years he's been told to focus on his defesive game, which is telling for a defensemen.  He'll be turning 24 this season, and having not broke into the starting rotation he may plateau at a third pairing guy at best.   If a trade like this happens, it could be one of those change of scenery things that could benefit both players. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 8:22 AM, nossagog said:

The Pens keep trying and trying to use Pouliot, but for whatever reason, he just hasn't worked out and has spent most of his time with the Baby Pens. He has the skills, but just doesn't seem to see the ice well, I guess you'd say his hockey sense is low. The past two years he's been told to focus on his defesive game, which is telling for a defensemen.  He'll be turning 24 this season, and having not broke into the starting rotation he may plateau at a third pairing guy at best.   If a trade like this happens, it could be one of those change of scenery things that could benefit both players. 

So Sprong and Aston-Reese were among those sent so WBS. Not that either were options at 3C. Looks like it's down to McClement, McKegg and (Mc)Rowney for the 3C and 4C spots (per Bombulie article in today's Trib). Still lots of rumors out there about Riley Sheahan from both Pens and Wings media/blogs (Pensburg and Winging it in Motown). Deal in place to send Pouliot to Detroit if/when they find out Athanasiou's plans.

My first choice would be Sheahan at 3C and McClement at 4C.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, B21 said:

So Sprong and Aston-Reese were among those sent so WBS. Not that either were options at 3C. Looks like it's down to McClement, McKegg and (Mc)Rowney for the 3C and 4C spots (per Bombulie article in today's Trib). Still lots of rumors out there about Riley Sheahan from both Pens and Wings media/blogs (Pensburg and Winging it in Motown). Deal in place to send Pouliot to Detroit if/when they find out Athanasiou's plans.

My first choice would be Sheahan at 3C and McClement at 4C.

First choice confirmed!!

20 hours ago, jammer2 said:

First choice confirmed!!

Yeah but it's McKegg not McLement....

Got the right 3C.  Wrong Scottish 4C.

Still...it's a nice move. 

On 10/23/2017 at 4:38 PM, B21 said:

FWIW, Sheahan skated on a line today with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

Line looked pretty solid, and he looked quite comfortable in the  penalty killing role. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:19 AM, notfondajane said:

I was reading the Post  Gazette to see who/what the Pens gave up for Sheahan? I couldn't find an answer or I missed something in the article. :scratcheshead:

They gave up Scot WIlson, who was spending the initial part of year in the press box as a healthy scratch anyway. They also swapped draft picks, with the Pens giving up a third round and getting back a fifth round. 

Archived