PTO List of remaining Free Agents

hf101

Here is a list of current NHLers on professional tryouts this pre-season with NHL teams.  

Some of these players may obtain an NHL contract to fill out an open roster spot others might be added for AHL contracts only.  Who do you think will have an impact in pre-season and deserves to get a contract with the team they are trying out for or another?

Arizona 
Tyson Strachan, D

Boston

Teddy Purcell, F

Buffalo 
Cody Goloubef, D

Calgary 
Tanner Glass, F
Joseph Cramarossa, F
Dylan Olsen, D

Chicago 
Cody Franson, D
Drew Miller, F
John Mitchell, F
Mark Stuart, D

Colorado 
Jared Cowen, D

Columbus 
Brad Thiessen, G
Brady Austin, D
Joe Pendenza, F
Miles Koules, F
Brett Gallant, F

Dallas 
R.J. Umberger, F

Detroit 
David Booth, F
P.A. Parenteau, F

Edmonton 
Chris Kelly, F

Florida 
Nikolai Belov, D
Brandon Pirri, F
Harry Zolnierczyk, F

Los Angeles 
Chris Lee, D
Andrei Loktionov, F
Brandon Prust, F
Brooks Laich, F
Shane Harper, F
T.J. Hensick, F
Sam Herr, F
Shane Walsh, F
Brett Sutter, F
Jamie Devane, F
Phillippe Maillet, F

Minnesota 
Ryan Malone, F
Daniel Winnik, F

Montreal 
Eric Gelinas, D

New Jersey 
Jimmy Hayes, F
Tim Erixon, D

New York Islanders
Casey Bailey, F
Ben Holmstrom, F

New York Rangers
Bobby Farnham, F
Andrew Desjardins, F

Ottawa 
Chris VandeVelde, F
Brendan Woods, F
Kyle Flanagan, winger
Charles-David Beaudoin, D

Pittsburgh 
Jay McClement, F

St. Louis 
Mike McKee, F
Ty Loney, F

Toronto 
Roman Polak, D

Vancouver 
Ryan White, F
Scottie Upshall, F

Washington 
Jyrki Jokipakka, D
Alex Chiasson, F

Winnipeg 
Brody Sutter, F
Peter Stoykewych, D
Francis Beauvillier, F
Patrice Cormier, F

Vegas 
Bryce Gervais, F
Nikolas Brouillard, D
Scooter Vaughan, D
Kenney Morrison, D
Stephen MacAuley, F

Some interesting names on this list.

Team by Team?

Arizona, Buffalo...nah, none of those players stick.

Calgary..... Maybe Tanner Glass in the minors with a call up due to injury. Joseph Cramarossa, at only 24, might be worth a keep in the AHL or the NHL outright as a decent penalty killer/agitator type player.

Chicago...Cody Franson. Defensemen, especially NHL experienced defensemen can be a hot commodity for all NHL teams...even if said defensemen isn't the best you're gonna find.  Franson is a decent bottom pair, extra defenseman to have who probably won't be a huge hit to the cap and has enough time put into the NHL.

Colorado, Columbus, Dallas...meh, can't see any of those guys being impactful in any way...though to be fair, the Columbus players, I don't know much about beyond a stat sheet.

Detroit....if PA Parenteau has ANY passion for hockey left in him, he could be a useful player for the Wings...otherwise, pass....

Edmonton...Chris Kelly could very well be an unspectacular, yet stabilizing player for the Oilers' bottom lines.

Florida....Brandon Pirri may stick. He played for the Panthers before, was decent for them...can even get on hot streaks. Cats could do worse.

Los Angeles..... Brandon Prust, again, if he still has passion for hockey, and dials back the goonery, actually has some underrated offensive skill. He should still play his rugged style, but temper it with trying to make more plays and shooting the puck rather than punching someone's face. If he can do that, he may be helpful for the Kings.  Also, maybe Brooks Laich as a utility forward?

Minnesota....Daniel Winnik perhaps as a 3rd or 4th line center. Particularly if the Wild are gonna keep Granlund and Coyle at wing rather than center.  Ryan Malone? Nah, he is done.

Montreal, NY Rangers, NY Islanders....I see nothing special or even interesting there.

New Jersey.....maybe Tim Erixon finally, as a 26 yr old defenseman, sticks and plays an important role with a team. Seems this guy was involved in quite a number of trades in his early career...meaning someone thought he had something to give, but it never quite worked out.  NJ could certainly use steady defensemen, maybe this guy is a hidden gem for them....he certainly has shown skill in the minors...it's just making that transition to the NHL that has been the problem apparently.

And Jimmy Hayes? 6'5 220? Who has 30'ish point potential as an NHL'er? Sure, I'd give him a serious look.

Ottawa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis....again, I see nothing exciting or even interesting here.

Toronto.....Polak should be given another look. Hey, I am one of the first to make fun of ol Cro-Magnon, but fact of the matter is, he is a big mean defenseman, and if you can keep him away from the other team's top talent and just use him to bang bodies with the opposing bottom six guys, he could come in quite handy.  Ugh, ugh....me want play Tronto Leef again...ugh, ugh.....

Vancouver...Ryan White. I thought he was a decent 4th liner and energy guy for the Coyotes, Flyers, and Wild. In fact, I wouldn't have minded keeping him in Minnesota.  If the Canucks are smart, they keep him on and try to at the very least, turn that aged and mostly lifeless team from a soft mess into a more  hard nosed squad who may lose lots of games, but will be sure to let people know they were in a physical game. White can help with that.

Washington...maybe Alex Chiasson playing with some of the Caps' high end players? He has hit double digit goals a number of times in the NHL and seems to thrive on an offensive minded team. If Barry Trotz hasn't completely shackled his players, perhaps Chiasson can find new life in DC.

Winnipeg, Vegas.....nothing stands out to me, but then, as with other teams, many of the names there are very unfamiliar to me.

17 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

@hf101

Kind of interesting that the Flyers have no one on a PTO, and I think only one invitee.  Well stocked cupboard I would say!:cheers:

Yep.  Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Nashville, Philadelphia, San Jose, and Tampa Bay look to be filling any roster needs based upon their prospects within the system.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Los Angeles 
Chris Lee, D
Andrei Loktionov, F
Brandon Prust, F
Brooks Laich, F
Shane Harper, F
T.J. Hensick, F
Sam Herr, F
Shane Walsh, F
Brett Sutter, F
Jamie Devane, F
Phillippe Maillet, F

Holy snikey!!!!!

LA has basically signed a whole nother team to play!!!!!!!

#interesting

What LA REALLY needs are snipers and/or playmakers.....afraid they aren't gonna find that in this group of PTO's, though like I said, a couple guys might be at least useful.

Hmm...maybe the Kings could use a Jagr........... oh wait, Jagr isn't going for that West Coast time zone stuff.... :bigteeth:

Guys who havent retired but are not in camp with anyone (as far as I know):

Brian Gionta wants to keep playing but has found no interest.

Jagr is rumored to be looking at the KHL to start the year with a player option to get out and return to the NHL if an opening occurs.

Jarome Iginla cannot find a job and may play for the Olympic team. 

Jiri Hudler is probably Europe bound, along with guys like Kindl and Tyutin.

Korpikoski wants to play but was awful in two stops last year same with John Michael Liles. 

Dennis Wideman may have hit his last referee.

The Michalek boys are probably done.

Chris Neil continues to say he believes he can still help someone if given the chance and teams continue to ignore him.

Mike Ribiero would continue to play if he could find a babysitter.

That is the list, oh there are a few guys like Boyd Gordon and Adam Pardy who played more or less regularly the past few years somewhere who are unsigned who may wind up in the AHL to continue their career but that is about it as far as players still hoping to get a call.

Archived