No Captain again in 2017-18 for Toronto

hf101

NO C.png

The Maple Leafs organization has recently stated that there will again be NO "C" this year.  They are not going to keep pace with Edmonton by naming Matthews captain and he may or may not be named an assistant captain.  Lamoriello has said "With the number of leaders we have in that room, we don't feel it's necessary."

Last year they went with four "A"s given to forwards Tyler Bozak and Leo Komarov, and defensemen Matt Hunwick and Morgan Rielly.  With Hunwick signing in Pittsburgh who should get the fourth "A" ?  Or shall I say will Austin Matthews be wearing the " A " this season?   Do you think 23 year old Rielly is being groomed for the "C"?

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

Last year they went with four "A"s given to forwards Tyler Bozak and Leo Komarov, and defensemen Matt Hunwick and Morgan Rielly.  With Hunwick signing in Pittsburgh who should get the fourth "A" ?  Or shall I say will Austin Matthews be wearing the " A " this season?   Do you think 23 year old Rielly is being groomed for the "C"?

It must be extremely frustrating (and insulting) to players like Bozak, Komarov, and Kadri that management would rather have no captain than have any one of them as captain. 

The Captain used to be a veteran player of significant influence on the team. Today the captain has just become the team's best player.

Clearly, management has stated that Bozak and Komarov aren't going to be part of this team going forward, and they're going to choose between one of the kids to give the "C" to -- whichever one decides to take over the dressing room. 

1 hour ago, Leafs74 said:

I'd have no problem giving Kadri the C.

But this is Aston's team for the next 12 -15 years.  I can't say the same about Kadri sticking around after this next contract is up.  

Agreed. Matthews would get there someday, but for right now Kadri is definitely one of the leaders of this team. 

I don't get the concern about the Leafs being without a captain. I'm not against them having a captain either, I just don't think it's important. To be honest I don't care who is captain either. 

I think they should make me captain and I would have to attend every Leafs game at the Leafs expense. :VeryCool:

Archived