Flyers Hire Lombardi

hf101

Just now, hf101 said:

Drew Doughty is a Free Agent after the 2018-19 season... let the rumors begin.   :blowingakiss:

Giroux or Voracek will need to go in order to make that work. Doughty is going to get paid and there's no way the Flyers can have three contracts on the book in excess of $8 million. I'd love Doughty in Philadelphia because he'd be the perfect mentor for all the young guys, but the hit to the payroll might be just too much for the club to bear.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Giroux or Voracek will need to go in order to make that work. Doughty is going to get paid and there's no way the Flyers can have three contracts on the book in excess of $8 million. I'd love Doughty in Philadelphia because he'd be the perfect mentor for all the young guys, but the hit to the payroll might be just too much for the club to bear.

No room for him.

Pass he'll get paid somewhere...

....just not Philly. I'm going to say Detroit they need a right hand shot like him bad.

He will bank north of 10mill per easily.

#staythecourse

17 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really was being a bit sarcastic in my post.  I'm really not a fan of the idea of dishing out a long contract for Doughty.  Lombardi handed out some ridiculous contracts to Brown, Gaborik, and Anze Kopitar isn't worth 10M.   Granted Doughty won't be quite 30 yet but we'd be sinking a ton of money in a veteran player who'd be on the downslope of his career.  At the same time Provorov and Sanheim are in need of new contracts which will be a better place to sink the money.

I'm actually not thrilled of the Lombardi hire.  While he did win two Stanley Cups with the Kings but he also made a complete disaster of the cap space in the process and the Kings have been on the downslide ever since.  

42 minutes ago, hf101 said:

At the same time Provorov and Sanheim are in need of new contracts which will be a better place to sink the money.

Exactly.

The future is already bright and will be on display in today's game per Bill M.

The Sensational Six will suit up:

DEFENSEMEN:
09 Ivan Provorov
48 Robert Hagg
50 Sam Morin
53 Shayne Gostisbehere
57 Travis Sanheim
61 Philippe Myers

All playing today.

Now i want to see this game even more!!!!

Stuck at work!

Lyon in net at this is the forwards:

hb.png

Bill Meltzer

Preseason Gameday: 9/17/17 @ NYI, Prospect Updates, PowerPlay Hockey

September 17, 2017, 9:23 AM ET [6 Comments]
PRESEASON GAMEDAY: FLYERS @ ISLANDERS

The Philadelphia Flyers open their 2017 preseason slate on Sunday afternoon, as they take on the New York Islanders. Game time is 1 p.m. EDT. The game will not be televised but the game will be on the radio (97.5 FM in Philadelphia) with Tim Saunders and Steve Coates on the call. The match will be played at the Islanders' longtime home, Nassau County Coliseum in Uniondale, NY, before the team relocated to the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. The game will also be streamed on the Islanders' official website, but local access may encounter region blocks.

Below is the Flyers Gameday Roster. Note that the entire defense corps consists of young homegrown defensemen, that both Nolan Patrick and Oskar Lindblom are making their NHL preseason debuts and that three Russian forwards (2016 first-round pick German Rubtsov, 2015 fourth-rounder Mikhail Vorobyev and 2017 training camp invitee Ivan Kosorenkov) will all be in the lineup as well as second-year NHLer Travis Konecny.

Forwards: 
11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl
15 Jori Lehtera
21 Scott Laughton
24 Matt Read
42 Cole Bardreau
46 Mikhail Vorobyev
54 Oskar Lindblom
63 German Rubtsov
64 Nolan Patrick
74 Mike Vecchione
89 Ivan Kosorenkov

Go Flyers!!!!

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

I really was being a bit sarcastic in my post.  I'm really not a fan of the idea of dishing out a long contract for Doughty.  Lombardi handed out some ridiculous contracts to Brown, Gaborik, and Anze Kopitar isn't worth 10M.   Granted Doughty won't be quite 30 yet but we'd be sinking a ton of money in a veteran player who'd be on the downslope of his career.  At the same time Provorov and Sanheim are in need of new contracts which will be a better place to sink the money.

I'm actually not thrilled of the Lombardi hire.  While he did win two Stanley Cups with the Kings but he also made a complete disaster of the cap space in the process and the Kings have been on the downslide ever since.  

I'm okay with Lombardi working under Hextall but agree with most everything else. 

As for Doughty "mentoring" the youngins, I don't even think that is relevant. By the end of next season, whomever starts this season will have 2 years in. Provorov 3 years. Ghost 4 and Gudas 5 or 6 (not looking).  Bringing Doughty in to "mentor" is well after it might be of some use.  With those still in the system, there would be zero reason to bring in Doughty, especially at the (ridiculous) money he'd be wanting. 

I know your original post was facetious, so just saying. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd love to have Doughty but as mentioned Giroux or Voracek would have to be moved. Doughtys only 27 and should have plenty of years left. But he's likely a better fit for a team closer to competing than Philly presently is.

I'm having a hard time believing someone hasn't hijacked your login.   Only because this seems opposed to your usual philosophy. 

If this were something for right now, I think I'd still be against it, but I'd consider.   But we're talking free agency in June 2019.  So he would be 29.  

First, we'll have some other people to pay either that summer or the summer following. 

And by that time, the Flyers should be at LEAST a lot closer to competing (if not, we need to quit this program, honestly). 

But in June 2019, Doughty will be 29 looking for 7-8 years and $7M+/yr.  

I certainly don't want him making that in years 33 to 37.  

And by 2019, like I said above, our own defensemen have at least 2 years, others 3, 4 and 6.  Sanheim at least one.  And we'd be done with MacDud. 

I think at that point, there's better things to spend the money and the roster spot on.   I'm not buying. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm having a hard time believing someone hasn't hijacked your login.   Only because this seems opposed to your usual philosophy. 

If this were something for right now, I think I'd still be against it, but I'd consider.   But we're talking free agency in June 2019.  So he would be 29.  

First, we'll have some other people to pay either that summer or the summer following. 

And by that time, the Flyers should be at LEAST a lot closer to competing (if not, we need to quit this program, honestly). 

And by 2019, like I said above, our own defensemen have at least 2 years, others 3, 4 and 6.  Sanheim at least one.  And we'd be done with MacDud. 

I think at that point, there's better things to spend the money and the roster spot on.   I'm not buying. 

No reason to get Doughty considering, if all goes well, we will have our own younger, better cost controlled version of him (Provorov)

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He's still a great player and will be for years....but I also mentioned he's a better fit on many other teams. I'd be willing to trade one of our two big contracts to get him...but I certainly wouldn't give up our top end youth. As for signing him as a UFA for his big payday...nah.

23 hours ago, hf101 said:

As Flyers fans, we can only hope that Hextall doesn't follow the same path as Lombardi in giving out brutal long-term deals (I know Voracek's wasn't a bright one on Hexie's part). I think it's just Hextall helping Lombardi get his foot back in the NHL door to keep him in the game.

As for Doughty, love to have him on the Flyers but not at the amount that he'll probably want and get in the free agent market in 2 years time. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Edmonton.

4 hours ago, Lindbergh31 said:

As Flyers fans, we can only hope that Hextall doesn't follow the same path as Lombardi in giving out brutal long-term deals (I know Voracek's wasn't a bright one on Hexie's part). I think it's just Hextall helping Lombardi get his foot back in the NHL door to keep him in the game.

As for Doughty, love to have him on the Flyers but not at the amount that he'll probably want and get in the free agent market in 2 years time. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Edmonton.

I agree...or Toronto.

23 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

With all the younger players TO has heading into contract years, they would be stupid to sign Doughty to what he would be asking for. 

Sure...but right now their biggest need is a #1 defenceman...and they won't be picking top 10 anytime soon. Getting talent like Mathews/Marner/Nylander is a lot easier picking earlier in the draft. 

Sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger when the opportunity arises. Number 1 defence don't come up available too often. 

53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure...but right now their biggest need is a #1 defenceman...and they won't be picking top 10 anytime soon.

I hope you're not serious.  Doughty would be their #2. Liljegren is the second coming of Orr. Draft steal of the decade.

Archived