Islanders vs Flyers preseason split squad games Sep 20th, 2017

AlaskaFlyerFan

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Gives him time to perfect his game further and give him a greater chance of making the Flyers next year....just like it helped Ivan.

And what will it hurt?? Nothing.

Playing as a rookie d-man is much different than playing as a rookie forward, so an extra year of seasoning may be more beneficial for a d-man than a forward.  Also, many thought that Provorov was actually NHL-ready when drafted.  Also, the team had a glut of d-men and in the team and the pipeline ahead of him.  Not really the case with Patrick.

I don't understand what you mean by giving him a greater chance of making the Flyers next year.  If he makes the team this year, do you think he would stand a chance of not making it next year?  If anything, I would think making the team this year would make it harder for him not to do so next year.  

Not saying it would necessarily hurt his development going back to junior.  Just wondering if it would be better for him here.  

1 minute ago, vis said:

Playing as a rookie d-man is much different than playing as a rookie forward, so an extra year of seasoning may be more beneficial for a d-man than a forward.

Doesn't matter. They are still young and could use more time. He was just drafted.

Were has more seasoning ruined a prospect. 

Ivan had all these accolades....

2014-2015

CHL Top Prospects Game
  Jr Super Series Champion
  U20 WJC Silver Medal
  WHL (East) First All-Star Team
  WHL Most Assists by Rookie (46)
  WHL Most Points by Rookie (61)

...and still went back for one more year and won these...

2015-2016 CHL Defenseman of the Year
  U20 WJC Silver Medal
  U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team
  WHL (East) First All-Star Team
  WHL Best Plus/Minus (+64)
  WHL Champion
  WHL Most Points by Defenseman (73)
  WHL Top Defenseman (Bill Hunter Trophy)

...so that didn't help him have a successful year last year???

I know it did.

You don't have to agree but it may very well happen....so just saying.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

You don't have to agree but it may very well happen....so just saying.

Of course it may happen.

I didn't say sending him back to juniors would hurt him.  I don't think he would regress in juniors.  But his development may be better here.  I would think learning from a professional coaching, strength and nutrition coaches, as well as from other NHL players, might be more beneficial to him at this point.  

...so just saying.

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Burritos are food.

...just saying

I had two burritos (bean! and cheese) with all the fixins for lunch, so I can attest to the truthiness of this here statement. I plan to get on a plane later...and fart all the way to Halifax. 

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have it shaking out like this at the end of the day....

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Konecny - Couturier - Simmonds
Lindblom - Lehtera - Filppula
Raffl - Laughton - Weise
Read

Provorov - Gudas

Hag-Ghost
Morin - Manning
Mcdud

Elliott
Neuvirth

...until i see otherwise i have Patrick going back to juniors to give him a full season to get back to form.

You only listed 22 players.  Who fills the 23rd spot?

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

You only listed 22 players.  Who fills the 23rd spot?

I think that will be a rotaing spot because there will be injuries and when they go on the road it could be an extra forward (Leier) or a Dman (Sanheim and if they don't want to yo yo him then Alt).

Whichever they prefer. Might want to not recall Sanheim for example unless they know they will play him. Just let him play big minutes in the A.

Alt can be recalled practice and sit in the press box if they need a body if that is the case.

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Burritos are food.

...just saying

Matt Read knows this well.  Yes, I know Read lost a whopping five pounds over summer.  Apparently he doesn't get double cheese in his anymore.

I'll be surprised if Patrick goes back to juniors. I think he can compete just fine at this level, and I think the Flyers brass will want to keep him here as well. I expect him to center the 2nd scoring line, with Couts taking up defensive starts. I also expect he'll be on one of the pps, though I'm not sure which one.

Archived