Tonight's Lineup/Final Two Games

vis

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Flyers recalled Lyon so not sure why that is unless someone isn't playing in net last minute...

Haven't seen why.

Brian Elliott is being inducted in the University of Wisconsin Hall of Fame tonight.  Legit reason for missing the game.

The kids are ready. They were great again tonight. And maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think Morin could be a 25 point shut down defender? That was an incredibly smooth pass to Simmonds tonight. As well, his skating is a thing of beauty to watch. He might not have Paul Coffey wheels, but he can really motor for a big guy.

6 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That was an incredibly smooth pass to Simmonds tonight.

Yes it was.

giphy.gif

6-7 and can move and thread a pass like that....man i can't wait till the games count...

giphy.gif

I'm glad his partner didn't hurt him here with that pass to the grill...

giphy.gif

...after last night's game....i still have them waiving Mcdud to the minors....keep Mandog as the 7th Dman.

My final thoughts on last night's game vs BOS (the first pre-season game I have watched)

• Morin was impressive. Was that his best game ever (as a pro) or have I just not been paying attention? He's made the team I'd say.
  • Manning: quietly goes about his game. Roofs a beauty short side and nobody really says much. Back surgery of any kind in the off-season has to be a bugger. Good for him.
  • Sanheim was also good. I can see what the fuss is about his defensive awareness/positioning though. It is a little worrisome I suppose, - at times he looks like a Forward who is playing D for the first time!  - but not unexpected. I haven't seen Hagg play this pre-season. So it's down to him or Sanheim for D7.
  • How do you pick between two? I imagine it becomes about the pairs they like more. Sanheim was with Provorov last night.  On paper, I really like that pair. Ivan could in fact help get Sanheim to where he needs to get a lot sooner than all the game in the AHL. He's that good.
  • Lyon was good. Calm in there. The CSN crew were using that word. Had never seen him play before.
  • Patrick was good, but so were others: Laughton looks like a more assertive player, different. He's gonna make a fine 4th line center in the short term. Once we see some of his sneaky offence, he will become a 3rd line center.

RE:Couturier

I know this will be unpopular with many, however, I think Couturier will be fine playing with G and Jake.

I have always had the opinion 14 sees the ice very well and has very good hockey instincts. In the past, I've felt when he's made the good pass to a player in position to score it was guy that didn't have the best hands or was Matt Read who has been on a pretty steep decline after two good years. 

The issue I saw with Sean was physicality, he is not the quickest skater,  because of that and the fact he's not been very good using his size to shield the puck from checkers, his game in the offensive zone was an odd man rush against waiting to happen if he didn't hedge toward being on the safe side of the puck.

I think having highly skilled Giroux and Voracek on the ice with him will give him more time and space and we'll begin to see a different level of offensive creativity from 14.  The good pass will now be to a good player who can score. I also don't think checkers will be able to crowd him as much and knock him off the puck as easily because G and Jake are fast enough to prevent the odd-man against, so Couturier can be more aggressive on offense. 

I reckon we'll see, I think this is an experiment worth pursuing, could be good for all parties.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

RE:Couturier

I know this will be unpopular with many, however, I think Couturier will be fine playing with G and Jake.

I have always had the opinion 14 sees the ice very well and has very good hockey instincts. In the past, I've felt when he's made the good pass to a player in position to score it was guy that didn't have the best hands or was Matt Read who has been on a pretty steep decline after two good years. 

The issue I saw with Sean was physicality, he is not the quickest skater,  because of that and the fact he's not been very good using his size to shield the puck from checkers, his game in the offensive zone was an odd man rush against waiting to happen if he didn't hedge toward being on the safe side of the puck.

I think having highly skilled Giroux and Voracek on the ice with him will give him more time and space and we'll begin to see a different level of offensive creativity from 14.  The good pass will now be to a good player who can score. I also don't think checkers will be able to crowd him as much and knock him off the puck as easily because G and Jake are fast enough to prevent the odd-man against, so Couturier can be more aggressive on offense. 

I reckon we'll see, I think this is an experiment worth pursuing, could be good for all parties.

Absolutely! I don't think anyone wants him to fail... we're all Flyers fans after all!

That line has been better in each of the three games thus far.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I don't want Jake and Giroux playing together.

Jake is still struggle and i don't want it to effect G.

Find another line combo.

I'm not seeing it either. It's just weird. Like they have anti-chemistry or something.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not seeing it either. It's just weird. Like they have anti-chemistry or something.

Well it is on Jake and his puck control of lack of it.

It's like he is fighting the puck or ssomething.

I have lost count of how many times he has kill momentum/or a cycle once the puck gets to him because he loses control of it. It's crazy someone must have oiled his curve with baby oil or something.

So let him figure that out on another line the Flyers need G playing well and confident and Jake will bring the opposite.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't want Jake and Giroux playing together.

Jake is still struggle and i don't want it to effect G.

Find another line combo.

Yeah, I'm with both of you on this.   In fact, of the big contracts, Jake is the one I'm seeing whether I can unload somewhere.

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I'm with both of you on this.   In fact, of the big contracts, Jake is the one I'm seeing whether I can unload somewhere.

Just retain $2-3M - for the next six seasons - and you can probably make that happen.

Archived