Tonight's Lineup/Final Two Games

vis

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Leier?   What about this training camp made it seem like Leier is an NHLer?   I didn't see it.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Agree wholeheartedly about this.  I saw nothing that makes me think he's an NHLer.  

11 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

I could be wrong, but was there not an option to buy out Mcdud in offseason?? I didn't monitor the team at all once they were eliminated last year btw :)

Yup. There's a buyout period every year. But it comes at a cost to the cap hit for twice the number of remaining years.

If they had bought him out this past summer, it would look like this in terms of dead cap hit:

2017-18    $1,583,333
2018-19    $1,333,333
2019-20    $1,083,333
2020-21    $1,833,333
2021-22    $1,833,333
2022-23    $1,833,333

I suspect they didn't because of a number of reasons. 

First, they didn't know what they had in Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg. They had an *idea* but they are rookies, and without the benefit of training camp, you're flying blind. And it's not fair to dump that kind of expectation on them without a backup plan.

Second, it would send the wrong message - in other words, the young guys have to outright earn a spot and pay their dues. If they get a spot because there's a hole in the lineup, is that really the best thing for their development? Judgment might be clouded.

Finally, like it or not, MacDonald is an NHL defenseman, and we have exactly two players with significant NHL experience on our blueline. They could have bought him out and sign a UFA for a cheap, short deal, but are we any further ahead? At least you know what you get in MacDonald, and there has been enough roster turnover elsewhere, so stability is important when you can keep it. They can buy him after this season once they know how Hagg, Morin, and/or Sanheim turn out.

What about put MacDonald in the minors. But I dont think there sending the wrong message, this is a business after all. If you can't get the job done you are out. He has had a lot chances already, not like they pull the carpet out.

8 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

What about put MacDonald in the minors. But I dont think there sending the wrong message, this is a business after all. If you can't get the job done you are out. He has had a lot chances already, not like they pull the carpet out.

It's business, but they're not ruthless. These guys are still human beings, and we don't get to see that side of it. 

There are exceptions, like Bryzgalov, where the player sucks and the person is just so toxic that you need to get him off the team. I don't think that's the case with MacDud.

Put it this way, Sanheim will not be hurt by spending another year in the AHL.

52 minutes ago, Leach27 said:

I could be wrong, but was there not an option to buy out Mcdud in offseason?? I didn't monitor the team at all once they were eliminated last year btw :)

Well there's always the option to buy a player out but that wouldn't be a smart move financially for the Flyers right now 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

He gives what Read does but at a much smaller cap hit 

Sad but true.  When Read came in he really played well.  I liked his style.  His decline is a bit of a shock to me. 

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

Agree wholeheartedly about this.  I saw nothing that makes me think he's an NHLer.  

You know, if the argument is framed "Read vs Leier" I'm okay. But I don't think it had to be that. 

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Finally, like it or not, MacDonald is an NHL defenseman and the other team's best weapon, and we have exactly two players with significant NHL experience on our blueline.

Fixed it for you! :haha:

4 hours ago, brelic said:

Yup. There's a buyout period every year. But it comes at a cost to the cap hit for twice the number of remaining years.

If they had bought him out this past summer, it would look like this in terms of dead cap hit:

2017-18    $1,583,333
2018-19    $1,333,333
2019-20    $1,083,333
2020-21    $1,833,333
2021-22    $1,833,333
2022-23    $1,833,333

I suspect they didn't because of a number of reasons. 

First, they didn't know what they had in Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg. They had an *idea* but they are rookies, and without the benefit of training camp, you're flying blind. And it's not fair to dump that kind of expectation on them without a backup plan.

Second, it would send the wrong message - in other words, the young guys have to outright earn a spot and pay their dues. If they get a spot because there's a hole in the lineup, is that really the best thing for their development? Judgment might be clouded.

Finally, like it or not, MacDonald is an NHL defenseman, and we have exactly two players with significant NHL experience on our blueline. They could have bought him out and sign a UFA for a cheap, short deal, but are we any further ahead? At least you know what you get in MacDonald, and there has been enough roster turnover elsewhere, so stability is important when you can keep it. They can buy him after this season once they know how Hagg, Morin, and/or Sanheim turn out.

Since they consider him "definitely an NHL player" the other aspect to consider is the fact that they had no need to buy out MacDonald.

As it stands (capfriendly) they have $2.4M in space and could get another $1M if they sent MacDonald to the minors.

As discussed on other threads, it's possible they buy him out after next season - again, assuming they need the cap space - and much more likely IMO that he doesn't play Y6 of his deal.

Archived