The "Crow or Gripe About Your All Star Team Thread: 2017-18

hf101

@TropicalFruitGirl26

You are not the only one in danger.  I am in a serious dog fight with Rux.  I took a couple of gamble in net and it has relatively back-fired in my face.  I picked up Rittich and Miller.  While Rittich got the win last night, I get back to back loses with Miller and Gibson .:rage:

FHL.jpg.png

I can still flip some categories, but I HAVE to pull it out today.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I benched Robin Lehner vs the Golden Knights (makes sense, right???), and while he doesn't win the game, he loses in a shoot out 2-1 and posts a 0.92 GAA and a .971 Sv%

There are just times when you just can't win...... SMH....

I can only hope that either Dubnyk and/or Schneider (if he plays!!) can somehow match Lehner's points that I left on the bench this afternoon.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I know what you are feeling ....

I used up all my moves in Conn Smythe.  Turns out I might end up losing the match because I did not pay enough detail to Hits / Blocks.  By the time I realized it and wanted to pick up Del Zotto, it was too late.  All my moves used up and a very winnable match is going down the tubes. SMH ..... Live and Learn.........

25 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Congrats @ruxpin !!

I am officially conceding the match.  There is no way for me to win.  Great job this week and good luck next week again whomever you face.  I learned a few lessons to apply to next year.

Thanks. 

Things have to go just right for you, but you can still do this.  Not sure if Rittich doesn't start (and win) but it ain't over yet. 

@pilldoc

I cannot believe what I'm watching in the other matchups.  IF I survive against you I could think a path has been opened to me.  Arguably it has, but my team really isn't consistent and every single team has kicked my butt at one time or another. 

I guess it it ends as is, I get Joe?   That's always fun.  Win or lose, it's the paper cuts from his damn spreadsheets that leave me wounded

I struggled with the idea of playing Talbot last night and it turns out I should have. Raanta is slated to start tonight and a good game could change everything for Yave. If he has a solid game, Yave could flip GAA and sv% and will definitely flip saves. this 13-3 then turns to a 10-6 and his skaters just need to flip 2 more categories to tie it and tie goes to Yave

He has 7 skaters tonight to my 3 and is only a few points/goals/assists behind on everything too

Man....looks like I am out in All Stars....

My opponent, Bakimiwaa, has 4 man games to my two today, he leads 10-7.

Theoretically, I can still flip at least two categories and eek out a 9-8 win (PPG, trailing 3-2 and HITS, trailing 45-40), but that means I'd have to maintain all my other categories (all goalie cats are locked now as neither of us has goalies going today), while his four players (Stepan, D. Sedin, Guentzel, and Backlund) do almost nothing for him.....while my two guys (Esa Lindell and Matt Barzal) knock it out of the park and pick up the necessary PPGs and Hits to flip the categories.

Tall order.

I done my best, but it looks like it won't be good enough this year.

Barring a miracle for me, a well deserved upset win for Bakim's team.

Question for @pilldoc

How are standings rated? If I pull this upset off vs Yave, is my all stars position safe for next year? Technically all who advance are top 4

I seem to recall JR making it to the finals in all stars 1 year but being told he was dropped to smythe since he lost in the finals since he came in as 8th seed in the regular season or something. just curious.

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Question for @pilldoc

How are standings rated? If I pull this upset off vs Yave, is my all stars position safe for next year? Technically all who advance are top 4

I seem to recall JR making it to the finals in all stars 1 year but being told he was dropped to smythe since he lost in the finals since he came in as 8th seed in the regular season or something. just curious.

Joe,

That is a VERY good question.  One that I have been wrestling with for the past couple weeks.  The simple answer is.... I don't know??

As much as everyone seems to appreciate/like the YAHOO FHL platform/interface, it does have one significant negative in a league such as ours.  That being playoffs and final ratings for next year in a rolling league such as ours.

Last year in ESPN, at least everyone continues to be involved with their FH team regardless if they made the playoffs or not.  Simply put, it you made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round, you continued playing in the "loser Bracket" to  help determine your final seeding.  That was the one benefit of the ESPN platform.  We determine the final seeding AFTER the playoffs which mean you had to literally earn your way to the All Star League. 

With us switching to YAHOO and that option not being available, I really don't know how we will determine final seeding, if we do at all.  We could say, if you made the playoffs you are automatically in the All Star League next year, but we can't do that since, by our own rules, the top 6 GM's make the All Star League for next season, yet we allow 8 playoff teams.

We could fix that next year by simply only having the top 6 teams make the playoffs and then it is a no brainer.  However we decided on 8 teams to keep the interest up throughout the year and to create competition and drama up to the last week of the season.  You are a very perfect example of that....fighting for your playoff life trying to get into the playoffs.  Would you have cared as much knowing we were only taking the top 6 and you had no shot at the top 6? 

Hence the reason the decision was made to take the top 8 teams for playoffs.  One solution would be to expand to 2 x 16 GM owned leagues.  In theory that would be great, however, it is tough to get 32 GM's year in and year out.  Therefore I don't see that as a viable solution.

Getting back to your original question ..... I really don't know how I am going to get the top 6 teams from the format we have.  Obviously the 4 winners this week advance.  However, how fair would it be not to include @yave1964 in the All Star League next year?  He had a tremendous season and finished well above all us in the final standings.  He deserves to be in All Star next year.  End of story.  He just had a bad week.

One idea that comes to mind as I type is that the "President's Trophy Winner" - the number #1 seed to speak of, is automatically guaranteed a spot in All Star, regardless how that GM fares in the playoffs.

So breaking it down, we have the 4 winners who advance in the 1st round are automatic in All Star next year.  If the #1 seed is not in that top then that GM is an automatic for next year.  Then we can fill the rest of the slots based on how they finished in the standings.

So in this years case, the 4 winners advance, barring any late minute heroics, those 4 Teams are:

• Sharknado #8 (Joe)
  • Hell Bears #4 (rux)
  • Inside Edge #7 (Inside Edge)
  • Bak's Team #6 (Bak)

I propose the #1 seed is an automatic berth in All Star next season, regardless how they fare in the playoffs:

• Putting on Foil #1 (dave)

The final spot then goes to the highest seed eliminated.  In this case it would be:

• Leafs Rasin Cup #2

It sucks but that means the following teams would be relegated to Conn Smythe next year.

• Green Star Blades #3  (TFG)
  • Divine Swine #5  (pilldoc)

I really don't know any other way to do it.  Of course this is my proposal.  If someone else has a better idea, I'm all for it.

Who would have predicted so many upsets in the 1st round this year???? :dizzysmiley-1:

Thoughts?

@ruxpin

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@hf101

@yave1964

@Bakanekimiwa

16 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Joe,

That is a VERY good question.  One that I have been wrestling with for the past couple weeks.  The simple answer is.... I don't know??

As much as everyone seems to appreciate/like the YAHOO FHL platform/interface, it does have one significant negative in a league such as ours.  That being playoffs and final ratings for next year in a rolling league such as ours.

Last in ESPN, at least everyone continues to be involved with their FH team regardless if they made the playoffs or not.  Simply put, it you made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round, you continued playing in the "loser Bracket" to  help determine your final seeding.  That was the one benefit of the ESPN platform.  We determine the final seeding AFTER the playoffs which mean you had to literally earn your way to the All Star League. 

With us switching to YAHOO and that option not being available, I really don't know how we will determine final seeding, if we do at all.  We could say, if you made the playoffs you are automatically in the All Star League next year, but we can't do that since, by our own rules, the top 6 GM's make the playoffs, yet we allow 8 playoff teams.

We could fix that next year by simply only having the top 6 teams make the playoffs and then it is a no brainer.  However we decided on 8 teams to keep the interest up throughout the year and to create competition and drama up to the last week of the season.  You are a very perfect example of that....fighting for your playoff life trying to get into the playoffs.  Would you have cared as much knowing we were only taking the top 6 and you had no shot at the top 6? 

Hence the reason the decision was made to take the top 8 teams for playoffs.  One solution would be to expand to 2 x 16 GM owned leagues.  In theory that would be great, however, it is tough to get 32 GM's year in and year out.  Therefore I don't see that as a viable solution.

Getting back to your original question ..... I really don't know how I am going to get the top 6 teams from the format we have.  Obviously the 4 winners this week advance.  However, how fair would it be not to include @yave1964 in the All Star League next year?  He had a tremendous season and finished well above all us in the final standings.  He deserves to be in All Star next year.  End of story.  He just had a bad week.

One idea that comes to mind as I type is that the "President's Trophy Winner" - the number #1 seed to speak of, is automatically guaranteed a spot in All Star, regardless where that GM winds up in playoffs.

So breaking it down, we have the 4 winners who advance in the 1st round are automatic in All Star next year.  If the #1 seed is not in that top then that GM is an automatic for next year.  Then we can fill the rest of the slots based on how they finished in the standings.

So in this years case, the 4 winners advance, barring any late minute heroics, those 4 Teams are:

• Sharknado (Joe)
  • Hell Bears (rux)
  • Inside Edge (Inside Edge)
  • Bak's Team (Bak

I propose the #1 seed is an automatic berth in All Star next season, regardless how they fare in the playoffs:

• Putting on Foil (dave)

The final spot then goes to the highest seed eliminated.  In this case it would be:

• Leafs Rasin Cup (#2 seed)

It sucks but that means the following teams would be relegated to Conn Smythe next year.

• Green Star Blades #3 seed (TFG)
  • Divine Swine #5 seed (pilldoc)

I really don't know any other way to do it.  Of course this is my proposal.  If someone else has a better idea, I'm all for it.

Who would have predicted so many upsets in the 1st round this year???? :dizzysmiley-1:

Thoughts?

@ruxpin

@TropicalFruitGirl26

@hf101

@yave1964

@Bakanekimiwa

2 things. 

1) i have no problem with the top seed getting an automatic bid, but those who lose this round still have a consolation round to determine 5th-8th  place. It's still possible to fairly base it on final (post playoff) standings. 

2) Consider only 6 for the playoffs next year.  It will solve two of your problems. First, you make the championship bracket, you have your place in Allstars the following year. Second, in a 12 team league with 6 playoff teams, the bottom six get to continue playing in their own bracket (that's the way it was done in NAHANA prior to expansion).  It will keep interest until the very end, assuming we don't have managers who stop paying real attention weeks before that. 

Lastly (and I'm aware it's a third thing), the 6 team format gives an owner like yave--who ran away and hid the regular season win - - a reward for finishing first or second seed because they'll have a bye and be guaranteed a top 4 finish. 

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

) i have no problem with the top seed getting an automatic bid, but those who lose this round still have a consolation round to determine 5th-8th  place. It's still possible to fairly base it on final (post playoff) standings. 

I wish YAHOO had a consolation round(s) like ESPN.  That would solve our problem the most easily.  I guess I will find out tomorrow if they do or don't.

2) Consider only 6 for the playoffs next year.  It will solve two of your problems. First, you maybe the championship bracket, you have your place in Allstars the following year. Second, in a 12 team league with 6 playoff teams, the bottom six get to continue playing in their own bracket (that's the way it was done in NAHANA prior to expansion).  It will keep interest until the very end, assuming we don't have managers who stop paying real attention weeks before that. 

Totally agree.  And that is one of my ideas for next year.  Like I made mention in my post I have no problem going that route.  My only question is .... Does YAHOO have a consolation round(s).  When I set up the league I did not see that option?  I guess I can contact and get a better explanation.

Lastly (and I'm aware it's a third thing), the 6 team format gives an owner like yave--who ran away and hid the regular season win - - a reward for finishing first or second seed because they'll have a bye and be guaranteed a top 4 finish. 

Again... totally agree with this.

So again .... moving forward.... this is all well and good for next year. 

I'm curious to see if there is indeed a consolation round for the 1st round losers tomorrow morning.  If there is .... then this may all be a mute point.  If not .... how do we determine who goes to All Star next year?

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I wish YAHOO had a consolation round(s) like ESPN.  That would solve our problem the most easily.  I guess I will find out tomorrow if they do or don't.

They do. At least they always have in NAHANA. I'm on my phone at the moment, but I believe there's a tab for it on the league site. 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

They do. At least they always have in NAHANA. I'm on my phone at the moment, but I believe there's a tab for it on the league site. 

Well I'll be dammed.  I'm on the League site and I never noticed the Consolation tab before.  Learn something new everyday!  Thanks Rux! :)

Then I guess we leave as status quo and see how the consolation bracket works.  If it is like ESPN, then all is good and we can determine final ranking via that way.

OK folks ....for the time being disregard my previous post until I see how the consolation bracket shakes out.

My season is not quite over yet! :)

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Well I'll be dammed.  I'm on the League site and I never noticed the Consolation tab before.  Learn something new everyday!  Thanks Rux! :)

Then I guess we leave as status quo and see how the consolation bracket works.  If it is like ESPN, then all is good and we can determine final ranking via that way.

OK folks ....for the time being disregard my previous post until I see how the consolation bracket shakes out.

My season is not quite over yet! :)

LOL really just have to hope yave wins the next round. Except that the consolation round has the potential to be populated by 1,2,3 & 5.  

I think we should just vote Joe off the island (kidding, Joe!). 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL really just have to hope yave wins the next round. Except that the consolation round has the potential to be populated by 1,2,3 & 5.  

I think we should just vote Joe off the island (kidding, Joe!). 

Just great :searching: ... if they reshuffle/re-rank the match-ups.... I'm slated to be matched up to @yave1964 who will be looking for revenge.  This may not be a pretty sight ... LOL :lol:  I'm about to feel the wrath of the Foil!

I'm about to become the sacrificial lamb! LOL

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Just great :searching: ... if they reshuffle/re-rank the match-ups.... I'm slated to be matched up to @yave1964 who will be looking for revenge.  This may not be a pretty sight ... LOL :lol:  I'm about to feel the wrath of the Foil!

THINK about one of his goalies being on your team. That may be just enough to get said goalie hit by a falling Dirigible

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

This part I don't remember. I don't think they'll reseed.  It'll continue on as if each team won their round (the winner of you and me would have played the winner of yave and Joe, the loser plays the loser - - I THINK).  

The bad (or good) news for you is that I don't THINK there's any scenario in which you don't play yave next round (provided our first round results remain unchanged). 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This part I don't remember. I don't think they'll reseed.  It'll continue on as if each team won their round (the winner of you and me would have played the winner of yave and Joe, the loser plays the loser - - I THINK).  

The bad (or good) news for you is that I don't THINK there's any scenario in which you don't play yave next round (provided our first round results remain unchanged). 

We reseed ...... it was something we discussed when we set up the league ......  

FHL.jpg.png

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

We reseed ...... it was something we discussed when we set up the league ......  

FHL.jpg.png

Lol oddly, if none of the results remain unchanged, in this particular case reseeding won't change any of the matchups. Weird, huh? 

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Lol oddly, if none of the results remain unchanged, in this particular case reseeding won't change any of the matchups. Weird, huh? 

yes! very bizzare .... again who foresaw the top 3 seeds ALL losing in the 1st round!

Archived