Sad Day - Dave Strader has passed away

AlaskaFlyerFan

My favorite play by play announcer gone way too soon.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20881042/dallas-stars-announcer-dave-strader-dies-62

Stars announced Dave Strader, who had bile duct cancer, dies at 62

10:06 AM CT
  • ESPN.com

Dallas Stars play-by-play announcer Dave Strader died Sunday, the team announced. He was 62.

Strader had been battling bile duct cancer at his home in Glen Falls, New York.

"Everyone who knew him, and everyone who was able to listen to him call games, is saddened to learn about the passing of Dave Strader," Stars president Jim Lites said in a statement. "His voice is synonymous with hockey to fans all over the globe and he built a connection for so many fans to this game.

"More importantly, he was a tremendous husband, father, grandfather and friend and we will miss him deeply. Our sincerest prayers and condolences are directed to his wife Colleen and their entire family."

He had worked as an NHL announcer since 1985, including for ESPN.

Strader took the Stars play-by-play job for the 2015-16 season.

Comments

Unfortunately I didn't get to listen to him far enough, but when I did he was definitely top of the game. He will definitely be missed. Sad day for sure. I will have to tune into the NHL Network because I know they will have something on this.

Back in the day, Dave Strader did Detroit Red Wings games with Mickey Redmond. What a polite, grounded individual. So very sad he passed. He was a pure gentleman, one of the good guys....feel devastated for his family....GOD BLESS DAVE!!

Wow. Strader.

I remember him as one of the voices of ESPN's National Hockey Night back when I first seriously started following the NHL.

I also seem to recall his voice doing Yotes games and then back on the national stage for games on the VS channel (the former name of NBC Sports), and again, if I recall right, this guy was always very professional, very non biased (even during his local broadcasts....much like Rick Peckham does), and had a great voice for calling the game.

With some of the corny, homer-riffic broadcasters going around today (even on the national stages) his voice will surely be missed amongst fans who like a game called very professionally.

Some Dave Strader doing his thing on NBC Sports, here the Yotes beating the Hawks in 2012 in a playoff series.

Happy trails, Mr. Strader.

Archived